A little part of Purple rain

TAE

All you have is now
So we had a little party last Saturday celebrating my heading over the 70 hill.
The drummer and guitarist are from Cheap Day Return the band I was in back in the 70's..... we's all still sort of alive n well
We're old and have maybe jammed together 4 times in 20 years... Dave Macias (the guitarist) daughter was at the party and requested purple rain... Dave knows the song but neither I or Tom the drummer had ever played it with him before...pretty simple song...Tom was playing on my grandsons e-kit and had never played one before so we just went with it...It sucks to have to play with such assholes but a guys gotta do what a guy has to do.

Awesome. So, let me make sure I understand this. The guitarist knows the song, but you and the drummer don't? I'd have bet my life savings it was the other way around. :)

Those e-drums sound pretty good, actually. But they sound like they have no dynamics, unless he's just playing that way because he's not used to them?

Reactions: TAE
Awesome. So, let me make sure I understand this. The guitarist knows the song, but you and the drummer don't? I'd have bet my life savings it was the other way around. :)

Those e-drums sound pretty good, actually. But they sound like they have no dynamics, unless he's just playing that way because he's not used to them?
Yeah they are an entry level simmons and yes he has never played e-drums before. Like I said we're old and he is not technologically adept...but the boy could play the drums back in the day...akin to mitch mitchell / buddy rich mix.

We both knew the song from the radio and the movie ...for sure neither of us ever played it live or jammed it with Dave before this impromptu attempt...There were a lot of first that night including Dave doing a gig with a tiny amp and a zippy zoomy pedal board.... It was laid back but we had a ton of fun...

This was the kit

1697678955767.png

Nice job on jammin'. I agree with RD. those things can be fun. I've done similar, picking up a bass and playing to songs I've never played before but only heard a few hundred times. Of course, I'm a guitar player, but it's just 2 less strings, right?

Isn't Purple Rain basically 4 chords? As long as you know the changes, you can fake it pretty well.

Reactions: TAE
Back