4000 euro for mic pres, recomendations please

vangore

Ok i need to buy 8 mic pres and i have set a budget of 4000 euro for all 8, I need opinions on what would be good, I have been tempted by the API pres, i already have two nice tla tube pres and an avalon Vt 737SP.

I will be mainly recording rock and metal so i need something thats amazing for guitar and the rest for drums mainly as the avalon will get most of the vocals.

these pres will have a lot of sennheiser md 421s and 441s as well as akg c414s and neumann km 184s running through them so i think that should be enough info for you guys to go on.

thanks

damn thats only about 1600 euro for all 8, how good are they?
I mean theres no point in me buyin these if there not great and just having to buy better pres again, none of the review links work either so i cant read them, anybody usin these?

mark, you are the man, this unit looks amazing and it could well be my choice the only thing that is stopping me from ordering it now is that it seems too good to be true, its crazy money for that kind of quality, i would have lots of money to pick up something else too like the GT vipre or a brick and something else, any other options?

The reason they are so cheap is that Joe's overheads are low because he does most of the work himself. And of course the Aussie dollar verses the Euro helps a bunch. ;) Of course you'll probably have to deal with your local taxes and import duties.

But be assured they are a quality unit. All his gear is top notch.
I really don't think you'll find a better quality 8 channel unit anywhere for they money.

You can buy with confidence.

And as you say, you'll have money left over for a very nice Neve style unit (or something like that) which will compliment you Avalon and the JLM very nicely.

Sounds like a win win situation for me.

good luck

Mark

if you have the budget and you want higher quality you should check out the sebatron pre-amps and great river pre-amps. they are a bit more expensive but worth every penny for the flexibility and quality.

Hey Van

You may wanna pick up a OSA lunchbox or powerack...and mix and match between the 4 different pre's they have AND API 500 pre's which will also work....That would be around 4500 USD if your going all OSA I think the API's are a lil more expensive.

http://www.atlasproaudio.com/osa2.html

so i dont need to buy a seperate lunchbox for the API 500s?
iv heard APIs are amazing for drums in particular,
so how about 4 API 500s and 1 of each of those OSAs, The "mutant looks cool for bass drum of bass cabs. any other suggestions?

In general, API would be my first choice of preamps for rock and heavy drums bar none. They also work great for aggressive guitar sounds and certain vocals. I wouldn't consider them the best all around preamp, but man when they are on the right stuff, npthing sounds like API:D

Van

It all comes down to whether or not you really want a "name" in your studio.
If the "name" helps you get clients, then by all means go for it.
BUT, if you just want a rack of fantastic pres that won't break the bank then the JLMs fit the bill.
Do APIs etc. sound better? Possibly...... Is the step up large enough to justify the extra cost? NO WAY!

I've used JLM gear in the past and I can assure you that it's top notch.

Me, I'd be getting the JLM, and then with the savings, get a single or dual channel "Name" unit to sit along side it.

But of course, it's ultimately your choice.

Best wishes

Mark

vangore said:
so i dont need to buy a seperate lunchbox for the API 500s?
iv heard APIs are amazing for drums in particular,
so how about 4 API 500s and 1 of each of those OSAs, The "mutant looks cool for bass drum of bass cabs. any other suggestions?

sounds good to me...if you get the powertrack package you can add 3 API EQ modules too at a later date :eek:

ya the powertrack looks perfect and its rackmountable too which is important for me, meybe i could add some of those osa compressors when they come out.

I think i will go for the OSA "mutant" and "big daddy", 4 api 500s and the cheap jlm becouse even though this gives me 14 pres i can still take the jlm out on location and i looks good so it should hold its own with less vital tracks like meybe toms or something.

so what does everybody think?

The JLM would be perfect for location stuff because of it's size.
And I guarantee you'll find yourself using it on a lot more than just the toms ;)

With all this new gear, your setup will be bloody awesome!

Congrats

ya my setup will be pretty amazing, just need more md421s for the toms to go with the JLM, im delighted i have finnally made up my mind.

Thanks guys.

Maybe put some of your money into an 002...........

I'm looking to start a lunchbox collection too. I think I am going to start with a Brent Averill box (why?, I don't know) and an API 512c. Look it up in froogle.com and there is one dealer that sells the API for like $640.
Then I plan on adding some of the OSA pres and another 512 eventually. Can't wait to get rid of my money! Ramen noodles never tasted so good.

Back