16 Track Recording Via Pc: What's Available?

sean.brown

I recently decided that my maudio 1010 does not have the tracks or the mixing/eq-ing abilities that I want in my recording pc. I would like to have the ability to record 16 tracks simultaneously (and hopefully have multiple headphone outs, pre-amps on each channel, and (this is not especially necessary) eq-s on all or some channels. I use Adobe Audition 3 for software and have a quad core machine... I checked out some of these products:

the Profire 2626, which is only 8 channels, but you can add an octane pre-amp to make it 16 - adding up to over $1000 - a bit over my budget...

The Presonus StudioLive 16.4.2 - which is $2000 and ugly as sin

The FastTrack Ultra 8R - which is affordable AND everything that I'm looking for (except for it is only 8 channels and doesn't have input eq-ing)

I called m-audio and they said that it wouldn't work together with my 1010. Does anyone know if this is correct? Or, can I use two 8R's in one computer for 16 track recording? Anyone know the answers?

Lastly, I found the Mackie Onyx 1620. Looks great, but haven't heard much about it. Does anyone have it or have any experience with it?

You need to record from 16 sources at once?

Presonus Firestudio units can be linked together via firewire. Buying two of them would allow you 16 microphone/line inputs. No matter what product you might come across that offers 16 mic/line channels, it will cost you at least $1000.

But... can't you just get another Delta 1010? Would this work?

The firestudio has 2 adat I/O's so can go to 24 channels with only one fw connection. However, like the profire and the mackie onyx, its dice 2

I don't have a board with firewire out, so that would not help me, I'd have to buy something with 8 inputs to firewire out to the firestudio unit.

its not linked with firewire, its linked with lightpipe, but it sucks anyhow.

You could try running two 1010's together, some people have a bit of luck with that

Nothing "budget" is going to have an eq worth committing to tape/disk anyhow

esu1808 is ok but i feel the line inputs are underpowered. it does 12 line in ..2 guitar hiz and two mikes with preamps.

cheap...

Does anyone know much about the Mackie Onyx 1640 + firewire option? I think I could get one of those if I sold a bunch of my existing gear.

You could try running two 1010's together, some people have a bit of luck with that

Nothing "budget" is going to have an eq worth committing to tape/disk anyhow

I'd go with that, since you already know exactly how the 1010 works, and suppostedly linking them works fine (though I have NO experience in this, the M-Audio techs were very helpfull in telling me how to link my 44 to another 44 [and the 44 does not have any linking capabillities advertized!). You'd save enough money to buy Trackplug (by Wave Arts, heavily advertized through the homerecording.com bbs banners) and get a decent EQ, brickwall filters, 2 compressors, a gate and a limiter on EVERY channel (I run a quadcore as well and it keeps up fine).

Does anyone know much about the Mackie Onyx 1640 + firewire option? I think I could get one of those if I sold a bunch of my existing gear.

Thats what I use. Its about $1799 for the mixer and card. The price is same at all the main stores. Some have open box mixers for $1099 so the combo (mixer and firewire option) would be around $1500. What do you want to know about it.

I love my 1640...

I do just love my 1640 w FW-card...

I use it with my home computer studio. It's not cheap but I just love it.

I too love my 1640. It's a great live board for small venue stuff, and I like the pre's. Call around, cause you can always beet places like GC on price. Just have to call to order cause of the whole Minimum Advertised Price thing.Should be able to get one in the sub $1600 range- new.

yes, I use a 1640 for live, great preamps, I can post samples if you like.16 channels firewire right into daw.

I've seen the Sonorus STUDI/O (16x16 ADAT) on Ebay for $60- 70 (with shipping) bought one recently and I also recently acquired a creamware A16. (Mk 1) You could also use the behringer ADA8000 (they run about $150-190 a piece) and has preamps already. This would give you 16 in/out for under $500.

I haven't set this up or tried it out yet and have not tried the Behringers. Opinions run the gamut on all things Behringer. I have a Behringer Exciter which I actually think sounds good, and a Behringer "Tube" Compressor that I can't get to do much but annoy me so....

If anyone has opinions on the Creamware A16 (the 48kHz model) I'm all ears.

With ASIO you can't link 2 soundcards. You will have to go WDM to record with 2 soundcards. I did it in Sonar with a Delta 1010 and an Echo Mia, recording 10 tracks simultaneously.

the esu1808 since i have been using balanced cables makes a whole lot more sense ..so its 16 tracks at once over usb2 into some pissy p4 pc and it works... thats two guitar inputs ..two mike and the rest are line.

Why not just add a 1010 or a 1010LT?

I use a Peavy StudioMix MIDI control surface and I programed a button to flip from channels 1-8 to 9-16 then to 17-24. 8 faders seem to be enough.

Tony

Back