2nd project ever. Tell me what you think!

Coops409

I'm a College Audio Engineering student and this is my final project for one of my classes last semester. I recorded it and mixed it myself. Wanted everyones thoughts on how I did!

Sidenote: I was experimenting with compression so this is compressed really hard. Also, I still am having trouble EQing toms and the kick drum. Snare sounds like crap, I know. :D Also, I know the guitars are too quiet.

Here's the YouTube link:

Allegory - Oblivion - YouTube

Last edited:
This could definitely use some work but isn't the most awful thing I've ever heard by any means.

Can you drop some details on how you ended up tracking stuff? What mic's you used on different instruments and all that?

Also, try uploading your files to something that doesn't compress/destroy your audio quality like youtube does. I'd recommend Soundcloud!

I'll try Soundcloud next time! Let's see. I used a d112 on kick I believe. SM 57 on snare. Don't remember the tom mics, high hat mic, or overheads, hah. I was still very new to the engineering world when I recorded this so I didn't pay much attention to which mics I used. SM 57 for 1 guitar, POD direct for the rest. Bass was direct/miced with D112. Vocals I used MD 421, Audio Technica 4033. Background vocals were 4033. used Behringer compressors.

Overall the balance seems good. The snare is a little dark for me. The vocals are good but I'm not a fan of screamo so I'll give you kudos despite my aversion lol..... :D:D:D:D

Back