246 track 5 and 6

t_ebrontosaurus

i dont mean to cross post.. buts its been a week or so and no replies in the tascam forum. ('cept for cjacek - thank you) but i was wondering -

I recently bought this pretty machine on a break from school. It was at a daddys junky music and I fell in love at first sight. I traded in some stuff and got it for $100. It runs great and isnt a damn thing wrong with it that i know of.

But! to get to my question:
how can i properly use track 5 and 6? how are they assignable to tracks 1-4?

I couldnt quite seem to figure this one out without a manual.

thanks for your help in advance-
Noah

and ps.. are there any other tricks,tips,mystical buttons hidden away on this machine that I should know about?
and pps.. i just saw 'a reel person's picture of all that tascam equipment and i almost died. I thought my collection was getting big. If I were in that room I would melt... absoloutly melt.
Maybe I would drop my jaw and just 'Guffawwww'

This is just a copy/paste of my post in the Tascam forum:

Channels 5 & 6 on the 246 are basically like the first four channel strips.

When using the first 4 inputs for "live" (instrument/mic) sources when tracking and overdubbing, sometimes it becomes necessary to use Channels 5 & 6 for those "extra" two sources. In this case, you'd plug your instrument/mic cables to the 5/6 inputs, and "assign" them to "busses" 1-4, which route directly to "tracks" 1-4 on tape. The Pan control varies the signal between "Left-Buss" tracks (1/3) and "Right-Buss" tracks (2/4).

It's not that the tracks themselves have a left/right orientation (on playback), but as a rule, (when recording) the (tape) tracks 1 & 3 derive their input signals from (mixer) buss Left, and the (tape) tracks 2 & 4 derive their input signals from (mixer) buss Right. It's handy to remember this when you select your "Assign" buttons, your "Pan" control and your "target" track.

When "mixing down" your final 4-track tape composition, you may use input Channels 5 & 6 as "aux/effect-returns", as the case may dictate. At this time you'd typically "assign" 5 & 6 to "buss" 1 & 2, which are typically the busses you route your "final mixdown" signal thru, to the outside world.

I hope I've explained things clearly, & have covered the original question!!
There's not that much to it & it's certainly not on par with brain surgery or rocket science!!! :eek: ;)

PS: I'd say, for a question like this, it's fair game in the "Tascam" forum and the "Analog" forum, alike. I frequent both columns. :eek: ;)

Are there any other "secret buttons"??

Well,... yes.

When "punching-in" to fix little mistakes on tracks, you must depress the "Insert" button on the console. What this button does, is ensure a seemless switching between "tape" and "source", when you depress the punch-in pedal and switch from "playback" to "record" mode.

That's the only tricky button or feature that I can think of, at this time. Purchasing a copy of the manual might be a good idea, in the long run, though these machines are typically easy to learn and use. :eek: ;)

A Reel Person said:
Well,... yes.

When "punching-in" to fix little mistakes on tracks, you must depress the "Insert" button on the console. What this button does, is ensure a seemless switching between "tape" and "source", when you depress the punch-in pedal and switch from "playback" to "record" mode.

That's the only tricky button or feature that I can think of, at this time. Purchasing a copy of the manual might be a good idea, in the long run, though these machines are typically easy to learn and use. :eek: ;)

Thanks for all the information! clears up some issues in my head
.. i figured the insert button had to do with the inserts somehow
could i just use a simple switch like a keyboard footswitch? I have some other homeade switches that may do the trick

A Reel Person said:
Channels 5 & 6 on the 246 are basically like the first four channel strips.

When using the first 4 inputs for "live" (instrument/mic) sources when tracking and overdubbing, sometimes it becomes necessary to use Channels 5 & 6 for those "extra" two sources. In this case, you'd plug your instrument/mic cables to the 5/6 inputs, and "assign" them to "busses" 1-4, which route directly to "tracks" 1-4 on tape. The Pan control varies the signal between "Left-Buss" tracks (1/3) and "Right-Buss" tracks (2/4).

It's not that the tracks themselves have a left/right orientation (on playback), but as a rule, (when recording) the (tape) tracks 1 & 3 derive their input signals from (mixer) buss Left, and the (tape) tracks 2 & 4 derive their input signals from (mixer) buss Right. It's handy to remember this when you select your "Assign" buttons, your "Pan" control and your "target" track.

When "mixing down" your final 4-track tape composition, you may use input Channels 5 & 6 as "aux/effect-returns", as the case may dictate. At this time you'd typically "assign" 5 & 6 to "buss" 1 & 2, which are typically the busses you route your "final mixdown" signal thru, to the outside world.

I hope I've explained things clearly, & have covered the original question!!
There's not that much to it & it's certainly not on par with brain surgery or rocket science!!! :eek: ;)

PS: I'd say, for a question like this, it's fair game in the "Tascam" forum and the "Analog" forum, alike. I frequent both columns. :eek: ;)

Thank you again for this-
I read the manual of the 488 and now I remember the diagram of how tracks are recorded onto the tape. This makes a lot more sense now. I was attempting to throw 5/6 to 3 or 4 on the opposite side.

I would like to order the manual and a demagnetizer from ebay when i have some money again

Thank you again!
you were tons of help

Noah

Back