7 string vs "baritone" 6 string

Guitarfreak585

Your thoughts. I played a 7 string this weekend and actually enjoyed it. And I've been looking to get another guitar to handle a lower tuning. Now I'm torn again lol.

I have never played either (seems to be my day to comment on things I have no experience on...) I do play, on occasion, a tenor guitar, so I guess I have something to say on this matter... maybe not, but I'm gonna say it, anyway.

Both (as well as a tenor guitar) are kinda niche instruments, and IMO which you would get would depend on how and what you play. 7-stringers seem to be for wild-n-crazy lead guitarist, whereas bari's are for, like you said, for lower tunings. Personally, I would love to be a part of a progressive, rock-influenced guitar ensemble that would include bass, bari, "normal," and tenor guitar, plus maybe mando and a steel-string uke or two (if such a thing even exists.) So, for me, I'd want the bari.

But that's just me. Talking about things I know nothing about. Or almost nothing. Just because my GF left me a couple months' ago and I got no one to talk about. Man, this sucks.

After talking with the band and things we came down to this. Either guitar i buy, will only add a few songs to our play list most likely. But, the 7 string might add more depth to our songs in standard tuning. So i think thats the way to go.

Plus, ill be able to play/learn Unearth material and i need that. Anything i can do to play more intricate stuff. Ive been stagnant for a long time.

I've owned a baritone 6 and currently own a 7 and have also owned an 8 string.

They are all night and day different. If you are super used to a standard scale 6 string, then a baritone might feel REALLY wierd. It's border line like playing a bass (I said like, not is haha).

Some things I noted:

Baritone 6: Would do drop tunings really well, I didn't like how it played in anything higher than standard B tuning (mine was 27" scale). Strings had to be ordered because not even guitar center stocked them (the lowest string I ran on mine was a .070).

7 String: Plays a lot more like a standard 6, just add the lowest string. Strings are really easy to find because I can usually either just buy a 7 string set or take a 6 and add a .052 or something.

8 String: (28.625" scale), biggest nightmare with this thing was finding a string for that low F# string. My 8 needed a longer string for that position so even some baritone strings were to short. All in all I would never own one again. :lol: Traded it for a standard scale 6.

Haha wooow i think im safe in saying that an 8 string may be too low even for me haha. I never thought id be considering a 7 string before, but i want that drop Ab man haha. I dont think ive got anything that would push the 8 and make it sound like anything more than mud either. But the 7 string i played at guitar center sound nice and chunky down low, even at a low volume. I bet itd sound frickin awesome through my half stack.

Haha wooow i think im safe in saying that an 8 string may be too low even for me haha. I never thought id be considering a 7 string before, but i want that drop Ab man haha. I dont think ive got anything that would push the 8 and make it sound like anything more than mud either. But the 7 string i played at guitar center sound nice and chunky down low, even at a low volume. I bet itd sound frickin awesome through my half stack.

7 strings are great as they afford you the ability to play regular stuff on them. And you are right, I just couldn't do anything with those extra 5 notes so ultimately I ended up being annoyed that they were there.

I always thought that 8 string guitars were 7 strings with a high A instead of adding a lower string.

Not the current trendy ones. haha

Honestly another higher string would have been more usefull/neat.

A lot of guys seem to be dropping that low F# down to E for some interesting arp patterns. I just couldn't get used it it. The neck felt fine in my hands and I had no problems being comfortable on it, I just couldn't come up with anything cool other than one note stuff on those lower notes (they really just turned to mush when put into chords).

In fact, look at this monstrosity. (and yes they went even lower)

septorelite928ebcephtribalred1.jpg

septorelite928ebcephtribalred4.jpg

septorelite928ebcephtribalred3.jpg

septorelite928ebcephtribalred5.jpg

Double cutaway light weight Mahogany arch top body with gloss finish

28.625" scale 5 piece neck-thru body design with 24 Jumbo Frets. 15” radius. Width 2 1/2” at the nut 3 1/8" at the 12th fret and 3 3/8" at the 24th fretThickness at the 1st fret: 13/16" at the 12th 15/16"

Ebony fretboard with no markers. Position markers are located on the side of the neck.

Cepheus 9 passive pickups

Cepheus 9 Extended Range Bridge.

Grover Die-cast Sealed Tuners with 18-1 ratio

Labella String gauges: .009, .012, .015, .022, .030, .040, .054, .074 .090

I wants dis one.

Horizon-NT-7_BLK.jpg

But, for a grand or so less, this one is much more likely.

H-1007_STBLK.jpg

Actually, it's gonna frickin happen. I want it so bad I can't see straight.

I have an EC 1000 deluxe and totally approve of that guitar.

Also: I have not heard anything cool played on a 9 string yet. :lol:

Honestly the 8 string I had needed new pickups like REALLY bad. Those low notes just got muddy on the cheapos that came with it. It's amazing how new pickups can tighten a guitar up. Since I am unaware of anyone making aftermarket 9 string pickups I kind of doubt that guitar (for the price) sounds that great with the low notes.

But the trick to playing an 8 string with any ineligibility of the lower notes is not NOT increase the bass on the amp, don't use a spongy amp and have speaker that bark in the mid range like vintage 30s.

Haha yeah Ive got an M-1000 right now as my main guitar. Esp is really the only brand i want anymore. Ive played so many of em, and even the cheap ones still felt like decent guitars. And mine is one of the best feeling ones ive ever played. Dont fix what aint broken lol. Plus the H1007 has the EMGs in it too, so i know itll be tight sounding.

I would go for the 7-string to keep a standard 6-string feel with more range. You might like baritones though, like me. The first time I touched a 27" scale guitar, I was sold. There's wider frets, which means slightly more room above the 12th fret, something I've always needed since I have large hands. I'm an 8-string guitarist that has a custom 9-string being built with a high A. Honestly, I hardly touch my 6-strings unless I need a specific guitar sound, and they feel strange after handling 7/8s for awhile.

Back