‘Rich Men North Of Richmond’ Oliver Anthony's viral video 20 million views in 9 days Damn!

We drove through the area last June on our way to our Va house to get it ready for sale. Spent night in Roanoke then drove to Richmond. It's a beautiful drive. Up through Appomattox, Buckingham, Dillwyn, etc. The whole ride I'm like, We could retire here... how 'bout here. No wait, here. My wife got tired of me quickly. lol
We retired here. I hope to eventually drag myself back to the Hartshorne Woods to die, but I think it will happen here. Once I get the sentence I will do what I can to get back there. and die in my favorite spot.

Reactions: TAE
So 34 million views in 2 weeks...loser

So the first time I watched this I was just kind of captured in the moment and had no idea it had 20 million views...a friend had posted it of FB in a twitter format..saw it there then went to Youtube to see who this cat was....That's when I saw the 20 million views in 9 days thing.

Now I am trying to figure out how he produced this recording....
What mic is he using?
The guitar is a Gretsch G9220 Bobtail Resonator that cost @ $650
What was the audio recorded on?
What kind of cameras? It is a multi camera shoot. iPhones?
Who did the video editing? What did they use?
Was it mastered before it was released? It sounds like it was If yes, who what where?

Re-watching this it is a really cool song presented as a grass roots, working class Virginia hillbilly just doing his thing.
Thing is this was very well produced. You know how Finneas gives us a tour of his bedroom studio... I am hoping we can get a peek into how this was produced. The audio is way clean....
The vocal has a nice solid reverb on it but I am not hearing the same amount of reverb on the guitar ..How dey do dat? ... maybe it is live...maybe it's memorex watchyall think?
I wonder about the mic, could be something as simple as an NT1A. The guitar was probably taken direct. At one point you can see a cable and what looks like a Dobro pickup setup. A $30 OnStage boom mic stand. A Zoom H4n or Tascam DR 40. Get a couple of buddies with Iphones, mix it down in Reaper and edit it in DaVinci. It really wouldn't take a whole lot to do something like this.

Oliver Anthony.jpg

Yes, I’ve done that drive. Breathtaking indeed, especially in the fall.
Absolutely! The last time I drove it was a few years ago. I was traveling alone and stayed at a lodge. Seated by myself at dinner, window side, deer were standing there with their noses pressed up to my window side seat.

Wherever there are deer, there are ticks. Don't feed or pet the deer!

Well, he's up to 36 Million after 2 weeks. Trending #1 on Youtube. Yeah, DG, you're being condescending. He's got my channel beat by about 35,999,900 over the past few weeks.

BTW, I was looking at a few of the other videos on WVRadio's page, and they generally are using the same setup. Looks like an NT1A based on the grill and overall shape. One video had an SM57 on the fellow's acoustic. The same setup goes back over a year, and they all have a similar sound. You really can't tell what the recorder might be. It could be something like the Zoom F series. According to the WVRadio channel info, it's

"Real Music, Real People, Real Cuture. Posting Videos Weekly!

radiowv was created by two broke college students with passion for soulful and real music. We seen the vast array of talent within our region and wanted to create a platform in which we could share it with the world."

In other words, it sounds like a couple of dudes who would have fit in here on HR, got themselves a few mics, maybe a couple of video cameras or a couple of I-Phones, and a computer, and went out looking for some people with talent in their little corner of the world. Most of the other videos are around 35-40,000 views. Only the last two, RMNOR and Virginia are biggies, with 36M and 3.4M each.

Well, he's up to 36 Million after 2 weeks. Trending #1 on Youtube. Yeah, DG, you're being condescending. He's got my channel beat by about 35,999,900 over the past few weeks.

BTW, I was looking at a few of the other videos on WVRadio's page, and they generally are using the same setup. Looks like an NT1A based on the grill and overall shape. One video had an SM57 on the fellow's acoustic. The same setup goes back over a year, and they all have a similar sound. You really can't tell what the recorder might be. It could be something like the Zoom F series. According to the WVRadio channel info, it's

"Real Music, Real People, Real Cuture. Posting Videos Weekly!

radiowv was created by two broke college students with passion for soulful and real music. We seen the vast array of talent within our region and wanted to create a platform in which we could share it with the world."
Wow thanks for the deep dive info. It makes sense now.
The Radio station set up up the shoot not Oliver. They musty be shitting bricks.

In the picture you posted there a couple iphones / phones on the folding chair and one has some lens adapters on it.

Your analysis of gear and how they may have shot is a great one..Thanks again!
Once I get the sentence I will do what I can to get back there. and die in my favorite spot.
Sometimes you don't get the memo until it's too late to do anything other than maybe get the words "OH SHIT!" out like my brother in law did at 50 when he had a widow maker in the shower at 5 AM on a Monday morning. Damn! Blinded by the light. I would not mind dying in my sleep...the long drawn out thing..I'll take a pass if I get a choice in the matter. Already faced it once ..it's weird and a bit sucky on several levels.

Twenty million of 8 billion? I don't mean to be condescending
Yes you did you little instigator you :laughings:
FWIW it's 37 million as of today, just under 1/2 percent of the world population.
Like Rich said a shit ton more than any of us here at HR.Com are ever going to have.
One nickel for each of those 37 million views equates to almost 2 million bucks...

Not bad for VA Hillbilly kid strummin a guitar and singing his heart out with a genuine passion and sincerity.

Radio WV Facebook Page..Now I get it on the recording

We drove through the area last June on our way to our Va house to get it ready for sale. Spent night in Roanoke then drove to Richmond. It's a beautiful drive. Up through Appomattox, Buckingham, Dillwyn, etc. The whole ride I'm like, We could retire here... how 'bout here. No wait, here. My wife got tired of me quickly. lol

Hey Chili. Remember we spoke, I don't know, maybe two or more years ago. I finally did it, made that move. Although I do miss the beach, anytime at me leisure, the change of pace is refreshing....although at times I'm as busy as ever. If you're (somewhat) serious, try the Bedford Va area, Bedford County. At the foot of the Blue Ridge. Looking up at the Peaks of Otter, rolling hills, it's beautiful, orchards here and there. Low taxes, salt of the earth good people, nice area, headed west about mid-way between Lynchburg and Roanoke. Try the north side of rt. 460. Prime real estate, prices are going up, get it while you can. God's country.

Interesting factoid: Per capita Bedford lost the most sons of any town/community within the US on D-day, and there after, "The Bedford Boys". Is said to have been the inspiration for the film Saving Private Ryan. There is a pretty cool national D-day memorial in town, a somewhat emotional visit if you're so inclined. Incidentally, conscientious objector and thus medic war hero as depicted in the film Hacksaw Ridge, Desmond Doss, was born and raised there in Lynchburg, Va.

Anyway, something to consider. Hope all is well.

I finally did it, made that move.
I realize Chesapeake is a little different but my now deceased business partner used to complain about the weather and get all jealous of me and my tortuous California weather... He loved the weather here but couldn't stomach the lefties and the taxes of the "Golden state".

I've driven all over the south and from VA up to Canada during the changing of the colors...wowzer...I just can't get the banjo song from deliverance from going through my head sometimes though going through the south....gulp!

It's crazy how in 2023 we're still so culturally different from coast to coast.

I realize Chesapeake is a little different but my now deceased business partner used to complain about the weather and get all jealous of me and my tortuous California weather... He loved the weather here but couldn't stomach the lefties and the taxes of the "Golden state".

I've driven all over the south and from VA up to Canada during the changing of the colors...wowzer...I just can't get the banjo song from deliverance from going through my head sometimes though going through the south....gulp!

It's crazy how in 2023 we're still so culturally different from coast to coast.

Heh. I know I've told this story before, but here goes.....

My bass player got up with some singer type guy and they needed an extra guitar player to fill things out. The gig was out in the sticks, family gathering sort of thing. Really nice folks, I mean really nice down home folks. Lady of the house was an absolute stunner, but just as sweet as she could be. All the daughters and granddaughters were the same, pretty girls, sweet as could be, genuine no airs whatsoever. We played a set, kind of a short set at that.. As the sun started sinking low behind the mountain one by one family members starting gathering on the porch, guitars, fiddles, banjo, dobro, man they were going at it, sounded good. Mama Strickland the matriarch was right up in the middle rocking chair singing this sort of rough voice monotone harmony throughout, the anchor. They fed us, paid us, good hospitality, we didn't have to play a lick for the rest of the evening. Had a ball, I believe it was one of my most favorite "gigs" ever. It's like anywhere, there's good folks, and there's not so good folks. Most country folks will do about anything for you. When you talk to them, I reckon especially men folk, try not to crowd the interaction with excessive verbage. Let it breath, you'll be aight.

Big chuckle on this follow-up:

Oliver Anthony has come under fire from his right-wing fan base for allegedly faking his accent.
BFD
haters gotta hate Faking his accent? Fer cripes sake! two words John Fogerty...frickin fraud / California Kid. Born on a Bayou my ass...

The author builds this story around the idea that his conservative fan base have dis owned him because he doesn't have an accent when speaking and is not a racist. Well heck yeah if you ain't a hatin bigot with a country drawl you ain't a conservative. Got it

Bull shit

I was actually shocked with they played the song on the TV since he clearly says BULLSHIT pay. I guess since it's cable, they can get away without bleeping it. If he put out a CD, Tipper Gore would make them put a parental advisory sticker on it. Then it would sell like hotcakes.

I also like the article saying that the song isn't getting airplay. You can't say bullshit on the radio folks. FCC fines and all that kind of makes it a problem, unless they want to bleep it like the rappers do. Like getting a redacted transcript that you can see through.

Anybody remember when South Park had an episode that the kids said shit. It became a big joke, because in the end, they put a counter on the screen and it was said something like 150 times.

Sometimes people are just too stupid to even listen to.

I wonder about the mic, could be something as simple as an NT1A. The guitar was probably taken direct. At one point you can see a cable and what looks like a Dobro pickup setup. A $30 OnStage boom mic stand. A Zoom H4n or Tascam DR 40. Get a couple of buddies with Iphones, mix it down in Reaper and edit it in DaVinci. It really wouldn't take a whole lot to do something like this.

View attachment 132467
Someone photoshop this and replace that dog with a pig please. Thank you.

Back