‘Rich Men North Of Richmond’ Oliver Anthony's viral video 20 million views in 9 days Damn!

Wow I'm voting for Oliver Anthony...

So I notice he's faking that country accent again...NOT so much...asshats

He's just a simple young man from VA who wrote and performed a song that happened to hit home with the middle class masses and went viral...pretty salt of the earth cat.
Pretty cool that he called it like he saw it with regards to everybody jumping on his coat tails of the ride he's on.

Regarding the cat jabbering after he speaks., Like so many asshat politicos he just used the Oliver Anthony lead in to stand on his idiotic soap box defending "Bidumbnomics"
Lying with statistics as they all do The Feds want to raise interest rates because we keep spending and inflation is growing, While most of the Unions ( less that 12% of the working class) are all wanting raises and are either currently striking or threatening to because everything is so expensive. Yeah everything's peachy thanks to Bidumbnomics

Last edited:
^^ That (dogooder post) is so full of holes it's too deep of a dive for a response, not that I have the answers. It's true that we're all taxed on this, taxed on that, multi layered taxed, taxed, taxed. But in a sense, though redundant taxes hit us all, redundantly, tax cuts are going to benefit the ultra wealthy given that....and it's been a while since I looked at the numbers, and they be off...the top something like 5% in wealth pay something like 90% of the taxes in this country. Federal taxes. Bottom 50% or more pay no taxes, other than payroll tax, social security. So naturally any tax cuts are pretty much or exclusively going to benefit the wealthy. People who pay no taxes are not going to benefit from a tax cuts, plain and simple. Taxes aren't necessarily what is eating the not wealthy alive, it is cost of living, housing, groceries, gasoline. You'll hear people all over say they feel like what would otherwise seem like good money, but they can't seem to get anywhere, living paycheck to paycheck. And when the layoffs come, and they are coming for folks, they don't even have that, a paycheck. The federal govt, it spends out of sinc with the vast majority of the population of this country, on an i owe you. Take Hawaii, folks there get a pittance in relief while another 75 billion goes to Ukraine.

I'm not smart enough to figure any of this shit out, and my guess is neither is Oliver Anthony. "Free country", but he should probably just shut up and sing. Do like "the voice of a generation" Bob Dylan did when quizzed. "They're just songs, man." His "lack of an accent", he sounds very much like my cousin from central Virginia. I've seen some speculate he's a plant. Crazy world. I would like to hear him say Farmville. Folks from central Virginia don't go full on with the ville part, it's more like Farmvul, or Farmvil with a small quick vil. Both sides are trying to co-opt the guy, the left hated him but all of a sudden something he's rattled on about he's their darling sticking a finger in the eye of the GOP. Maybe Bob Dylan was on to something, Oliver Anthony keeps talking trying to explain himself, things that are over his head, he's just might find himself out in the cold canceled, by everyone. Just shut up and sing.

Reactions: TAE
^^ That (dogooder post) is so full of holes it's too deep of a dive for a response, not that I have the answers. It's true that we're all taxed on this, taxed on that, multi layered taxed, taxed, taxed. But in a sense, though redundant taxes hit us all, redundantly, tax cuts are going to benefit the ultra wealthy given that....and it's been a while since I looked at the numbers, and they be off...the top something like 5% in wealth pay something like 90% of the taxes in this country. Federal taxes. Bottom 50% or more pay no taxes, other than payroll tax, social security. So naturally any tax cuts are pretty much or exclusively going to benefit the wealthy. People who pay no taxes are not going to benefit from a tax cuts, plain and simple. Taxes aren't necessarily what is eating the not wealthy alive, it is cost of living, housing, groceries, gasoline. You'll hear people all over say they feel like what would otherwise seem like good money, but they can't seem to get anywhere, living paycheck to paycheck. And when the layoffs come, and they are coming for folks, they don't even have that, a paycheck. The federal govt, it spends out of sinc with the vast majority of the population of this country, on an i owe you. Take Hawaii, folks there get a pittance in relief while another 75 billion goes to Ukraine.

I'm not smart enough to figure any of this shit out, and my guess is neither is Oliver Anthony. "Free country", but he should probably just shut up and sing. Do like "the voice of a generation" Bob Dylan did when quizzed. "They're just songs, man." His "lack of an accent", he sounds very much like my cousin from central Virginia. I've seen some speculate he's a plant. Crazy world. I would like to hear him say Farmville. Folks from central Virginia don't go full on with the ville part, it's more like Farmvul, or Farmvil with a small quick vil. Both sides are trying to co-opt the guy, the left hated him but all of a sudden something he's rattled on about he's their darling sticking a finger in the eye of the GOP. Maybe Bob Dylan was on to something, Oliver Anthony keeps talking trying to explain himself, things that are over his head, he's just might find himself out in the cold canceled, by everyone. Just shut up and sing.
His life is forever changed...of course so is each and everyone of us every second of life we live....Cha cha cha cha changes, turn and face the strange...changes.
Financially he has won a lottery of sorts , he seems like he has his head on straight so I hope he can keep an even keel and have a nice life after this all blows over. All the best to him and to hell with the politicos.

As far as this fake accent thing...

Although I enjoy the music, and can somewhat appreciate some keeping it alive, it kind of sticks in my craw to see these larpers on the likes of Austin City Limits doing the country/hillbilly larp thing. They have the suspenders & walking shoes, simple babydoll dresses & plain hairdos, and thick hillbilly accents. Wtf, you're from New Jersey. Yeah, you ain't bonafide unless you have one of them thick ass hillbilly accents. You just know they're *bleeping* libs, for the most part look down on the folks they're larping, ain't got a damn use for them other than the self satisfaction of feigning sympathy for their ignorance and poverty. That and the music. I don't know, besides maybe the looking down and feigned sympathy it's nothing new. Bob Dylan, John Prine, a whole host of others doing the larp thing. Just as long as you're not actually one of them, the ignorant, the impoverished, in part the origin of a large part of the American music catalog. They don't give a damn if some of them lose their jobs and livelihood in the coal mines, "learn to code, lol".

"Look, Oliver Anthony doesn't actually have a hillbilly accent, he's actually one of us!"

*spit*

"larp". Interesting reference, old man.

LARP=Live Action Role Play

glad I could help

The rest, some days, some days not. I gotta admit, over the last year....59-60 has kind of kicked this old man in the nuts. Feelin' it, at times. In the words of my dementia stricken friend who still manages to remember all the corny jokes, hittin' sixty ain't for sissies. You ain't got a fuçkin' chance.

Ha, that was a joke! Ribbing. Enjoy your day, young feller.

Yeah - I used to have a musician friend that was into that medieval LARP thing. That seems like harmless fun. A little silly for my taste, though.

I am but a young lad - turning a youthful 55 in a few days. It's my job that keeps me young. Wearing all the hats of small business ownership and still staying out in the field working shoulder to shoulder with my workers is a heavier lift than it once was. But I'm leaning into it for now. With the aim of solidly fortifying my retirement nest egg. Pedal really hard just a little longer. And then coast the rest of the way. That's the plan anyway.

Happy Saturday to you as well!

John Fogerty is a larper and I loved Credence...totally thought they were from New Orleans or something

I am but a young lad - turning a youthful 55 in a few days. It's my job that keeps me young. Wearing all the hats of small business ownership and still staying out in the field working shoulder to shoulder with my workers is a heavier lift than it once was. But I'm leaning into it for now. With the aim of solidly fortifying my retirement nest egg. Pedal really hard just a little longer. And then coast the rest of the way. That's the plan anyway.
lol - you sound like me. I have nine years on you though. I'm in the heating oil biz delivering fuel to residential consumers. I still drive on occasion - more than I had intended. Every time I try to ease back something crops up and leaves me most qualified, available and able to do the physical part. I'm getting too old for this shit. What's your line?

lol - you sound like me. I have nine years on you though. I'm in the heating oil biz delivering fuel to residential consumers. I still drive on occasion - more than I had intended. Every time I try to ease back something crops up and leaves me most qualified, available and able to do the physical part. I'm getting too old for this shit. What's your line?
I'm a long time heating, a/c, and refrigeration contractor in north Texas. I've built my small business over roughly 18 years by treating people the way that I would want to be treated. Growing as much as I would like and prefer has been difficult because I have very high ethical standards and finding people I can trust to run my program has been a challenge. Collin county has had very low unemployment for decades - so the pool to draw from is limited. As it turns out - I continue to be my best frontline spokesperson and representative.

This endeavor has been a challenge - but also has been very rewarding. I'm proud of what I've done. Never spent a nickel on advertising- word of mouth has done the trick. Tell the truth - always - and treat folks right.... the rest falls into place. :thumbs up:

Last edited:
Yeah - I used to have a musician friend that was into that medieval LARP thing. That seems like harmless fun. A little silly for my taste, though.

Happy Saturday to you as well!

I'm tellin' ya, brother, although in reality it's probably more of a creeper, it sure does seem to one day just sneak up on you. Bam, flip the script. I used to never get tired, within reason, just a few short years ago. Used to sort of pride myself on it. "Aren't you tired?" Nope, I says.....said. Sometimes things ain't like they used to be. Sometimes. After all these years I've just discovered my Indian name, wonkyknee. Sometimes.

Happy Birthday! Tellin' you now in case I forget. You know, old guys and all. Heh.

John Fogerty is a larper and I loved Credence...totally thought they were from New Orleans or something

I'm not all totally down on larping. Hell, in a way it's what performing arts is all about, isn't it. Honestly, I haven't been closely following the Oliver Anthony drama, mostly just what I've read/seen here. But it seems some who weren't particularly fond of the whole thing or cared for the guy were all of a sudden giddy and on board, "See, he doesn't have an accent, and he's not even racist!" What does that tell you(other than pwning the right)...tell you about the same folks who sit their ass in a seat and possibly onstage at Austin City Limits saying, isn't old timey hillbilly music just wunnerful.

Okay, I said I haven't been following it, but I clicked on something and there it was, from Oliver Anthony....

"This will be my last post about politics on social media. I apologize for beating a dead horse, but I just need to address this quote in my video earlier, since it’s been misquoted / misinterpreted this evening. Corporate news (big surprise) is now trying to twist me into being a Biden supporter. 🤣

“That song has nothing to do with Joe Biden, it’s a lot bigger than Joe Biden” is referencing DeSantis’ response to my song. He talks about needing to get Joe Biden out, as if that would automatically solve all the problems. Biden is a big part of the issue, but it runs much deeper.

Rich Men North of Richmond is about corporate owned DC politicians on both sides. Though Biden’s most certainly a problem, the lyrics aren’t exclusively knocking Biden, it’s bigger and broader than that. It’s knocking the system collectively.

Including the corporate owned conservative polticans that were on stage that night.

🙂 Goodnight everyone. Thanks again."

I think I could agree with that, except it goes further. It's a globalist problem.

Good for you. We have some shared qualities you and I. It ain't getting easier that's certain.
On a related note - I'm an authorized Lennox dealer and they just sent out a notice last week announcing that they will cease production of their oil furnace line due to slumping demand. Of course, we don't have oil furnaces down here - but I found that interesting. A sign of the times, I suppose.

Reactions: TAE
Back