Repercussions of a failed music industry

Farview

It came to my attention today that a former client of mine is releasing a new album. He is a former rock star that is no longer associated with the band that made him famous. Unfortunately, he is still under the impression that people should give him stuff for free, and that the record labels should take care of everything and pay for everything.

Since around 2008, he has sent me songs to quickly mix for demo purposes. I did them for very cheap because he is a friend and, once he got the record deal, he would record the CD in my studio. So we are talking 9 songs over the course of 6 years, all recorded with different equipment (he keeps changing amp endorsements), all in less than an hour by me. None of the mixes sound anything like each other. They were all delivered as mp3.

Last year, I closed the studio in Illinois and moved to Vegas. Right about that time, he got his recording budget... $400. He asked me to remix the entire album, plus a new song, for that $400. I would have had to start from scratch (hard drive failure took the original sessions) and actually try to make all the songs sound like they belong together, for about the price I would normally charge to mix a couple songs like this.

I told him it was going to take more money, so he decided to have someone else mix the last song and present that and the MP3's of the other songs to the record label. (The only wav file copies of the songs were on the deceased hard drive)

There is a long email from the label telling him that the album sounds like crap, but they weren't going to come up with any more money to fix it. Since there were no unmastered wav source files, they sent it to their mastering guy, who proceeded to smash the living piss out of everything to the point where some of the songs sound like they are being played through a revers reverb.

Luckily I told him that, if I wasn't going to re-record all of this, I didn't want my name on the album. Thankfully, it isn't.

There are all sorts of things wrong with this story. Artists that expect everyone else to invest in them, but won't invest in themselves. Record labels that want a professional product that won't come up with the budget to hire professionals. Artwork budgets that exceed the recording budget. I could go on.

Now that I've typed all that, I can't remember what my point was. I guess I'm just venting.

I thought i was going to read something about Justin Bieber or some other poptart. This is slightly more dreadful. Sorry man.

I thought i was going to read something about Justin Bieber or some other poptart.

It wouldn't surprise me that one that Leave It To Beeber ends up as "former teen idol", bankrupt and penniless.
Look what's happened to David Cassidy. Once the teen idol and his fans grew up, it all fell appart...and now he's facing bankruptcy.

Biebers getting a comedy central roast...I think it may be funny

sorry to hear the OP's story

It wouldn't surprise me that one that Leave It To Beeber ends up as "former teen idol", bankrupt and penniless.
Look what's happened to David Cassidy. Once the teen idol and his fans grew up, it all fell appart...and now he's facing bankruptcy.
I worked a David Cassidy show a couple years back. It was sold out (approx 1300 people in a chicago suburb). However, he was so ummm 'enhanced' that the show was just awful. Obviously everyone was there to hear the Partridge family tunes, which he would play the first verse into the chorus, then transition into Tush, or a Beatles medley, or something like that. He never played any of the songs that anyone wanted to hear all the way through.

Then, he gave the keyboardist a 15 minute solo, while he laid down on the stage and (possibly) took a nap. Then he spent another 20 minutes trying to chat up some 50 year old woman in pigtails that flew in from Germany to see the show. Meanwhile, 25 feet away, an 8 year old girl that was trying to give him some flowers was completely ignored.

The bankruptcy might have more to do with that sort of thing, more than not being able to attract a crowd.

Keep on shufflin', OP.
Musicians with big egos or no understanding of the intense, incredible amount of difference mixing and production on a track can have need to be educated about it.
There is a big disconnect between "I perform this" and "done!"
Most everything happens inbetween those two steps and really, the musician is at the engineers mercy and probably the most replacable part of any production.

And also lol@400$ from a label. I can't pay two weeks of rent with that.

Maybe it was a subtle "fuck off".

Back in the day, I was working with a major Motown artist going solo from his muti platinum band. (as a guitar tech, not engineer.)

They gave him 50K for a recording budget. We had a lot of fun in the studio. I even got to do some tracking.
When the record was done, Motown gave him a 10k marketing budget.
That record went NOWHERE. He ended up having to pay off the recording out of his pocket.

Yeah, that was a fuck you.

The actual budget was higher, but the artist was supposed to supply the artwork and a bunch of other stuff. By the time that was all done, there was $400 left for the mix.

Mind you, the guy thought that I was going to do real mixes for the same price as the scratch mixes, which was not the case. There is a reason those mixes are barely passable and only exist as mp3's, I thought that would deter something like this from happening. I was wrong.

Still a screwy situation.

I think a lot of artists figure if they aren't making any coin, neither should you.

I'm curious what record label brought this guy on? I think these days, it's not about what you've done, but more about what will you do. This guy should have had a CD in the can and ready to go, people knocking doors down to see one of his shows, before a label signed him. Were his songs THAT good?

Back in the day, I was working with a major Motown artist going solo from his muti platinum band. (as a guitar tech, not engineer.)

They gave him 50K for a recording budget. We had a lot of fun in the studio. I even got to do some tracking.
When the record was done, Motown gave him a 10k marketing budget.
That record went NOWHERE. He ended up having to pay off the recording out of his pocket.

Yeah, that was a fuck you.

Marketing is expensive and important everywhere :/

Modern triple AAA production video games budgets are more than 50% marketing. I think that either Battlefield 3 or the latest Grand Theft Auto or even the one before that was more towards 70% marketing costs out of the total budget of +100 million $ .

There is a big disconnect between "I perform this" and "done!"
Really ? Wouldnt that depend on the artist or group ?

Most everything happens inbetween those two steps and really, the musician is at the engineers mercy and probably the most replacable part of any production.
Something doesnt gel here. This seeminglt makes you come across just like the entitled wanker you claim the musician/artist to be ?

I'm curious what record label brought this guy on? I think these days, it's not about what you've done, but more about what will you do. This guy should have had a CD in the can and ready to go, people knocking doors down to see one of his shows, before a label signed him. Were his songs THAT good?
No, the songs weren't that good. He is a medium sized fish in a very small pond, which is why the interest.
He also got some attention from the last album, which I produced. That was a good sounding album with good songs, but that label sold out 1000 copies, then shelved it. (long story behind that)

Really ? Wouldnt that depend on the artist or group ?

Something doesnt gel here. This seeminglt makes you come across just like the entitled wanker you claim the musician/artist to be ?
The artist doesn't have to be a musician. Back in the 60's, the actual band was never allowed to record their own tracks. The labels had house bands that would play everything, because it was faster, cheaper and the results were predictable. There have always been 'ringers' brought in to play parts on albums when the guys in the band couldn't pull it off.

The artist doesn't have to be a musician. Back in the 60's, the actual band was never allowed to record their own tracks. The labels had house bands that would play everything, because it was faster, cheaper and the results were predictable. There have always been 'ringers' brought in to play parts on albums when the guys in the band couldn't pull it off.

Reads to me like you are talking in absolutes.

Back