?????????

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Slam Dr. Varney thread was out of context for this forum and deleted for that reason.

That actually happened? I never even saw it. I must'a been busy.

Guitaristic was saying 'good call' to my suggestion it might be a wind up, that's all.

If I'm not mistaken, then I think if anyone did start a slam thread for just me, it was probably all in good fun and I would have taken it in the spirit it was meant.

I've had/seen much worse in industry.

Dr. V

Guitaristic was saying 'good call' to my suggestion it might be a wind up, that's all.

If I'm not mistaken, then I think if anyone did start a slam thread for just me, it was probably all in good fun and I would have taken it in the spirit it was meant.

Dr. V

Was it Guitaristic?? Can't remember.... but yes it seems he started it in good fun and I can appreciate that. But it was out of context for the Newbs forum and so deleted. When i first saw it I was kind of like WTF?? So I did a little probing and came upon the other threads where people seemed to be ganging up on the new folks.

cheers,

I do see a trend starting in the Newbies section that should probably stop. We want people new to the site and new to recording to be able to post whatever question they want without fear of intimidation or ridicule from other users. That's the purpose of the Newbies section.

There are some people who are so new, they don't even know the right questions to ask. It happens often and we will give them safe haven here. I see people having a little bit of fun in the more recent threads and it hasn't gotten entirely out of control yet. Not really ridiculing newbies, but it's getting close and shouldn't go any further.

The Slam Dr. Varney thread was out of context for this forum and deleted for that reason.

Show patience for new people. Show patience for people for whom english is not a first language. If you don't want to help out in the Newbies forum, then don't post here.

Thanks!!

yeah... but... "does any one know of a good recording studio site?"

YOUR ON F*CKING HOME RECORDING <DOT> COM

And even if he means a studio in which he can get prices for time or something...

YOUR ON F*CKING HOME RECORDING <DOT> COM

As if this place isn't for home RECORDING. As if people who don't RECORD come here...

Idk, it just seemed like it was a joke post maybe by an alias or something.
If the dude was somehow/someway serious than I'll be open to PM"s from him/her and I will help out with the best of my ability. Otherwise, I don't regret Lol'ing

Was it Guitaristic?? Can't remember.... but yes it seems he started it in good fun and I can appreciate that. But it was out of context for the Newbs forum and so deleted. When i first saw it I was kind of like WTF?? So I did a little probing and came upon the other threads where people seemed to be ganging up on the new folks.

cheers,

Haha I didn't do the Slam Varney thread...Dr. Varney was talking about what I did earlier on this thread. Calling it like I see it: I was out of line for the newbies section. Don't want to be scaring any folks away :D

Look, I've been on the shitty end of the stick myself, as a newcomer to forums, so I definitely wouldn't want to discourage newbies. I especially don't like bullying... but there is a difference between outright bullying and being honest when people start threads with non-descriptive titles.

TBH with you, if I'd seen any signs the OP had been frequenting that other thread, I don't think I would have said anything at all, but it seemed like he/she had already left.

I once got a red mark when first joining (was it this forum or another one? I can't remember) which said "Meaningless/non-descriptive title". I didn't think it was that bad really but I accepted it and changed the title - but let's face it... ?????????? isn't a thread title, it's a row of punctuation. When you know people are going to be giving up a little of their time to help you, isn't it just good manners to at least try and define your question, to help them help you?

But other than that, I wouldn't hold anything against the OP personally. I don't really care, I'm just saying, that's all.

He/she is probably a perfectly alright person but that's how we all learn.

It was mostly in jest but I'm sorry if I caused any real offence to anyone.

Dr. V

^&*$^&&^$@@$^)&_*^&%@!#$^)_))##$(^%%)%#@^&))(^&$@?><{:"

I don't know what other thread ya'll are talking about...but, all of this over a title?

Wow.

I mean if you don't like it...don't post. :confused:

I think all of my titles from now on will be various puntuations and utter nonsense (which most are anyways). :D

I mean if you don't like it...don't post. :confused:

With the greatest of respect, Dastrick, I think that is just one way of looking at things - and I respect that choice - really, I do.

But...

If you typed that sort of incomprehensible talk into a search engine, I wonder what the result would be? By now, I would fully expect the average user to know the 'garbage-in/garbage-out' rule of computing.

Of course, since the increase in web-applications with onboard spellchecking, the environment is much more forgiving... but it only goes so far. Computers can't read your mind (...just yet!). :D

So no one would dream of treating a search engine or inanimate machine like that, because they know damn well what kind of result they can expect - yet we human users are expected to magic up a useful answer, to suport a completely nebulous query. We are expected to give gold from garbage, like we are some kind of information alchemists.

The reason this, or any forum, works at all - is because people post and people reply. People post because they're puzzled by something and the more knowledgable reply because they enjoy helping others. It's much easier and more enjoyable for them to answer a set of straight, intelligent questions, than have to struggle to second-guess the querant's meaning. People also hope they will be appreciated when they solve a problem for someone and personally, I don't think "??????" exactly gives that impression, do you?

Now so far, that's just me, moralizing, without giving you a good reason why I should want to reply to it. You're quite right, in that ignoring the question is a perfectly valid response... but surely, the point of forums like this, are to help people? As such, (and because we're not computers - we're people) I would expect at least one person to feel like rescuing the querant from their mistake.

So - quite apart from the feeling of wanting to correct a social faux pas, any answer which directs the querant towards a more thorough, comprehensive - and therefore more useful line of questioning, is potentially helping that person to help themselves.

Because we're not obliged to reply at all - to anything - likewise, we are not obliged always to respond favourably (as long as we are not overly abusive).

Therefore, I think, whether or not we like a question or not, is neither here nor there. A suitable answer has been given, nevertheless... whether you personally like it or not. :)

Likewise, if you don't like the answers given to the question someone else didn't like, you are not obliged to post, either. But I'm glad you did and I don't hold anything against you for doing so. :drunk:

Dr. V

Last edited:
I don't know what other thread ya'll are talking about...but, all of this over a title?

Wow.

Yeah... all this, over a title! Maybe it's a waste of space... or maybe some form of useful discussion might come out of it?

Depends how you look at it.

I was in the middle of a financial assessment for a project that is really doing my head in. After taking 15 mins out to think about something relatively unimportant (and several strong cups of coffee) I feel like going back to it with a vengeance... and maybe you will like me more for talking to you? Who knows... See, nothing's wasted... :D

Dr. V

Dr. V

Ya, sorry about that, I did it, and it was meant in good fun. If you saw the post, the "slam" was very innocent and meant to be humorous. Nobody ever accused me of having good taste!

I let that thread get to me though, and after looking at the profile of one of the contributors, I realized he/she was 12 years old!

That was a wake up call to me. I plan on being much more helpful to newbies, and generally much more diplomatic to everyone. A 12 year old has a hard enough time weeding through the internet cesspool, and hopefully this is a good site they can visit that parents wouldn't be afraid to learn their kid was visiting.

Well, I suppose as long as you feel no burning compulsion to slam 12 year olds, then I'd say you'll do alright in life... :laughings:

Dr. V

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back