4-track digital...

uhhuhhim

If you guys could choose a 4-track digital recorder that was somehow similar in features to the Fostex MR-8, which 4-track would you choose and why?

I need an overview of the best 4-track digital recorders, minus the mini discs (don't like those).

I may buy a 4-track for the MR-8. Any opinions, pros, cons, and suggestions are welcome. I'm having a hard time deciding.

the fostex is really not an 8 track in the true sense of the word...the last 4 tracks are joint...if u can blow 300 bucks go for the fostex...its really a 4 track with bouncing capability of all tracks (1 through 4) to the last tracks (5/6 and 7/8 wich are joint) so if u bounce u clear tracks 1 through 4 and u can use them again..or u can dump all the time with a little piece of software Fostex provides. the MR8 is really the ultimate 4 track i guess.

Well...

It is, and it isn't!
If you record two tracks simultaneously, as I often do, then it is absolutely a fully functional 8 track.

But yea, you're right I guess, in the common sense of "8-track", it is probably slightly deficient.

uhhuhhim- Any specific digital 4 track you were looking at?
Did you consider the ol' 4 track cassette as we'd discussed?

How many cassette 4 tracks are still in production, and could anyone recommend a good one? Hell, I've kicked around the thought of buying one for shits n giggles :D

hi cellardweller,

I would like any reviews regarding these models (if anybody owns these):

Zoom MRS-4B 4-Track Digital Multitrack Studio
Korg PXR4 4-Track Compact Digital Multitrack Recorder
ToneWorks Pandora PXR4 4-Track Digital Recording Studio

I guess it's the size of these little machines that is surprising me. If it's small, it must not be powerful. But, if any of you could please help me to decide that would be great.

uh huh him

uhhuhhim said:
hi cellardweller,

I would like any reviews regarding these models (if anybody owns these):

Zoom MRS-4B 4-Track Digital Multitrack Studio
Korg PXR4 4-Track Compact Digital Multitrack Recorder
ToneWorks Pandora PXR4 4-Track Digital Recording Studio

I guess it's the size of these little machines that is surprising me. If it's small, it must not be powerful. But, if any of you could please help me to decide that would be great.

uh huh him
Don't equate size with power. These days, they are able to pack a whole lot more in them than they used to. I'm sorry I can't offer you any help other than that, but I've heard a lot of good things about the Korg PXR4. One word on getting a 4 track, however; you'll be looking to upgrade soon after you get it...

I've heard a lot of famous musicians own them. I can't remember who though. Maybe I'll just get the MR-8 then.

Thanks for replying Rokket.

4 track

I always thought of the mr8, stand alone, as a glorified 4 track because of its bouncing capabilities. It's a great starter recorder for newbies plus it can be used with pc software when they want to move up to using more tracks than the mr8 can handle.

Back