A Humble Note of Gratitude

theron

I've been finishing mixes of a "demo" CD that I started right after I got my first comp and first recording gear ( other than an analoge 4 track that I never bothered to explore). My adventure of recording coincided with my introduction to computers and the internet. This all took place about 2 yrs ago. I found this forum after being online for a couple of months

The songs I've been finalizing were recorded parallel to my time spent on the board and, more densely, on this forum. I've learned tons from getting feedback via you peeps acute and diverse ears and knowlege pools.

I've also put my own ears through a rough and wanton bootcamp by trying to be helpfull, truthful and skillful when comenting on others tunes. This has helped TREMENDOUSLY!! Nothing like practice, even in listening and fixing mixes that you've no vested interest in, to nurture improvment.

In Short, I wanted to express MY THANKS to all those that let me listen to there tunes and all those that spared a slice of time and a life of learning in commenting on mine.

While I peck away at these final mixes, I notice that every mix needs a touch of this and a tad less of that. I never would have had any idea as to what my ears heard or how to fix it if I didn't have the advent of your collective wisdom...........

Peace, props and patient tracking....

Theron:)

My two cents -

I have been on the internet since early '94 - started hearing all these incredible stories about online communities who helped and supported each other in their areas of interest.

I think this board is the premiere example of this in action.

The next thing we should do is to use all the knowledge represented on this board to jump out into the industry. Power to the people and all that - besides home rec'ing is only going to get easier and sound better.

Why can't this board run a virtual label in the same way that we already all use this board as a virtual encyclopaedia of audio engineering knowledge.

Hey theron,

I agree more with what you said every time i read a post and its replies. Crawdad mentioned something in another post about missing details when you wear too many hats at once. .........very insightful. Each post that we listen to presents positives and/or negatives. I may listen to a song and focus on one thing while someone else hears something valid that i never even noticed. I cant imagine a faster way of quality learning than this.

g

Last edited:
Theron--the board is such a great tool for so many reasons. I feel the same gratitude. Its replaced some of my ignorance with know how, expanded my musical borders and pumped up my waning goals. As far as songwriting, its taken away a sense of hopelessness and left hope in its place. I'm ready to try again.

You know what the best part has been, though? The people. I've made friends, done collaborations, shared ideas and music with others and have had a blast doing it. Its also restored my admiration for humanity. Seeing how good and decent everybody has been is something I didn't expect, quite frankly. Thats what keeps me coming back. I'm talking about you and many others. If this site disappeared, there would be a huge void in my life.

I'd probably get more done, but it sure is nice to work on something and get some good feedback when you are stumped. Its great to read actual user reviews of gear from people I trust.

Most of all, its just a great experience to be here. As wacked and opiniated as I can be, people seem to put up with me, so they all get five stars in my book. I hope, on the other hand, that maybe I make some tiny difference to somebody, here and there because I like to share what I know.

Long live HR.com!

theron said:
I've been finishing mixes of a "demo" CD, and I just realized how much I hate everybody on this BBS.

In Short, I wanted to express MY SINCERE DISGUST with the lot of you.

Theron:)
Man Theron - That was totally uncalled for. I don't know what would make you say something like that.

I love it here, and I get to mix songs in real-time while people tell me what sux about 'em. And I laugh here...a lot. And not just at your songs either.

Seriously, lighten up man.

:D
:D
-the misquoter

crawdad said:
You know what the best part has been, though? The people. I've made friends, done collaborations, shared ideas and music with others and have had a blast doing it. Its also restored my admiration for humanity. Seeing how good and decent everybody has been is something I didn't expect, quite frankly.

Up yours :rolleyes:

hey, participant--put a big smiley on it next time. You know how us sensitive artists are if we aren't sure whos joking.

OK, OK--so I like those "Golden Ears" :D :D :D :D :D :D

Theron,

Speaking for many of us here, we love to hear your stuff... it lets us know what's possible, and breaks down all those obstacles for we less talented types to actually upload something someday. Sounds like a load of bs, but it's inspiring... actually. Thanks for the thanks :)

Chad

PS: Crawdad, you're awesome. Don't take what this a-hole says seriously... ever! ;)

Last edited:
Theron,

Right on!!

I'm in the proccess of redoing the last recording that I put in the clinic. This is the first time I have ever rerecorded a song from scratch.

The last round of critisicm rang so true that, I feel compelled to do so.

This place is invaluable to those of us here who have recording in our blood.

It's like having an army of recording technicians at your disposal.

To everyone who takes time to listen to, and help make each others mixes a little better, thanks!!

GT

The biggest change I have noticed in my music since I started posting here is, now when I listen to my latest mixes,

the vocals are always too loud!! :eek:

Discovering this place and the cool folks here got me started writing again (which may be a good or bad thing, depending on one's taste or lack thereof). For this I will be eternally grateful.

.........if only to echo what so many others have said already..

.......(can i get a hug or something)..:D (crawdad edit)

jamal

Theron -- Right on! I think you have thoughtfully expressed what many of us feel! I just found this place a few months ago, but it feels so like home (well, besides the wife and kids that is) ...

I feel like I have friends here, though I have never truly met any of you...This is one of the most supportive places I think there is...

Rock on, everyone!

Back