A classic 45 single recorded in 1970 by my Dad

boydrj

Hello everyone ...

Way back in the 60's, my Dad was in Vietnam (Air Force) and he was part of a band called "The Live Wires"...During breaks from having to fight the god-awful war, they would tour different bases and play.

On one of their leaves, they were actually able to cut a 45 single. This was recorded on September 4, 1970 and is the A side of that single. I love this for sentimental reasons of course, but thought it might be fun to post for you all (and for my Dad too)...The song is taken directly off of the 45, so there is some vintage vinyl dirt on there.

This was recorded in a little recording studio. My Dad is playing the guitar and singing back-up. The lead singer is named Rod (I can't remember his last name) and he was my Dad's best friend.

Hope you enjoy it (it is pretty vintage...has a cool 60's vibe to it...almost Yardbird'ish)

"Help Me Find My Love"

http://www.nowhereradio.com/theinside/singles

p.s. Today is his 56th birthday, so I am sending this out to him as a BD present as well -- okay, I'm not that cheap, I got him something else too of course -- lol --:)

Enjoy!

This one really takes me back. Its interesting how they mixed back then--vocals real hot, drums and bass way back there. Those cascading vocals sound pretty retro, not to mention the fuzzone solo...I wonder if anybody could actually make recordings that sound like this now? I enjoyed it.

I posted some 60's recordings a few months ago myself and I see a lot of similarities. This one should bring back some good memories for your dad.

This is really interesting. A rare chance to hear a way old "home-recording", if you will. Of course this wasn't exactly home-recording, since it was in a studio.

Yeah, it's instantly recognisable that this isn't exactly a new recording. But I don't mean it in a bad way. There's some unique things that are kinda forgotten now. Like nowadays those kind of harmony vocals are not used. I'd like to hear more of this stuff. This song really doesn't pale in comparison to 60's/70's pop tunes.

And the mix... well, there's absolutely NO POINT for me to comment on that due to obvious reasons :D

Well for one I think the drums need tons of work but thats just the start.

Just kidding. cool song. Neat solo, no shreddy showoff's in those days.

Pretty damned cool. Sounds a lot like the early Association.
Definitely pop-festival material. Crawdad's right.....the sound actually lets you know what era it's from....personally I like vocals like these a bunch.

Thanks Guys! Yes, this totally takes me back as well! I'm not sure what my Dad did with all of the pressings, but he only has one left so I'm assuming that they probably didn't press very many. I don't know if this ever got any radio play or anything, but I just love that vintage sound!

Crawdad -- Thanks man! I did check out your tunes a while back and they also have that vintage sound! The sound that you cannot get with digital gear (or if you can, I've yet to hear it) And the mixing is sooo 60's! Thanks for lending your ear!

Cranky -- Almost a "Home recording" -- actually my Dad and Rod had an old Two Track reel to reel that they used to use as a scratchpad to put some of their songs down on. This one, though, was in a real studio. I'm thinking probably four track.

Jake -- Thanks, ha ha! :) Those drums are mixed way back...I don't know who the drummer was on this session. Maybe he didn't last very long cos' my Dad never talks about him. Thanks for the listen.

Lt. Bob -- Glad to see you're back! Thanks for the listen! I totally dig those vocals too. Now if you can add some horns ... :) Thanks again! My Dad will think this is really great that his song is getting some "airplay" after all of these years! :)

Very cool

Thumbs way up! Must be cool to have a Dad musician. I did not. Tell him he's still cool. All dads need to hear that for sure.

Brian

I like it. The rythym guitar sounds very african. This could almost be Fela Kuti until the vocals come in. And that fuzz guitar is bizarre sounding. Definately very different from the mixes you hear today.

this is cool man, i love the vibe and the vintage sound.

I am thinking about getting a soundcraft mixer and getting my stuff down to an 8 track arrangement digitally (my Aardvark card only has 8 outputs), then running out and doing all of my mixing analog, in the soundcraft.

use the EQ etc. on that unit...

it's an enviable vibe...cool song too.

-wes

This is really cool!
Those guys really had the sound man!:D

Does your dad still play?

Really enjoyed it,hope he has a good birthday!

Pete

oh yeah.... very cool. I love those vocals. Nice buzzy geetars.
What bases did he get to? dude, we could be brothers... :eek:

wow man, cool stuff. Yeah, this is definitely a great piece of nostalgia here. Its cool that you put this thing on a safe medium for keepings sake. I know this must just be memory packed for your dad. I listen to stuff i did in the early eighties and it takes me back to the old days. ......what with this being part of the whole vietnam era, this must just be a trip for your dad.

.......cool stuff man, thanks for sharing

g

btw: you should have your dad throw up a response to this. I would love to hear a little bit of the history behind this.

Thanks everyone! I am going to print out these responses and give them to my Dad to see if he would like to contribute...

SixStringBlues -- Thanks for taking a listen! Definitely great having a musician for a Dad (my Grandpa was also a musician who played Bluegrass with the best of them...)

Chris -- Ha Ha .. too funny! Thanks man! :)

Cop -- Well, he was in Vietnam (don't know what kind of African rhythms they have out there...never been myself) ... He was a co-writer of this song and I know their influences were Beatles, Beach Boys and that ilk...Thanks for taking a listen!

Charva -- I actually thought about cleaning it up a bit, but I just like that vintage sound...I actually do have a little bit more cleaned up version that I'll be putting on a CD for myself...

Wes -- Thanks for the listen, and good luck with your experiment. Let me know how it goes because I am always striving for that sound myself...:)

Muze -- Thanks man! Unfortunately my Dad had an accident about fifteen years ago and broke his wrist pretty bad. Since then he just tinkers, but doesn't play like he used to :( I wish he did. Thanks again!

Rat -- Thanks man! Appreciate the listen! :)

JR -- I don't know too much about the recording. I'm thinking they might have used a Fendor bass, but I'm not sure. I'll need to get more details. Thanks again!

Gidge -- Thanks man! I'm going to print this out and give it to him!

Guernica -- Thanks! Oh yeah, cool nostalgia! The B-side of this single I almost posted, but it is a slower number and not quite as good...but still has that 60's quality! I really dig that fuzz solo...I'm going to ask him if he would like to say a few words on the recording, etc...

Thanks everyone! Sorry I have been hogging up this place on not commenting on others tunes these past few days...(it has been busy around here)...I'll get back to you all asap :) :) :)

nice... loose, improvisational almost... way cool that your dad had a recording.... my poor pops couldn't carry a tune in a bucket full of canarys. Happy B-Day to the dad-man! :)

Chad

My mother told me that my dad used to sing to her on the local radio station before they were married...wished he would of recorded something of it. This is really kool boydjr!

boydrj said:
JR -- I don't know too much about the recording. I'm thinking they might have used a Fendor bass, but I'm not sure. I'll need to get more details. Thanks again!

no no no... I meant which military bases did he get to? I was born at the end of 1970 near Clark Air Force Base in the Phillipines and put in an orphanage there... hence the brothers joke meaning maybe your Dad was a rock star. :cool: ;)

Back