$400 For Calibrating ??

Dr. Zee: I'm not indifferent to any of the people on this board and I respect any and all members who show the same to me. Now what I can't figure out for the life of me is why you had turned on me, with your condescending remarks right after I responded to MCI's post ? I gave you absolutely NO reason for you to reply in such a way.

Last edited:
Daniel, I've said: "..don't listen to a bone-ass-head who would try to make it sound like it is so f*ng hard to understand and DIY." and would gladly repete it again. It was not directed at you. It was directed at a "bone-ass-head" who would try to make setting-up/servicing a reel-to-reel machine too f*ng hard to understand and do it yourself. If you conceder yourself as a one of those individuals, then you are included. End of story.
Why so f*ng Sarcastic and patronizing? - In a retaliation!, that's why. I do have pathological allergic reaction to individuals, who are allegedly have a "great deal of experience and knowledge" in something, and who would present their alleged "great deal of experience and knowledge" to a "beginner" in discouraging manner and call it "advice", especially when talking about something like milking a cow. I detest professors who dare put a student down. Got it? ...well, get it. :p :D :p
what ever.....
oh, boy, ..... I guess, Next time I have to watch out and try to avoid posting right after your posts or something ... :D :D :D

Yes, I consider myself one of the individuals who shares the viewpoint that one should err on the side of caution and leave your first full servicing to a tech .... Naturally then this makes me a bone-ass-head too! Guilty by association! :eek:

Case closed. :D ;)

SteveMac said:
So what is a "load" anyway? ...is a load, maybe, a measure of resistance??

Yes, it is a resistive load… well, technically it’s impedance because we’re dealing with AC current. You can make a dummy load from a ½ watt 50k-ohm resistor. You can also set things up with the inputs of the mixing console as the load. To do either you can use a Y-cable (RCA male to 2 RCA female, or whatever connectors your machine has). The second RCA split on the Y-connector acts as a signal tap so you can connect the test equipment.

Professional test devices are made with on-board switchable dummy loads, but you don’t need to invest in that sort of thing for your private studio.

I made my own switchable dummy load with a project case and parts from Radio Shack. It has 10k, 20k, 50k and a 1-watt 8-ohm for headphone. You wire it so the load resistor connects across the center and shield wires.

~Tim
:)

Beck said:
Head alignment, too much bias for the tape being used, or high frequency calibration has drifted.

Could also be a badly magnetized tape path that needs degaussing or dirty heads.

Worst case -- worn out heads.

High frequencies suffer first with any of the above.

I wonder if the heads moved while in shipping? Some of the screws on the front panel actually came unscrewed in shipping. The thing that bothers me is all 8 tracks are about the same with frequency response except track 7 which is only a tad better with the highs, so it's across the board. Unless someone did bias it for another tape I can't imagine each tracks eq shifting the same.

MCI2424 said:
Sure, I'll help.

$400?
4 hours?

Go to another shop.

Buy tools and do it yourself?

Find a shop 'cause the likelyhood of getting it right, or even close for a first timer is slim to none. Probably end up worse than leaving it alone. If it has only 2 heads, even harder.

Find a shop that willo allow you to watch how alignment is done or hire a pro to do it in your studio.

Again, some advice here assumes a working knowledge in tape deck alignment and some of the tools to do it cost $$$$

Like a O-scope (can get around, but MUCH easier with it)
Test tape - $100 - $800 depends on machine

Etc.

Tools won't align your deck, but. if you really want to learn there is some good information in your manual. Get a service manual and read, try, read again 'till you get it. Once you have it, you can align any deck anywhere anytime.
IMO, this post was reasonable. The phrase "slim and none" was probably the strongest language there,... but it's conveying a message. As to the absoluteness of this statement,... it is obviously up for debate. It's a colloquialism more than it's an absolute statement. (C'mon!)

DIY calibration is not impossible for a novice, and the chances of "slim and none" are perhaps overstated,... where I'd probably have phrased it "could prove to be very, very difficult the first time out". Even then, it's splitting hairs on the difference. The substance of this post is something I'd agree with as being generally sound advice.

It's way beyond what I'd expected: ("Fixing a Tascam's not worth your time"),... but that's only my biased notion of the bulk of MCI's posts. This post, however, was totally reasonable.;)

A Reel Person said:
IMO, this post was reasonable. The phrase "slim and none" was probably the strongest language there,... but it's conveying a message. As to the absoluteness of this statement,... it is obviously up for debate. It's a colloquialism more than it's an absolute statement. (C'mon!)

DIY calibration is not impossible for a novice, and the chances of "slim and none" are perhaps overstated,... where I'd probably have phrased it "could prove to be very, very difficult the first time out". Even then, it's splitting hairs on the difference. The substance of this post is something I'd agree with as being generally sound advice.

It's way beyond what I'd expected: ("Fixing a Tascam's not worth your time"),... but that's only my biased notion of the bulk of MCI's posts. This post, however, was totally reasonable.;)

A very reasonable and objective assessment of the post in question. Thank you Dave.

Edits noted in my reply to quote. Still, I agree with your assessment that it's "generally sound" and "reasonable", with perhaps certain things begging to be rephrased. ;)

I was baiting MCI to a certain degree,...

but his answer surpassed all my expectations.

My intention wasn't to start a flame war between other members. :eek:

A Reel Person said:
My intention wasn't to start a flame war between other members. :eek:

I know it wasn't.

....and at the risk of starting one myself, I'll leave it at that. ;)

SteveMac said:
I wonder if the heads moved while in shipping? Some of the screws on the front panel actually came unscrewed in shipping. The thing that bothers me is all 8 tracks are about the same with frequency response except track 7 which is only a tad better with the highs, so it's across the board. Unless someone did bias it for another tape I can't imagine each tracks eq shifting the same.

I wonder… the screws may have been loose before it was shipped, as in the previous owner tried to adjust the unit without knowing what he was doing. Rough shipping can knock things out as well. In that case I would suspect head alignment, but the one good channel is strange.

I’m just thinking out loud here, but a machine could manifest all tracks dull, save 7 under the following conditions:

First of all, edge tracks normally wear the fastest, losing signal and frequency before the others. They can be tweaked up to a point before the head needs relapping. If you combine worn edge tracks with a poor alignment of a tape head along its vertical axis (zenith adjustment) you can end up with what you are experiencing.

Incorrect zenith alignment causes either the bottom or the top front of the head to tilt away from the tape.

The image below depicts what happens when the head has worn with the head tilted forward at the top. The top half of the head wears faster because it is being pushed into the tape harder. After some time tracks on the top half of the head won’t be able to make good contact with the tape. And as you can see both tracks, 1 & 8 are worn around the edges.

This scenario would make it possible for track 7 to be the loudest and brightest track since it is making the best contact with the tape. If track 8 didn’t have edge wear it might be just as bright. Track 6 might be somewhere in between, and the rest get worse as you move up toward track 1.

Something to think about anyway. :)

Attachments

• zenith.jpg
    zenith.jpg
    7.5 KB · Views: 88
Dr ZEE said:
well, Daniel, then do it because that post/"advice" is a genuine little piece of a dead rat's ass. The "advice" such as: "Find a shop 'cause the likelyhood of getting it right, or even close for a first timer is slim to none. Probably end up worse than leaving it alone. If it has only 2 heads, even harder." is NOT helpful at all and rather IS missleading. Actually it is not an advice, it is rather a statement, which translates as: "Since you don't know a first thing you should not stick your nose into the "experts' field", and if you will stick you nose there, the most likely you WILL f*ck up your machine. Such "sophisticated" work is not for some dumbo non-pro beginner. So, my advice is - forget about it and let an "expert" do the job."
Not to mention, that the "adviser" in this case (which is a common thing for this specific "adviser") does not give a flying f*ck about the person and his specific situation, because if he did, then he would notice (by actually reading the posts and paying f*ng attention!) what machine Steve is talking about (working on) and would not need to make that "two head note", (yeah yeah yeah, I know, little things, slip of the tongue ..yada yada. B.S.!!!!!)... but then again, maybe the "adviser" has no clue about machines to begin with? Oh no , that can't be............

arghhhhhhhh, :mad: :mad: :mad: ,just going through typing this reply drives me freakin' nuts :D ..... Daniel, just forget about it.... :D

The bottom line is: for a person with basic knowledge of (and/or experience working with) recording equipment (which I know Steve IS for sure) tape recorder calibration/setup is just as sophisticated as fixing toilet. Actually!, no! - fixing toilet would require more brain work, talent and stronger hands and, yes! - stronger attitude and self-confidence, than setting up a tape recorder would. (imho, of course).
and, btw, I do not expect any expert to agree with me. :)
and, Steve... you've already said it before couple times, pointing out that you simply do not WANT to spend time/energy/effort to do some things yourself in the process, which is just fine. But it does not mean that those things that you do not want personally to deal with are somewhat somehow beyond your capabilities.
I can tell you this (as example): I never EVER changed my car(s) engine oil myself... and I mean NEVER! And so? So, what does it mean? - It does not mean a sh*t, really .. :p heh heh LOL. :D :D :D

That is not what I said at all. You are just a really big loser in life.

A 2 head machine is much tougher to align for a good reason. I will leave it to you to figure out. Tape recorder alignment is an easy thing once you have the experience and tools. I have fixed too many machines that were aligned by their owners into an unusable state.

Why don't YOU help this guy with your total pro experience? If you are so good, and alignment is so easy, it should be a cakewalk for you.

MCI2424 said:
Why don't YOU help this guy with your total pro experience? If you are so good, and alignment is so easy, it should be a cakewalk for you.
First of all I AM good!!!!!!!!!!!.
Second: Alignment IS easy. It's pain in the ass and boring. But it IS piece of cake. When a person does something for the first time it's is always slow and takes some extra effort and requires some learning to do. No big f*ng deal.
Also an idiot can and will screw anything and everything. The chances that an idiot will not screw something up are slim to non.
Of course for MCI-2424 any home-recordist (independent recording artist, that is!) is a somewhat idiot and a jork who does not have any idea what he is doing.

and
third: Why don't I help "this guy"? I practically can't help Steve with algnment of Tascam 38, because I never had this machine nor done anything with it. I am clueless there. That's why. And I am NOT planning on pretending like I am not.
Smell the difference , yet?
I doubt it.
:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Dr ZEE said:
Second: Alignment IS easy. It's pain in the ass and boring. But it IS piece of cake. When a person does something for the first time it's is always slow and takes some extra effort and requires some learning to do. No big f*ng deal.
Also an idiot can and will screw anything and everything. The chances that an idiot will not screw something up are slim to non.
Of course for MCI-2424 any home-recordist (independent recording artist, that is!) is a somewhat idiot and a jork who does not have any idea what he is doing.

and
third: Why don't I help "this guy"? I practically can't help Steve with algnment of Tascam 38, because I never had this machine nor done anything with it. I am clueless there. That's why. And I am NOT planning on pretending like I am not.
I doubt it.

Clear as a bell and exactly true. (well said)

Steve is doing the right thing too. He is looking and asking and listening, and testing and thinking. He will be an expert much sooner than an idiot that changes everything without thinking.

I appreciate ALL points of view here, and Mike has too helped me alot. When we're talking about just calibrating record and playback, that by itself does not seem like a very difficult thing to do at all. There are other things that might get a little tricky and some others that are most likely completely out of the beginners hands altogether and should be given to a tech to fix. The way I see it now, after reading through Tascam manual several times, is most of these things you SHOULD learn to do yourself, and you should actually do whatever you can before deciding that someone else needs to look at it. Even Tascam themselves promote this idea. In most cases, you'd have to bring your deck in and leave it with a tech for at least a week, and you wont be able to see what he does and you wont know if he really knows what hes doing or if he does anything at all. It seems like a mistake to me to buy a recorder and then immediately bring it in to have it set up without trying it out for a while, or doing what you can to fix it. Unless you really know the person you're bringing it to.

Last edited:
Dr ZEE said:

and
I doubt it.

But, I thought that alignment was a piece of cake? Easy? a no brainer?

Why would you be clueless (or more so than usual)?

All tape decks are the same, right?

You talk out of both sides of your mouth.

Alignment is easy, but I can't help you because you have a tape machine I have never aligned, so it must be from mars.

Great going Dr. Dork

This is really f*cked up! You guys are so pleased to call anyone who doesn't follow your views an "idiot", aren't you ? Stop patting yourselves on your back and realize that you're making enemies as you go with your arrogant statements.

Do you know how many intelligent people on this board have screwed up first time allignments or would be better off leaving the task to a tech, at least for the first time ? Does that make them retarded ? Apparently you think so or have no clue as to how your words get picked up by your average everyday reader.

I know I said I wouldn't participate in the discussions anymore but it really angers me that you guys spew out the things you do and feel it's ok, that you are positively serving the HR community. Let's be clear that I'm talking about Dr. Zee and now evm1024. :rolleyes:

Calm down....

cjacek said:
This is really f*cked up! You guys are so pleased to call anyone who doesn't follow your views an "idiot", aren't you ? Stop patting yourselves on your back and realize that you're making enemies as you go with your arrogant statements.

Do you know how many intelligent people on this board have screwed up first time allignments or would be better off leaving the task to a tech, at least for the first time ? Does that make them retarded ? Apparently you think so or have no clue as to how your words get picked up by your average everyday reader.

I know I said I wouldn't participate in the discussions anymore but it really angers me that you guys spew out the things you do and feel it's ok, that you are positively serving the HR community. Let's be clear that I'm talking about Dr. Zee and now evm1024.

Go back and re read Dr. Zee's post. I don't see where he is calling anyone an idiot. Do you? He does say that MCI-2424 THINKS that "home-recordist (independent recording artist, that is!) is a somewhat idiot and a jork" But he does not call MCI-2424 an idiot.

What part of this is not the truth?

Here is what he said:
-------------
--------------

Alignment is boring and a pain in the ass. I have 2 decks waiting to be done and I've been putting them off for weeks.

Regards!

:)
PS I was a bit of an idiot the first time I tried to make love. I screwed things up and got it all wrong. I had to go back and do it over. But I kept trying and trying and I am getting better at it. I'm still working on it. And it still talkes me a couple of hours. But one thing is for sure.... I am sure happy that I did not leave this to a professional. :D

Back