8 tracks and preamps

tbone36109

Ok, so Im planning on getting an extra 8 tracks on my computer(i will need preamps for the tracks too), the only problem is Im not entirely sure which route I should take to do it. The most likely option is the Firepod(I need to stay below $600, haha and please dont tell me to spend to much more because im very weak and will end up spending money i dont have on fun new toys :p )The other option is getting an 8 or so input soundcard such as the delta1010 or the hercules fw 16/18 and spending the extra 300-350 on 8 pres. Mainly I'm wondering if i could get 8 pres for that cost that would compare to the ones found in the firepod or if the firepod is the best option for cost.

At that price, to me,the out board pres might not be much better than the ones on your card or a cheap mixer. If it was me, for pres anyway, I would save to get the best single channel I could and record everything through that, one at a time. Also, that way your not stuck with 8 of the same "flavor" of mic pre.

You might also look into the "Alesis 16 Channel Firewire Mixers" which will allow you to record 16 Tracks at once and they have 8 Mic Pre"s....

Cheers

well I have a few different mic pres already but they are already being used in other places, and I typicaly multitracks most things, I just need more inputs than I already have because of a need for more drum mics recently.
I just found a guy who might sell me a digi 001 for about 140, that would leave me a bit to get pres so i was wondering if ill have any problems with the digi 001 soundwise or with latency wise(it will be software monitoring not hardware)

I don't think that the Digi 001 is supported anymore by DigiDesign, so updates to drivers and stuff might be tough. If it works well with your current setup, then you could be in good shape.

the behringer preamps wouldnt be as good as the firepods would they?the ones i have heard in the mixing boards are thin and noisy

Back