12 microphones testet, please download the file`s

monty teebaum

we test 12 mics with:vocals
saxophon
shaker
preamp: langevin dvc
a/d: waves L2

i wanna make a "blindtest", so the files just named "vox1, vox2, vox...".
all files are recorded 24bit/44.1 without any manipulation, the levels are somethimes a bit different. for a good compare please balance the levels of the files.
there are also 16bit-versions, i try to balance the level for them.
it would be nice, if you can send my for each file you rating. give points between 1 & 10, 1 for really bad, 10 for fantastic.
vox1 is the same mic as sax1 and shaker1
the email is:

mictest@echochamber.ch

at the end of november i will write the names of the mic's & the result on my page.
everyone who send me his rating for all mic's get the key witch number is witch mic.

the files can be downloaded at:

http://www.biobonsai.com/echochamber/miktest.htm

its around 120mb for the 24bit-version & 80mb for the 16bit! sorry, but i think, mp3 are not good enough for a mic-test.

At the very least, give us something like a 256kbps MP3...no way in hell I'm downloading a file that size!

Isaiah

You guys are both right....

no, im not downloading that large ass file....

no, mp3's arent really good enough to do critical comparisons (even though we do it here all the time as you can get the general idea from a quality mp3)

its just hard to trust a guy named Monty:D .....

what is this test all about?...what are you trying to accomplish?....how did you hear about Homerecording.com?.....

If you are in the market for a mic,
or you just need to see the difference between a $200 mic and a $ 2000 mic, and what it will do to your recordings,

or you need to hear the mic that everybody is recommending,

Then you need to download these files. Even if it takes you a day.

Your eyes will be opened.

Gidge said:
You guys are both right....

no, im not downloading that large ass file....

no, mp3's arent really good enough to do critical comparisons (even though we do it here all the time as you can get the general idea from a quality mp3)

its just hard to trust a guy named Monty:D .....

what is this test all about?...what are you trying to accomplish?....how did you hear about Homerecording.com?.....

we test these mics, 'cause a few friends wanna buy a mic & i was also interested about the differences of a $200-mic & a $1500-mic. i asked my dealer (his also a friend) about a few mic's for a weekend, at the same time a distributor wanna give me some new products to test in the same period.

i hear about this forum 'cause of harvey gerst (i was interested in some russian mics), i normaly write in german forums (keyboardforum) & i'm moderator of a forum called "mixen & mastern" on www.oszillator.de, im also a senior-member of the george massenburg-forum.

my perofession is mixing- & mastering-engineer. i mastered allready a few double-platinum-records & had also top ten hits in switzerland as a producer.

this is a blindtest, 'cause this way no prices or brands influences you while listening. i send you the key when you send me your ratings & i puplish the ratings end of the month.

Sounds great....

Hell, now Im insanely curious...I may try the download instead of waiting for the disk......

I'd rather everything just be named outright rather than waiting around for answers.... actually, the way they sound through that preamp interests me more than anything, the dual mono is a fair priced pre, and the same pres as the DVC :)
Would you send me an email and let me know which are which, I'll keep it to myself... ??? Thanks.

Keep in mind, everyone, that the Langevin is no $100 ART preamp with a glowy thing in it. It is a higer-than-normal-voltage Class A preamp (think Avalon)with the same handwound Manley transformers as the Voxbox and the other Manley stuff. Your favorite mic will most likely NOT be as pristine when plug it into a Behringer console. Thats a damn fine preamp, and you would do better with that preamp and an SM57 than a $1200 mic and a crappy preamp. Heads up.

That L2 would be nice to have, too... sigh...

tubedude said:
Keep in mind, everyone, that the Langevin is no $100 ART preamp with a glowy thing in it. It is a higer-than-normal-voltage Class A preamp (think Avalon)with the same handwound Manley transformers as the Voxbox and the other Manley stuff. Your favorite mic will most likely NOT be as pristine when plug it into a Behringer console. Thats a damn fine preamp, and you would do better with that preamp and an SM57 than a $1200 mic and a crappy preamp. Heads up.

That L2 would be nice to have, too... sigh...
we tested also with 3 mics (one was a ribbon) & vocal 5 different preamps, but i take this files next month on my server, step by step :)
the characters of the mics are better hearable with a good preamp, so we use the langevin for the mic test.

tubedude said:
I'd rather everything just be named outright rather than waiting around for answers.... actually, the way they sound through that preamp interests me more than anything, the dual mono is a fair priced pre, and the same pres as the DVC :)
Would you send me an email and let me know which are which, I'll keep it to myself... ??? Thanks.
your mailbox is full, i can't send you a private message

NO, dont do it

hey monty,

Dont send tubedude the key without him listening.
It is a very different experience when you already know what you are listening for.

I would like tubedude to hear the files before getting the key, so that he can rest assured that he is not hearing things.

Tubedude, when you listen, post your results here so that we can compare. :D

Re: NO, dont do it

CyanJaguar said:
hey monty,

Dont send tubedude the key without him listening.
It is a very different experience when you already know what you are listening for.

I would like tubedude to hear the files before getting the key, so that he can rest assured that he is not hearing things.

Tubedude, when you listen, post your results here so that we can compare. :D
cyan jaguar, no panic, i don't send him the key :D
i just would like to tell him one mic/number, this way he can check the langevin dvc

Damn Cyan, you're wild...
My box is empty now, or has some space, at least.
So what is your overall impression of the DVC preamps without the limiter? I think the DVC has the EQ too, like the dual mono, right? How is that? Dual mono is only like $1300 if anyone is interested in it.
Peace.

my opinion or monty's. To me, not knowing anything about high end preamps, it sounds freaking good.

Hey, why dont you download the files?

Zipping won't help much (will only compress a .wav file about 10%), now if you were to use Monkey's Audio Compression, that would cut things by ~40%. This would help us poor sods trying to download, plus I'd imagine your host would appreciate the bandwidth cut as well.

Queue

Even on my lan connection, it took me over 20 minutes per file, even though a file of that size should take less than 1 minute.
I think montys server is a bit slow
It was worth it though. Way worth it.

hey monty,

please can you kindly tell me how no.5 is doing in the rankings right now?

Back