Hey english people

Greg_L

Banned
Do you guys actually care about being "knighted" or care about who gets knighted? Do you not think it's silly to call someone "Sir" so-and-so? Is it a badge of honor, or is it a bag of douche? Is it just a tradition? Is it a tradition that you still care about?

P.S, - this is not a jab at you fuckers. I'm genuinely asking out of basic ol curiosity.

It's more tradition than anything and largely people don't give a damn. What a lot of people don't really get is that it is a really a system of recognition and there are many levels. MBE, OBE, CBE... ETC. Anyone can be nominated and the decision is made by Whitehall and is nothing to do with heraldry or royalty. Most countries have similar but they do not have a history in Royalty. On one level they are a way of recognising good public service and excellence in any walk of life on another level they are often chucked around as political reward. The titles are largely symbolic and infer little or no privilege or power.

They shouldn't be confused with being named a "Lord" or the like which is political and/or heredity and does not reflect any civic achievement to the public. That is the side of things most Brits want to see scrapped or massively amended.

On balance I support the honours role and not the peerage.

---------- Update ----------

And you're all related! :D

Only in Wales..:thumbs up:

I've been in many scottish bars and never once understood a word they were saying. Never get them started on the Irish Revolution. lol...

I never got the Knight thing either. I always saw it as recognition for public service and thought that's a good thing, but then I see Elton John and Paul McCartney getting knighted and I'm like, WTF?? :wtf: Yeah, they're public service is to write crappy songs and make billions of dollars/pounds/euros/etc.....

Who should we knight in America?? That's a tough one... Ooo, Whitney Houston. Big crack head and great singer and made lots of money. Those are the criteria, right??

What about Oprah??

I've been in many scottish bars and never once understood a word they were saying. Never get them started on the Irish Revolution. lol...

I never got the Knight thing either. I always saw it as recognition for public service and thought that's a good thing, but then I see Elton John and Paul McCartney getting knighted and I'm like, WTF?? :wtf: Yeah, they're public service is to write crappy songs and make billions of dollars/pounds/euros/etc.....

Who should we knight in America?? That's a tough one... Ooo, Whitney Houston. Big crack head and great singer and made lots of money. Those are the criteria, right??

What about Oprah??

Around the same time as Elton John got his Knighthood a humble school crossing guy also got recognised with an OBE... My great Grandfather got an OBE for services to the community during the first war. Many normal people get recogniosed and the high profile celeb awards kind of keep the shine on what otherwise might become a dusty old unrecognised honour. I'll buy into that if it supports the hard unseen work of joe public.

Most people don't give a shit. Some of the honours given out are nice, though, because people get nominated by members of the public (like an old teacher of mine), so they get recognised for all the work they put into the community.

Peerages are bad - they're basically for giving rich people unelected power.

Back