1969 home reel-to-reel machines

Robertobly

Hello, I've been listening to a Nick Drake box set called 'Fruit Tree'. Basically it's 3 CD's of mostly home recordings. After a little reading on the web It seems Nick used to borrow his mums reel-to-reel machine to record his ideas/demos. There is a particular recording on the second CD (Saturday Sun: The 1969 Work Tape Demos), called Fly, that is very much the sound I myself am trying to get on tape/CD. I can't find anywhere that mentions which machine he used. Would any of you know what machines would be in use in homes (very few homes I assume!) around this time, '67-'69?

Thanks in advance to anyone giving time to read & reply,

Rob

Last edited:
Hello, I've been listening to a Nick Drake box set called 'Fruit Tree'. Basically it's 3 CD's of mostly home recordings. After a little reading on the web It seems Nick used to borrow his mums reel-to-reel machine to record his ideas/demos. There is a particular recording on the second CD (Saturday Sun: The 1969 Work Tape Demos), called Fly, that is very much the sound I myself am trying to get on tape/CD. I can't find anywhere that mentions which machine he used. Would any of you know what machines would be in use in homes (very few homes I assume!) around this time, '67-'69?

Thanks in advance to anyone giving time to read & reply,

Rob

Most likely Akai, Teac, and Sony. Maybe Pioneer? I have a early 1970s Akai deck... it's pretty fun.

he used a 1959 series 3, Ferrograph, (valve) mono tape-recorder for mayfair and river man off made to love magic which have the same sound as the fruit tree ones...keep in mind that the fruit tree stuff was remastered and noise-reduced as most of the songs were available and had more hiss!

Back