100 dollar Monitors?

Will these be accurate for mixing also, or just good for tracking?

they're fairly accurate. Like all closed back they'll be a little hyped in the bass. For just mixing, of the two, I'd go with the Audio Technicas but they're maybe a little soft in the high end by a smidgen. And I actually use open airs for tracking too but most don't because there's a chance that you could get some bleed from the phones to the mic. Either of those phones will get you started mixing while you wait for money to get a proper set of monitors.

But don't make the mistake of thinking that ANY of the inexpensive monitors are that accurate anyway.
It's a misconception that people have ........... the term 'monitor' is mostly a marketing term. Until you get up to pretty expensive monitors, they ALL have their own sound and they ALL have their own inaccuracies. They stick the words "studio monitor" on it and all of a sudden people think that means it's super flat. On inexpensive monitors it's just not so.

No matter what you get, whether it's headphones or monitors, there's a certain amount of learning what your monitoring set-up sounds like and learning how it translates to other peoples' stereos.

Last edited:
Will these be accurate for mixing also, or just good for tracking?

I found them to be fairly accurate, like Lt. Bob said. They're accurate enough to mix with IMO. Also like he said, it's just a matter of having your ears "learn" the speakers/headphones and how they relate to everything else you listen to music on. Then once you are comfortable with how things should sound on 'em, it's a walk in the park.

I do agree that they are a bit bass-heavy. I never really noticed until I bought some AKG MKII K271s, and felt they were really light on the bass. Maybe they're just more flat and I was used to the heavier bass end of the 280s.

You still need speakers of some sort but I bet I could get a mix to translate fairly well with my Audio Technicas...the hardest part seems to be getting the initial levels right...but after that its surprising how well, or much, you can mix on them...I mix a lot of detail with cans as Im in an apartment and share a workspace with my wife doing who has studies...

but I still think you need speakers of some sort...and not PC speakers, even if they are just bookshelves

what if I got the senn 280 headphones, then the alesis usb monitors I mentioned earlier and mixed working the two together? Or are the the usb monitors too cheap? I would go with old hifi speakers, but i dont want to mess with getting a amp.

what if I got the senn 280 headphones, then the alesis usb monitors I mentioned earlier and mixed working the two together? Or are the the usb monitors too cheap? I would go with old hifi speakers, but i dont want to mess with getting a amp.

that would be a fine starting point.

Fact is ........... there will always be another piece of gear you need/want so may as well get started.

lol maybe that would apply if I wasnt 17 making minimum wadge :drunk:

Hmm... tricky... I see your problem.

You don't have a little brother or sister you can sell into servitude either, I suppose...

Can you hit the olds up for something as a Christmas present... after all, you have your own YouTube channel, so clearly you need to invest in your future..! :D

Good luck! :cool:

Hmm... tricky... I see your problem.

You don't have a little brother or sister you can sell into servitude either, I suppose...

Can you hit the olds up for something as a Christmas present... after all, you have your own YouTube channel, so clearly you need to invest in your future..! :D

Good luck! :cool:

Or perhaps he could sell a kidney! That'd pay for a nice home studio set-up.

^^^^^^This
He said it was just 'till he could save up and get some good monitors.

Why should he have to wait to do anything at all 'till then?
A good pair of phones will always be useful and will let him get started.

don't mix with phones, guys

I mix with phones all the time. Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't depending on my mood.
My mixes pretty much sound the same either way.

No shit .
I mean, it's not like I said that phones are preferable ......... they're not.
But good lord ...... the very first post he said specifically that it was just for now while he saves up for monitors.
So we've got people telling him to save up when he already said that's what he's doing and others that seem to think that it's better not to do anything at all if you don't have all the proper gear.

That's dumb ..... there's absolutely no reason he can't get started with some decent phones until he gets enough saved up for good monitors which is what he said he's doing!
So the useful and appropriate answer is what $100 phones do you think would do the best at that job.

I can't give Lt. Bob any more positive rep, yet... it's been too soon since last time... :O

He actually says until he can "afford" better monitors...

That's not the same as actively saving up for them, which he has not at any stage said he'll be doing - which is why I originally suggested that rather than waste $100 on crappy monitors he save a bit more, if he can, and get decent ones.

"Afford" could be a long time in the future.

If the aim of the game was to decide what the best allocation of $100 was, then it's cans, no problems with that, but that puts him $100 further away from getting decent monitors, and that might be a big number for him...

Anyway, whatever...

thanks for all the answers guys. I should have been more clear, I have 100 dollars right now, and I need to get monitors/headphones with it. If I get headphones, I will be saving up for some monitors which will probably take a month or so. But I need to get started on my project sooner then that

Back