A good, mid-budget studio setup

Ninja_Drummer

Hey guys,

So I'm about to throw my Alesis I/O 26 out the window along with cubase with all the issues it's been causing me. So I was thinking about getting a different setup.

I want to stick to the interface route since it gets the best quality for the money. But I've also been thinking of just doing a AD-DA type ordeal with a multitracker or mixer going into an analog converter then into my comp. I was thinking that that way I might cut up some of the resources that most digital interfaces use on a comp.

But I hear a lot about the Presonus Firepods, although I still read some reviews about issues with recording concerning pops, clicks, and freezes (especially Cubase, is it just notrious for doing that?). But it doesn't seem as common as the Alesis modules. I've also thought about switching to a different program such as Ableton, I would like to try Pro Tools, but I know that is just another resource monster.

Any ideas? I want to stick to real-time multitrack recording, and no I do not want to buy one of those A-trac modules.

I don't use any of that exact stuff--but I use a Presonus unit--the Firestudio Lightpipe. It's a 32 ch in / 32 ch out ADAT interface, that connects to my Mac via firewire. So it doesn't have any pre's of its own--I have 32 channels of outboard pres that go to converters, then to the lightbridge. And I use Cubase. I had some pops and clicks at first (no freezes) but fixed 'em by syncing all the converters via word clock.

Works like a charm and I've obviously got tons of channels--both in and out. I mention it 'cause I know some folks use units like these along with mixer/consoles that have adat out.

Which version of Cubase are you using?

I'm using Cubase 5.5.1 with a Focusrite Saffire Pro 24DSP and am very happy!!

What spec do you need from the interface (Ins/Outs, midi, ADAT, spdif, preamps etc)?

Hey guys,

So I'm about to throw my Alesis I/O 26 out the window along with cubase with all the issues it's been causing me. So I was thinking about getting a different setup.

I want to stick to the interface route since it gets the best quality for the money. But I've also been thinking of just doing a AD-DA type ordeal with a multitracker or mixer going into an analog converter then into my comp. I was thinking that that way I might cut up some of the resources that most digital interfaces use on a comp.

But I hear a lot about the Presonus Firepods, although I still read some reviews about issues with recording concerning pops, clicks, and freezes (especially Cubase, is it just notrious for doing that?). But it doesn't seem as common as the Alesis modules. I've also thought about switching to a different program such as Ableton, I would like to try Pro Tools, but I know that is just another resource monster.

Any ideas? I want to stick to real-time multitrack recording, and no I do not want to buy one of those A-trac modules.

Ableton was solid as a rock for me until the last few updates, now if i switch from my other daw it just hangs, Ive rolled it back from the last four updates cant figure out why :o

My next interface will be presonus as Studio One will be my next DAW I think...I demoed it and got along with it straight away..The plugins are pretty basic and the instruments are meh but I run DSP cards and outboard most of the time anyway...workflow is the best Ive tried outside Live

i've had my issues with the pops and clicks but have allways had a
presonus tech fix them, it was only when i made computer upgrades.
once its working, i love them.
two firepods
cubaseE4

I've got a MOTU 2408... and love it for it's versatility. Analog, adat, spdif,TDIF I/O ... there's nothing you can't mix and match through this box... no preamps though, which I actually prefer... decent sounding converters and multiple syncing option (as well as sample accurate adat sync)

Back