A few questions, please R & R

Cobra67

I'm just starting to get into recording. I haven't purchased anything yet. I'm looking to purchase a Tascam 424mkIII (I hear it's good). :) I guess my question is: What exactly do I need to record othan than a multitrack? Will a regular dual cassette boombox do alright? Or do I need a special one? Like I said, I've never done this before. I'll probably buy the Tascam 424 and just start reading the instructions and hope for the best. Also how would I record and edit stuff on my computer? (without having a digital recorder). Any help would be very....well...helpful. Thanks ahead of time.

[This message has been edited by Cobra67 (edited 07-09-2000).]

Oh Great Cobra who hisses:

Man, you need to decide which way you want to record: digital box self-contained or a PC.

If you just buy a regular 8 track box, always buy at least 8 tracks, you will need FX. Some boxes come with built-in FX and other goodies. But, you will most definitely need FX or your vocals will sound like Donald Duck singing on Mars.

If you decide to stay mostly analog to mix down, you will need a good tape deck; or you can go PC and have a mix down set-up to do red book CD's.

You need to research a bit more; maybe find somebody in your area who has a home studio and see if you can get a look at it.

Don't believe all the advertising you read of how easy it is to use certain boxes; ALL OF THEM HAVE THEIR CLOUDY MANUAL AREAS. The Yam MD-8 is easy to plug in and record; but, you will need an FX box to loop into the MD-8.

Good luck and keep asking, and, don't get hissed-off.

Green Hornet

[This message has been edited by The Green Hornet (edited 07-15-2000).]

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>What exactly do I need to record othan than a multitrack? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Instruments, and microphones.
A multi-effects box will also be VERY useful. A microphone preamp so you can put the song into a compressor before you record it would also be very useful.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Will a regular dual cassette boombox do alright? Or do I need a special one?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You have absolutely no use for a boombox. If you want to send casette demos to record companies (seems most of them still want demos on casette) then you need something better than a boombox. You need a proper casette deck. Will cost you $200 or so, I guess.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Also how would I record and edit stuff on my computer? (without having a digital recorder). <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ehm, well, a computer with a soundcard IS a digital recorder... :) What kind of editing did you have in mind? If you have a decent computer with a decent soundbord, you can buy N-track HD-recording software and forget about the Tascam altogether.

Back