$6,000,000 Guitar!

Flamin Lip

http://www.rjguitar.com/enter.php

This guy is selling what is allegedly reported to be Robert Johnsons guitar.

Check out the "proof" page where he details the similarities of this guitar to the only known photo of RJs L1.

I smell bullshit. Especially when he talks about the "neck join", and the "tone".

Would be cool though if you really had his guitar w/ a clean provenance.

Did a little more digging and a couple of other red flags came up. The guy seling it is an autograph dealer, and he will not divulge where he got it or where its been for the last 7 decades. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm?

Only 6 million bucks? Well shit, I'll take two! :rolleyes: I wonder how brown the seller's eyes are, 'cause I seem to be catching a whiff of bullshit all the way over here... :D

OK this seller is a real piece of work.... went to his website(below) and he has all sorts of stuff that I wouldnt fuck with a stolen dick! For instance, he is selling the Double Fantasy album that John Lennon signed for Mark David Chapman before he killed him(ICK!), and he has a book signed from Hitler to Eva braun(gross!!!!!).

Check it out!

http://www.momentsintime.com/

What a nut case! Who would want to pay that much for a crappy beat up guitar? I don't care who owned it...

Cyrokk said:
Does it have superhuman strength and vision?

It has the directions to the Crossroads scratched into the back, and gin-u-wine plastic tuning knobs. :D

skyguitarworks said:
ya gotta give him an "A" for effort........what an idiot this guy seems to be

Maybe.....maybe not. All depends on how many other bigger idoits are are willing to buy from him.

timboZ said:
What..........No case with it.... :confused: :confused:
Didn't you read everything? It comes with a plywood arched(?...isn't that guitar a flattop?) case. Surely it's worth the money now.

Flamin Lip said:
For instance, he is selling the Double Fantasy album that John Lennon signed for Mark David Chapman before he killed him(ICK!)

Check it out!

http://www.momentsintime.com/
It certainly looks like Lennon's signature. Isn't it strange though how Double Fantasy was only released a couple of months before his death, but that particular album is beat as hell. You'd think the owner would have taken incredible care of that.

...and Casanova's underpants - the stretch marks attest to a perpetually engorged pistle that could only be the famous amourists as indesputably demonstrated on the inside sleeve of his mother's camisole.
The white stains, sadly, are not DNA material but the light from a spring afternoon on the banks of Venice's Grand Canal. One of the many canal's Casanova went up in his well documented search for syphillus.

birthday boy said:
What a nut case! Who would want to pay that much for a crappy beat up guitar? I don't care who owned it...

Dont get me wrong, this is a way more important guitar than lots of other icon auction guitars....... I think Claptons Brownie went for close to that and Im sure if Jimmy Pages #1 was sold it would command the same price, and after all, they pretty much just ripped off RJ anyway! :) Especialy Page!! :) :0

I just dont think its legit, as there is no way to directly trace it back to him or his family. All that crap about the dot markers not being centered seems like a bit of a stretch! Im sure Gibson had pretty decent production numbers on L1s back then too. Also, the arguement that the "tone is so similar" is garbage!

I agree with the sceptics; the 'proof' is just far too tenuous.

However, the guitar presumably does exist somewhere - Alan Lomax maintains that Julia Ann Majors, Johnson's mother, kept the guitar after her son's death. He also claims that he was shown what was purportedly Johnson's Gibson when he interviewed Majors in the fifties.

32-20-Blues said:
However, the guitar presumably does exist somewhere - Alan Lomax maintains that Julia Ann Majors, Johnson's mother, kept the guitar after her son's death. He also claims that he was shown what was purportedly Johnson's Gibson when he interviewed Majors in the fifties.

It probably got pawned by one of his great great nephews for a $20 crack rock, and its sitting in some 3 year olds play room with crayola and bugers all over it!

I smell bullshit as well.

The owner makes much ado over the amount of light on the guitar in Johnson's portrait, saying that it gives the guitar the false appearance of a beat-up guitar.

This lighting situation could be recreated very easily with the guitar he claims was Johnson's, to compare similarities in the soundboard. But he doesn't. I find this awfully suspicious.

Also, like some of you, I find the discussion of flaws in the fretboard markers and neck joint to be big, big, red flags. (The portrait shot doesn't appear to bear out his description, for one.)

I'll bet he's waiting for one of those suckers that's born every minute to come along with a spare $6M. :rolleyes:

I believe Brownie went for $497,000. I don't think anyone has yet paid $1m for any guitar. Even with provenance that guitar wouldn't approach that value.

That L-1 has been offered from time to time. I doubt he has any intention of selling it. He's just using that outrageous claim and price to hook us into looking at his website and spreading the word.

Back