The Celebrity Obituary Thread

Guitar picks? I looked up Sweetwater and then grabbed the ones I always use and I'll be damn....Jim Dunlop is what Ive always used too. Gray nylon... .6 or .75.

Made it big off $600 and guitar picks.

...Jim Dunlop is what Ive always used too.

Pretty much same here the last 20 years. I've got enough picks in various types/sizes to open a small shop.
I went through a period of trying different ones out, but also wanting to have an assortment in the studio for any need...so I have Clayton, Dunlop, Fender, etc.
The one's that I've actually been using the most for a lot of years now are all Jim Dunlop picks...went from the standard size .75 Tortex III to where now I use the smaller/thicker Jazz III reds.

I pretty much always used JDs on electric (Ultex .73 these rare days), but Fender Heavy picks were my standard on acoustic until just recently. I'm a Primetone (514) believer these days.

Really amazing what an impact on just about everyone's playing he and his company became.

Ive been reading wiki and other articles on it. And the MXR story split off from Dunlop, and the MXR founders one started ART and the others ALESIS.
I probably had several of the pedals in the day never had the internet to read about the designers and all that.

Dunlop must have been a busy dude. Somehow he kept the biz going a long time...which is rare.

Mashall Brodien Dead at 84. Played Wizzo on Bozo Circus and had a bunch of magic sets out in the 70's. "It's easy, once you know the secret."

Can't even think about what R&R would have sounded like if someone else had been sitting in that spot. He probably shaped more drummers than can be imagined.

I agree Wow! what a list of tunes and the years. Interesting note in history as they came in rebels and eventually were replaced by new rebels at Monterrey Pop era, as the times change.... I cant imagine the pressures of those large live recordings, so much cost and quantity of people ...and one small screw up and its a retake, no Reaper with unlimited tracks available back then.

I think Hal Blaine's and the wrecking crews story is really something everyone should consider when we talk about the purity of the music. The gave the Monkees a bad wrap because they didn't play on their albums. Well neither did the Beach Boys and whole host of others. Those session guys were really the ones who made the great music.

Also thinking of the guys in Muscle Shoals, great musicians. But this really should a topic for another thread. But Hal Blaine really did shape contemporary music more than the ones most people have heard of (Eric Clapton, Jimi Hendrix, The Doors, etc.) A real legacy he left.

I saw someone mention it on another site...but they weren't 100% sure he died.

Funny...I just now for the first time really took notice that besides being a lefty player...he played with the strings "upside down", simply flipping a righty guitar and not restringing it.

Up to now, I thought Doyle Bramhall II was the only player to do that, play lefty w/strings upside down, but now I see Dale was way ahead with that approach.

RIP...surf's up.

Funny...I just now for the first time really took notice that besides being a lefty player...he played with the strings "upside down", simply flipping a righty guitar and not restringing it.

Up to now, I thought Doyle Bramhall II was the only player to do that, play lefty w/strings upside down, but now I see Dale was way ahead with that approach.

RIP...surf's up.

I have a friend who plays that way as well. There's a handful of artists who do the same.

I have a signed Dick Dale T-shirt hanging in my basement, I saw him twice at a local club.

RIP...surf's up.
Didn’t Hendrix play that way too?

Back