2nd "Who We Are" track from last Thursday's recording session - "Happens Every Time"

Decent mix.

I like the lead vocal. It's buried a bit by the guitars.

The drums sound very good. Not much I'd change.

The crunch guitar is pretty muddy. I know you have the acoustic guitars providing the higher end of things. But that crunch is still too muddy.

The bass is too muddy as well.

I think if you notch out the crunch guitar and the bass at around 300hz-330hz it would really help. Then I think I'd take some high end sizzle out of the acoustic guitars. Just a bit.

I think it'd be a cleaner, more open mix if you did that.

God your ears are good. JJ is an excellent guitarist, but his tone can get a little harsh. I added "cream" to his tone in about exactly the area you're asking me to cut back ... which is fine. Too much cream is too much. I also have to roll a bit of bite out of his tone at 3k range.

The sizzle of the acoustic is meant to cut through the density of the mix ... but it may be adding to an upper range sonic blurring.

Thanks Trip!!

The sizzle of the acoustic is meant to cut through the density of the mix ... but it may be adding to an upper range sonic blurring.

I can imagine there was some difficulty getting it to cut through. I just think it was a bit much. Assuming you did either a high shelf or a very broad band on your EQ boost, just try dropping it by a db or two and then raising the volume of the track by a db or two. With some luck, it'll still cut through without sizzling so much.

That you'll find is way too low in the mix.
Personally I don't like the bass tone at all - too much dirt and scooped.
Cool rock song though.

That you'll find is way too low in the mix.
Personally I don't like the bass tone at all - too much dirt and scooped.
Cool rock song though.

Bass player likes the dirt ... I'll look into the scoop. Thanks bud!

The only gripe I can hear, listening on my laptop speakers, is that the acoustic and the hi hat aren't perfectly in sync during the intro, and since they live in the same frequency range, they're conflicting a little bit. Otherwise, really nice.

Back