A List of Mics NOT Requiring Phantom Power

Shepherd Jim

I'm a newbie and getting into Field Recording slowly ...and carefully.

I bought a Sony PCM M10 as my first baby-step and would like to now add a shotgun mic ($ range $100 - $300) so I'll be able to avoid some of the greater world's ambiance.

The Sony M10 supplies something called "Plug In Power" but I'm not interested in buying a "Plug In Power Mic".

Does anyone have a list of "self-powered" mics? ...mics that do not require phantom power. For the time being I will need to buy adapters to convert XLR or 1/4" phone plugs to 3.5 mm to use mics with the Sony M10

If anyone just wants to send me the non-phantom-power-requiring mics they're aware of I will compile the list I'm seeking and then post it as a pdf to help people coming along later on.

Thanks! Jim

Usually, only condenser mics (LDC SDC, etc) have phantom power. Dynamic mics (like an SM57 or SM58) do not require. Shotgun mics are usually for video, and can come with their own adapters. Check, for example Vidpro XM88, and on the other end of the spectrum, Neumann KMR 82i. When you say "field recording" I assume you mean recording in the field...interviews, acting, whatever, where you cannot place the microphone in the view of the camera. Depending on budget, you can spend very little (XM88) or quite a lot (KMR82i). Good luck!

If anyone just wants to send me the non-phantom-power-requiring mics they're aware of I will compile the list I'm seeking and then post it as a pdf to help people coming along later on.

Hey Jim.
As said, it's pretty much dynamic mics (moving coil, ribbon etc) which don't require phantom power and condenser (capacitor) mics which do.

This is because of the way the microphones work. Moving element in a magnetic field / vs charged plates and capacitance.

Once in a while you'll see a dynamic that requires phantom power but it will be for another reason.
The signal will still be generated by a coil moving in a magnetic field.
Eg, The AKG d12VR. This is a moving coil dynamic mic, as far as I know, but requires phantom power for extra build in circuitry.
I think it might have eq active settings?

Basically the rules are simple and relate to the type of microphone, but watch out for the very occasional oddball. :p

....<snip>...When you say "field recording" I assume you mean recording in the field...interviews, acting, whatever, where you cannot place the microphone in the view of the camera. Depending on budget, you can spend very little (XM88) or quite a lot (KMR82i). Good luck!

Hey Grumpy OB - It's funny; I was thinking "field recording" in the sense of being out in the world collecting sounds like trains passing, thunder storms, baseballs being batted, etc. It's that sort of collecting which I'm hoping to do. But, your assumpting brought me up short and forced me to look at "field recording." And, it is, of course, pretty much anything OUTSIDE of the studio.

So, my interest in a shotgun mic is to have a mic which will. being very directional, avoid most of the sounds to the sides of the sound I'm recording: e.g. steel streetcar wheels sqealing on the tracks while excluding (minimizing) sounds of people on the sidewalk.

Check this link: LINK TO: /www — bhphotovideo.com — Shotgun

Thanks for that link! I should spend more time browsing B&B, Sweetwater, etc They've spent a lot of time trying to make it as easy as possible for me to find and buy their stuff! LOL

I have started compiling that list of non-Phantom mics ...should have something to post here in a day pr two.

Jim

Awesome! Glad to be of service (HGTTG reference). Field recording could also be about cow pastures... :D I've always heard watching the grass grow. How about, listening?

I'm a newbie and getting into Field Recording slowly ...and carefully.

I bought a Sony PCM M10 as my first baby-step and would like to now add a shotgun mic ($ range $100 - $300) so I'll be able to avoid some of the greater world's ambiance.

The Sony M10 supplies something called "Plug In Power" but I'm not interested in buying a "Plug In Power Mic".

Does anyone have a list of "self-powered" mics? ...mics that do not require phantom power. For the time being I will need to buy adapters to convert XLR or 1/4" phone plugs to 3.5 mm to use mics with the Sony M10

Thanks! Jim
The Rode NTG 2 is a good shotgun mic, powered by "AA" batteries or 48 volt phantom power that is in your price range. I have one I use with a Zoom H4n as well as my cameras. There are other good battery/phantom power mics on the market in your price range. The Rode is the only one I've used so far. I liked the 10 year factory warranty. I'm not an authority by any stretch. I too am an old dog learning new tricks. I'm also having a blast. I've done a minimal amount of field recording on a couple of projects. The NTG 2 worked great for me. For example, I was able to capture some birds bathing in the gutters of a 4 story building with acceptable spill levels.(I was on the ground looking up) You will definitely need a quality wind sock for outdoor work. I have the Rode dead cat for my mic. The foam ones alone, aren't good enough. I'm definitely not promoting any one company, It's just that I have a few of their products. If I was in a different location I'd probably have different brand products. Hope this helps.

Back