12 microphones testet, please download the file`s

tubedude said:
Damn Cyan, you're wild...
My box is empty now, or has some space, at least.
So what is your overall impression of the DVC preamps without the limiter? I think the DVC has the EQ too, like the dual mono, right? How is that? Dual mono is only like $1300 if anyone is interested in it.
Peace.
the dvc is a great preamp with a usefull but simple eq & a great limiter. the limiter is a "la3a-style", like la-2a, but solid state.
the preamp is for shure a class over all this channels like envoice, track one...the sound is very lively & nice with good details, transparent, but not hard or boring.
a friend of mine have a avalon 737, a sumit, a tubetech & a focusrite isa, he try my dvc 8&buy later one) & he say:
the avalon is brutal direct, the tubetech have a nice tubesound but is expensive as hell, the summit have a stronger tubeaspect (more a rock & roll preamp), the focusrite isa is near to the dvc, but the isa have a bit hyped highs & not as much headroom as the dvc.
the dvc sounds never as "boring" like a earthworks or spl, but is still a "neutral" preamp, mabye 'cause of a completly discrete (no IC!) signalpath & manley trafo's.
i recorded a afro-cd completly with the dvc, some tracks with more than 60 tracks, the sound is great.

OK took a listen. Don't laugh :)
My fav is #5
I also liked #9 #10 #11 (they have that kind of a sound I like on vocals) Cann't hear much of a difference between 10 and 11 tho.
least favourite was #13 (sounds dull)
also didn't like #1 and #2 (boomy imo)

The rest have really cool different colors, which may work in different situations and I cann't really position in an order.

Keijo

P.S. Can I have the mic names now? :)
P.P.S. I only listened to the vox samples

warlock said:
OK took a listen. Don't laugh :)
My fav is #5
I also liked #9 #10 #11 (they have that kind of a sound I like on vocals) Cann't hear much of a difference between 10 and 11 tho.
least favourite was #13 (sounds dull)
also didn't like #1 and #2 (boomy imo)

The rest have really cool different colors, which may work in different situations and I cann't really position in an order.

Keijo

P.S. Can I have the mic names now? :)
P.P.S. I only listened to the vox samples
please send to me your ratings for each mic.
1 for shitty
10 for wonderfull
my email:
mictest@echochamber.ch
when i get your ratings, i send you the key.

not only you like like nr.5, but for my taste this mic have just the most hyped highs, but not good details in the midds & a harsh sound.

hey monty,

another one who loves number five. I love it.

Warlock, good ears. we have some of the same views. What are you monitoring on?

Hey, dont forget to send your rating to Monty.

Hey, monty, there are anumber of folks who would not mind hearing an mp3. THat could also increase the ratings. I made an mp3 file of the original twelve, in the exact order, with some compression. You can still hear most of the differences, except that the extreme highs are lost on some of the mics, rendering them less harsh.

Do you want me to post it to you. Its 128kbps and 4.1 megs.

Can I post it on the net for homerec members only, or do you think it would take away from your test? Of course, I dont plan to tell them what the mics are, and they will still be reporting the ratings to you.

I use RA100 amp > Sansui S65 sperakers.
And AKG K240 Monitor headphones.
And ok I'll try to give them all scores (which will be really hard) :)

Keijo

CyanJaguar said:
hey monty,

Hey, monty, there are anumber of folks who would not mind hearing an mp3. THat could also increase the ratings. I made an mp3 file of the original twelve, in the exact order, with some compression. You can still hear most of the differences, except that the extreme highs are lost on some of the mics, rendering them less harsh.

Can I post it on the net for homerec members only, or do you think it would take away from your test? Of course, I dont plan to tell them what the mics are, and they will still be reporting the ratings to you.
please DON'T take this files on a page or give it to someone.
i tested mp3's & the importend details get lost, for a serious comparing mp3 is not good enough.

CyanJaguar said:
hey monty,

please DON'T put the files on the net & DON'T send them to anyone. mp3 is not good enough for a serios comparing.

Hello,

I'm a new member, but have been visiting this BBS for several weeks now, just soaking in the info and chat.

I've been a part-time recording engineer for over 10 years, and have dabbled in mastering for about 5 years.

I just completed my evaluation of the different mics, and am awaiting a response from Monty as to what the key is. I am very interested in the results, and I have feeling I will be surprised by them.

I didn't feel I could fairly judge each mic without evaluating them by each source first. We all know different mics sound better on different sources, so I rated each each source for each mic, and then averaged all three to come up with an overall rating. Hopefully this won't throw off Monty's final results.

I hope that many others from this board participate in Monty's test, so we can find out how much differently we judge things. It will prove interesting to see what one person considers a good mic, another may find objectionable.

Cheers.

Just recieved the key. Very interesting results. Believe it or not, my ratings were pretty much on par with mic quality/reputation and price.

I encourage more of you to participate...It's a pretty good test to rule out the placebo effect...

Thanks for the opportunity to participate Monty...

OK, what do I have to do to play 24-bit?

I downloaded the 24-bit files & burned them to cd, but I can't get them to play on anything. I tried several regular cd players, and a couple of pc cd's. Then I tried just playing the .wav file. Nothing. Re-downloaded one of the wav's. Still no go. Just for the heck of it, I downloaded a couple of the 16-bit files, and they worked just fine. I tried using Winamp, Windows Media Player, RealJukebox, and one other (can't remember what is was now). Is there a special player that I need to use for 24-bit, or do I have to adjust something? Or am I supposed to import them into a 24-bit recording program? :confused:

Cardioidpotent,

The 24bit files can only be played in programs that support 24bit playback (SoundForge, WaveLab, etc). Winamp and the other programs you tried are only capable of 16bit playback. I'm not sure how you burned the files to CD, but I'm going to guess you burned them as data, and not audio, as audio would only burn at 16bit.

If you don't have 24bit playback capability, just download the 16bit versions. Chances are, your soundcard would have to downsample anyway.

teebaum - can you zip all the 24-bit files into one large file and post a link to that? I can only download two files at a time, so I have to "babysit" the downloading. With one large file, I could just start downloading it and then leave the computer by itself for a while.

Thanks

/Ola

BTW I started downloading and each 24-bit file took me about 2 minutes @ 20kB/s

Let's see more of this type of thing!

Monty,

Thanks for what you're doing here. This is exactly the kind of thing I came to this forum hoping to find. It's appreciated.

ola said:
teebaum - can you zip all the 24-bit files into one large file and post a link to that? I can only download two files at a time, so I have to "babysit" the downloading. With one large file, I could just start downloading it and then leave the computer by itself for a while.

Thanks

/Ola

BTW I started downloading and each 24-bit file took me about 2 minutes @ 20kB/s
i think, i get your rating, not?
many peaple have problem downloading to big files, so i made many small ones & i don't have endless webspace :)

LooneyTunez said:
Cardioidpotent,

The 24bit files can only be played in programs that support 24bit playback (SoundForge, WaveLab, etc). Winamp and the other programs you tried are only capable of 16bit playback. I'm not sure how you burned the files to CD, but I'm going to guess you burned them as data, and not audio, as audio would only burn at 16bit.

If you don't have 24bit playback capability, just download the 16bit versions. Chances are, your soundcard would have to downsample anyway.
i made the files with logic audio & test them with samplitude & wavelab without problems.

Last edited:
monty teebaum said:
many peaple have problem downloading to big files, so i made many small ones & i don't have endless webspace :)
No worries, I only have 12 left to download. Then I'll see if I can even tell the mics apart with my setup.

/Ola

Back