10 newly mixed tracks

Hey Alex. I'm giving you the highest compliment possible: " Your stuff don't suck A LOT!!'

I dove in, figuring I'd listen to one cut. I'm on cut two..and think I'm gonna make it all the way through...mebbe twice.

Fantastic mixes and mastering, great invention, huge doses of melody and great arrangement. Performances are expertly crafted. Nothin' but net!

I like the way you've introduced elements together that I've not ever heard combined before...like the bluesy vocal treatment...with rap delivery... in cut one, with the Sting-ish pulse and ...well...so many other influences and stains. You got a unique stew...new and interesting.

Great work. No nits, whatever. You got some serious gifts and talent. I'm jealous.

Hey GuitZero...check out this kid!!! I know Matt would dig it, too.

On cut three??, now....still tuned in...the mando solo...more cross-genre invention! Diggin' it totally. And the quality of the vox. And harmony. And phrasing. Sheeeeitttt!!!!!!

And your drummer kicks it.

We'll be hearing your stuff on the radio. I'm dead sure. On your way.

Cut 6...still great. Whew!

If you're not using auto-tune on your vox.....holy crapp!

OK...cut ten. My favorite? Kudos for being one of the very few cats I ever heard with ears that can engineer a chordal intersection of simultaneous major and minor thirds that works.

Last edited:
Huge thanks!!

Jeff thanks for the high praise! I greatly appreciate it.
This is the first time people outside of the band have listened to the work, so i've totally lost my objectivity. :)
I put my whole soul into this recording and feel really good about it.

There are graph mode auto-tune touches here and there, but its never applied in a "filter mode". We have some strong vocals in the band, so we don't want to over-correct a good thing. :)

-Alex

--
alex petty
alexander.petty@gmail.com
phone: +001.540.322.3922
http://alexpetty.fm

It's my highest praise...reserved for fewer than four or five guys who post here.

Second time through...learning some stuff.

Curious, what's your musical background? This is a lot more than garage rock. You and everyone in the band are seriously studied..or immensly gifted....like , maybe, a bunch of guys who kicked together at music school, and never got infected with the dread 'jazz disease'.

Close?

Last edited:
Thanks again and you are quite close indeed with your guess.

We all lived together in college and are life long friends.
We all studied music in school and have been a band all these years. Since about 2000 we have gotten deep into audio engineering since the equipment has gotten so inexpensive! Over the years we've learned a lot from this forum and other sources - but mostly its just a passion for doing it!

If you are interested you can see a bit more about the band:

drumfishTV
https://www.youtube.com/drumfishtv

a live performance
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RmiNDZkO7Y

--
alex petty

Hi Alex, I'm listening now while I'm working. Really, really good stuff. I'm about halfway through, and so far I think it's really outstanding. I don't like to compare people to other artists, but there are a couple of moments in here where I'm picking up a nice Glenn Phillips vibe, which is an awesome thing. So far, I think No Hesitation is a stand out track, although all of them are really strong and interesting. You have a great sense of structure and the melodies and chorus hooks with harmonies are fantastic. Also, the instrumentation and arrangements are top notch, excellent musicianship at every point along the way.

One nit, just minor, in my humble opinion, is track order. The very first track was my least favorite so far. There's some timing issues in that verse vocal line...I can definitely get what you were going for there, but it's just a little off timing-wise, and I had a hard time enjoying that one. Track two is better, and then it really takes off with No Hesitation, which is a stand out in my opinion. I just finished listening to Poetry in Motion, and all of the tracks from 2 - 6 have been outstanding.

I'm with Jeff, I'd love to know your background, and any additional information about the band. Also, I'd love to hear about the recording process. Is this a home studio recording? It sounds really professional if yes, and I'd love to hear about your gear and your process. Are you the engineer, and if so, are you self-taught? Man, this is good stuff!

I can honestly say I'll be listening to this again many times just because I like it.

Very cool :cool:

Best Regards,

Dave DeWhitt
www.soundclick.com/davedewhitt

Way cool. If the guitar player ever chokes on his vomit, I'd want to audition for the band. If that's you, Thanks in-advance! Kidding.

Best of luck. You guys are great.

Too funny!
I usually sing lead and I am the main guitarist. Larry also sings leads (such as on track 2), but we both play guitar. He also plays piano.

I'm going to eat my lunch especially carefully today - but if anything happens, ill have the guys call you. :)

-Alex

--
alex petty

May I suggest a ham sandwich? Cass Elliot special. No drugs involved. You can maintain your rep in passing.

ps...great idea, the vid channel. Make your own way, using what resources available...believe, and have balls. Of course, not sucking at what you present is kinda important. Y' got it covered.

pps...I'm planning on being on the coast of VA first week in August. Any gigs in the area that week?? I'd really like to hear and see you live.

One nit, just minor, in my humble opinion, is track order. The very first track was my least favorite so far. There's some timing issues in that verse vocal line...I can definitely get what you were going for there, but it's just a little off timing-wise, and I had a hard time enjoying that one. Track two is better, and then it really takes off with No Hesitation, which is a stand out in my opinion. I just finished listening to Poetry in Motion, and all of the tracks from 2 - 6 have been outstanding.

thanks for this feedback.
we have yet to finalize the sequence for the master, and so this feedback is actually quite useful.

Yeah man, I just got back to listening and finished up the remainder of the tracks. I went back to tracks 1 and 2, and they are very good, but to me 3 - 10 are all so outstanding, that 1 and 2 suffer just a little by comparison.

That's just one guy's opinion though, so take it for what it's worth :)

I also just want to say, that to me, the recording and the mix sounds stellar, so I have no advice there, other than to say keep up the good work.

I enjoyed the YouTube videos, thanks for sharing those.

Best Regards,

Dave DeWhitt
www.soundclick.com/davedewhitt

This is polished stuff. Jeff you are right. These guys have a future that is bright. I'm on track 4 now and totally diggin' it.

Are you guys releasing this CD? Let us know when. I'm in for a few.

GZ

This is the kind of stuff I wish I heard when I turn on the pop music station. Although a lot of great stuff gets posted here in the mp3 clinic from time to time, I feel fairly comfortable in saying this is among the best I have heard so far...recording wise, musically/musicianship, writing/arranging...all top notch. And as has been said, the mixing of the genre influences...straight pop, latin, even some country elements...is fascinating and keeps things interesting.

So far my only knit is Earthworms...I can hear what(I think) you're going for....almost a beatlesque droning type feel. The bass nails Paul's playing in those type tunes. But the cymbals(open hat?) are a bit much, and possibly too much going on out in front to achieve the goal. I couldn't begin to advise on achieving that goal(if it was your goal at all). Perhaps it as you intended. Regardless, one of the better songs in the playlist, though, IMO.

I love the Latin influence in It Just Don't Matter To Me. Your drummer kicks ass.

A stand out for me is In The Flood. It's an excellent tune. It draws one in emotionally. I'm not one for studying the lyrics to understand the exact message...this song has bits and phrases that pop out and grab you. I very much like the way the 1st verse is melancholy and the 2nd is the same same with a bit of a positive "though we live in adversity, we endure and are gonna make it". Listening again....goose bumps and chills.

Both you guys have excellent vocal ability. Nice switch-up, the variation.

I hope you guys make it. You deserve it. Best of luck.

Wow. You guys are doing this well. Your songs are as well constructed and polished as Supertramp, Maroon 5, even a little Chilliesque. Not sure what you're doing here at HR! Well done

I'm planning on being on the coast of VA first week in August. Any gigs in the area that week?? I'd really like to hear and see you live.

I will let you know if we have any shows booked for the first week of August for sure.
At the moment there are no shows on the books in August at all - but one could pop in there.

Thanks again to everyone the feedback on the mixes. It totally helped us to get the outside perspective. This forum is a great service for fledgling indie music as well as a great resource for learning.

--
alex petty

Back