I think the vocal timing got out of sync in my mix. I will repost later.
Fishmed, I like that yours has a really well-supported mid-range minus the harshness. What did you do?
I used an Oxford EQ to notch it at 1khz and again at 2.8khz, the Cubase EQ to roll off the highs a half db from like 6k and up, put an LA-2A plug on it, then ran it through an outboard 1176, a JDK compressor and a JDK EQ (don't recall the settings), then printed that to a new track and tweaked it a hair more with a Pultec plugin and another 1176 (plugin). It then got EQ'd and compressed again with plugins on the vocal grouping and again through the outboard stuff when I printed through the summing amp. All the compressors were set to barely touch it. The automation was doing all the heavy lifting.
After all that effort, I don't think my attempt at it was as good as most of you guys. Oh well, I have three more tracks to mix so I'll have plenty of practice.
Fishmed, I took your advice as a jumping off point for the next song I'm mixing with this same vocalist and it worked pretty well. I can certainly get away with a lot less automation and I was surprised to find that it didn't sound overly compressed even though I was hitting the 1176 pretty hard. I put a DeEsser on it at 5.6k and it's really close to done before any other EQ. Thanks for the perspective!