DAW Users With ADD

Happy Friday, men (and I use that term loosely).

The Weather's Not Fair
I finally was able to shut my heat off yesterday. I was hoping that would be it for the season.

Well, it looks like I got my wish cause I am about 5 minutes away from turning on the air conditioning. :mad:

On my long train journey to the N. of England and back on Thursday I passed by the Lake District and saw snow topped mountain tops :eek: And the daffodils are in full bloom there whereas they are spent where I live.

Windy wet and chilly the weekend; lets hope the South of France is warmer:cool:

Take care boyz, theres a lot of dodgy people about;)

:)

HAPPY SATURDAY!
and good morning to you.
I've got a boring weekend on tap,partly because there's nothing to do,partly because I have no money.

Guy's garden report
I spent $300 on fertiliser,seed,borders and plants just for the privilege of working in the yard.:eek:It's still cool and I haven't cut the grass yet but will probably have to next week sometime.
Come to think of it,I do have something to do....get the lawnmower running.

Work
For excitement this week I took a major shock while 14' in the air on a ladder.:eek:It's times like that when a pay cut starts looking real good.:(
The top guy should be coming back in a week or two and they want to hire a commercial installer so I'm hoping to get back into my little groove.I usually work by myself and the guys they do send out with me are helpers not partners so it's been a frustrating stretch.

lets hope the South of France is warmer
You take a boat for a trip across the channel and you're in France.I take a boat across a great lake and I'm in Michigan.:rolleyes:Anyways that's on tap for this summer.I've been to the UP,but in my book that's not really Michigan.There's really nothing there I want to see,I just want to say I've been there and take a boat trip also.

LATER!!!

For excitement this week I took a major shock while 14' in the air on a ladder.
I guess you can skip your therapy treatment this week. ;)

Just kidding. Glad you made it OK. How you manage to stay on the ladder? :eek:

My excitement this week was I broke a guitar string. :cool: Actually, I ordered three sets of strings a couple of weeks ago (Elixirs), and in less than 3 weeks time I have broken 4 strings (2 G's and 2 D's). I don't usually break strings that often, and 4 of them in 3 weeks is unheard of. Essentially I feel like I really only got use of 1 set - and at $39, that's an awfully expensive set of strings. :(

I'm really suspicious that there was something wrong with them - like maybe they've been sitting in a warehouse for years. I bought them from an online store, and it's the last time I'll use that supplier. :mad:

My excitement this week was I broke a guitar string. :cool: Actually, I ordered three sets of strings a couple of weeks ago (Elixirs), and in less than 3 weeks time I have broken 4 strings (2 G's and 2 D's). I don't usually break strings that often, and 4 of them in 3 weeks is unheard of. Essentially I feel like I really only got use of 1 set - and at $39, that's an awfully expensive set of strings. :(

I'm really suspicious that there was something wrong with them - like maybe they've been sitting in a warehouse for years. I bought them from an online store, and it's the last time I'll use that supplier. :mad:
Funny you should mention this,there's been much heated debate on the whole Elixer thing....

https://homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=261206

I personally don't care for them.I buy D'addarios in ten packs for less than you pay for three sets.
Breaking wound strings is almost unheard of in my book.Unless you have a problem with your nut it sounds like your're getting seconds.If the strings are properly sealed I don't see why they shouldn't last indefinitely.OTOH,I don't see how a company could release packaged seconds of a product that boasts longevity.They'd be better off destroying them or repackaging them.
Funny thing after years and years of changing strings I finally had a defective string that broke on the ball end and had to go buy a single string at the store.

How you manage to stay on the ladder?
When you get a substantial shock the hard part is letting go,your muscles literally lock up.I've gotten quite a few over the years,mostly from welding,all of them unpleasant.:(

Funny you should mention this,there's been much heated debate on the whole Elixer thing....

https://homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=261206
I used to play a Guild 12-string, and I used nothing but D'addarios on it. Nothing else sounded anywhere near.

However, on my Taylor, the Elixirs sound the best of what I've tried so far. I've tried D'addarios and several others, but the Elixirs keep winning.

I'd like to see if I can find a non-coated set that sound just as good, but I hate to experiment and end up with strings I don't like. With the Elixirs, I already know I like them (except when I break 4 strings in 3 weeks).

BTW, when I do break a string, 9 times out of 10 it will be the G. Can't give you a reason for that. :confused:

Strings This is a really interesting topic. I had been disappointed for years with the sound I got from my Epiphone Gibson LP Custom where I had standardised on Elixers and Rotosound but had figured that this was the way it was - maybe a real Gibson LP would be better.

And then one day, when I had broke my last E sting on my Elixers, I looked in the back of my cupboard and saw a multi-pack of D'Daddario's that my eldest daughter had bought me for Christmas some years ago and so fitted them with no enthusiasm.

Well bugger me - the guitar was transformed - this was THE sound I had been searching for - absolutely tremendous:eek: The difference in sound was incredible - the Blues style was transformed and rock was more cutting with C&W much more "twangy" and credible.

I will never change now from these on my electrics; but I still prefer Elixers on my acoustics.

My daughters pro backing guitarist uses Elixers on his Taylors and Martins and Rotosound on his Fenders but at least two sizes up from my preference - I'm afraid I am such an infrequent user, I can't use more than 0.10 on electrics and 0.12 on acoustics. He starts off at 0.12 on electrics and 0.14 on acoustics - cuts my woosy office finger tips to pieces:rolleyes:

I have spent a lot of time over the past year perfecting tones on my POD XT and have some killer tones - especially Blues tones and I have to say how impressed I am with this piece of kit - fantastic, but as ever, you have to really put the effort and time into sculpting the sound you want otherwise you are always going to be disappointed.

When I used to ride horses a lot, I learnt that I don't have very still hands or fingers and so when I use an electric guitar, I need to gate a lot of noisy fingers out and that has made a big difference to the sound I now get.

One of these day, who knows, I may even record something :rolleyes: :eek:

When you get a substantial shock the hard part is letting go,your muscles literally lock up.I've gotten quite a few over the years,mostly from welding,all of them unpleasant.:(

Getting shocks from your work is unacceptable; does your company have a near miss reporting system and a training program in place?

One day, when a real accident occurs, the boys who run your outfit are going to get sued to hell and back if they can't show an audit trail that mitigates their culpability.

Welding shock are particularly unpleasant because it uses DC current and therefore, more lethal than AC. Same as most overhead cranes.

I know, I have been there and got the T shirts. Which is why I prefer working in management now :) Biggest risk I now face is falling off bar stools; death by over gorging on rich food and travel risks.:)

Getting shocks from your work is unacceptable; does your company have a near miss reporting system and a training program in place?

.:)
I'm sorry Paul,but I just don't get English humor.:rolleyes:

I'd like to see if I can find a non-coated set that sound just as good, but I hate to experiment and end up with strings I don't like. With the Elixirs, I already know I like them (except when I break 4 strings in 3 weeks).

BTW, when I do break a string, 9 times out of 10 it will be the G. Can't give you a reason for that.
It sounds like you need to lubricate your nut or it's not cut properly.

I only ever break strings when the set has ran it's course.I don't go crazy with the bends but I have done two whole step bends on acoustic without breaking the strings.I actually break more electric strings than acoustic.

I may give the Elixers another shot,it's been a long time and I'm not even sure if I've had them on my current guitar.
The string I miss is the Dean Markley brass,I think they've been discontinued.

I'm sorry Paul,but I just don't get English humor.:rolleyes:

It sounds like you need to lubricate your nut or it's not cut properly.

I only ever break strings when the set has ran it's course.I don't go crazy with the bends but I have done two whole step bends on acoustic without breaking the strings.I actually break more electric strings than acoustic.

I may give the Elixers another shot,it's been a long time and I'm not even sure if I've had them on my current guitar.
The string I miss is the Dean Markley brass,I think they've been discontinued.

I bend all the time, up 2 -3 semi-tones and rarely break a string and then its only because the strings are old or I have hit the strings particularly hard with my pick.

It's an Aussie thing,right?:confused:

Grrrrrr
75 inland,60 lakeside.:mad:
I know,I go through this every year.

LATER!!!!!

Toulouse is very pleasant, although I am suffering from too much wine, rich food and a couple of large Cognacs last night:cool:

Not shabby. :)

I never particularly cared for the Armangacs I've had... but then I've never one from 1958. :eek:

Armagnac is a joke perpetuated by the French on the rest of mankind :eek: And why on earth would anyone want to drink Green Chartreuse?:confused:

Anyway, back in the land of the living for two days and then off to Lake Como for a week of much deserved r&r. Sleeping, resting, walking, sightseeing, eating, drinking and chilling out;)

So, same old same old :D

Booze
Sorry I can't compete with your fancy schmancy liquor,but in Wisconsin it's all about quantity and consistency,meaning drinking a lot all of the time.:D
We lead the nation in drunken driving,binge drinking and just about any other undesirable alcohol related statistic.

Political correctness has robbed us of the drinking related HR celebration of Bernie Brewer sliding into a mug of beer,I see how much of a difference it's made about our attitudes toward drinking.:rolleyes:

LATER!!!!

Back