5150 plus marshall 1960

bloke

i'm planning to use a 5150 with a marshall 1960 300 watts speaker cabinet

im not sure how will work this combination...any thoughts??

thanx i was hoping to receive more feedback about sound etc with this combination

I just sold my 5150 few wks back...and I know this isn't the feedback you want to hear, but I was using a laney 212 open back cab..and got some pretty good tones out of that combo. The marshall cab should sound awesome. :)

thanks freshears...

i've heard the good reviews about the 5150 but the clean sound is some hard to get...but i still think that it is a good amp..

what kind of modifications you had in the 5150 already sold?
i friend of mine told that changing the regulation of the bulbs to get them warmer get great results in tonality.

I have a 5150-II and a MESA Recto 2x12 with V30 speakers and a V4 loaded with V30's. I like both... I use the MESA for recording. I would think the Marshall is similar, but I have no experience there.

But, I guess it depends on what you're after. I like more of the Heavy thick distortion and not the Solid-State Shredder tones.

i have no doubts about the marshall cabinet, my concern is the 5150, i tried once with a create cabinet sammy h and it sounds very heavy...

i was wondering if anyone knows some modifications for the 5150...

I had the same set-up you are talking about, except a 1960a cab (not sure if that means anything). It is hard to get cleans because there is no real clean channel, you just gotta turn the gain down until its not distorted. The 5150 has more gain,distortion, and balls than you will probably ever need! (thats why I sold mine, it was a little too much to have, when playing in small clubs. Not sure about any mods that you would want to do to the amp, just plug in and start tweaking!
btw it won't make you sound like eddie lol

bloke said:
i'm planning to use a 5150 with a marshall 1960 300 watts speaker cabinet

im not sure how will work this combination...any thoughts??

thats a nice combination, i think i saw the same thing in a band from here (mexico) and it sounded great

that'll work

The 5150 will plug directly into the 1960a Cab...in fact it has the same rating as the JCM Marshall head that goes with the 1960 cabs.

I have a 5150 and Marshall 1960a Slash Series (Vintage 30's). It's the crunchiest f*ckin' thing you've ever heard. Which is a good thing for playing metal/hardcore.

Everyone likes Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifiers, including me. But I like the 5150 because it stands apart. Palm mute a low E string and you'll feel like you were just administered an enema.

that is what i wanted to hear...
besides a really dont want to sound like eddie vh..i'm just looking for a sound that hit your face right from you start playing....

takk said:
Palm mute a low E string and you'll feel like you were just administered an enema.

Remind me NEVER to do this!!!!

Back