Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Billie Eilish

Thanks

Billie Eilish

Sign in to disable this ad
    OK, so start reading about this Billie Eilish. I start to become rather intrigued. Long story short, her and her brother do this out of their bedroom. I mean, ???

Finneas on Producing Billie Eilish’s Hit Album in his Bedroom
    DM60 Tunes: The Collection

Thanks
    My son has been into Billie for coming up for a year. I'm not really a liker of her music {more of a Clairo guy} but her and her brother are kind of taking the net by storm and it's translating to real people and real gigs. They make a big deal of being literal bedroom composers/producers but I like that aspect of them. Despite the brother's perceived geekiness, they are among the foremost current poster children for the recording power inherent in micro-technology.
    If all this stuff had been around in the same way 40 years ago, I wonder how many of us would have embraced it in the same way. I suspect loads.

Thanks
    I still think the Internet liberated the music. Yes, there are lots of bad music, but there are also loads of good music. Just take this place, I have heard some really good songs and mixes.

I just thougth it was interesting. I am rather surprised no one else brought it up. Seemed like the poster kids for this board.

Thanks
    Billie Eilish is depressing and uninspiring. She makes me feel like stepping in front of a fast moving commuter train.

I'd rather listen to something fun and upbeat like this...

Cats land on their feet. Toast lands jellyside down.

A cat glued to some jelly toast will hover in quantum indecision.

Thanks
    Just for the record...don't buy into that "made in the bedroom" stuff, or that they got to where they are all thanks to their Soudcloud postings.

He already had industry connections through other channels, and then brought his sister to big-time industry management...and then they mapped out a marketing strategy for her, all with two managers, publicist, hair stylist...etc...etc.
    Without that, without the corporate machine behind them...they are no different that the thousands of other talented people with music on Soundcloud and other outlets that have some kind of following.

Also...the music was profeffsionally mixed and mastered.

I say again, they are just as talented as thousands of others on the internet....but that said, I find her music style annoying, the whole whispering thing, not to mention that whole "channeling Linda Blair" thing she does in most of her videos....the "I need an exorcism" imagery.
    I mean...if it was a couple of songs, where that style was used to highlight them...but not song after song....but that's her thing, and it's being made into some new "sound".
    Kinda like when the Hip-Hop/Rap/R&B artists started adding that annoying vocal autotune "chirp" to every song...it just got annoying to listen to...but it was the new thing, so everyone copied it.
    I'm sure "whisper singing" will be the new craze now...though TBH, it's noting new, it was just never made such a big deal about....but then, that's what happens when the corporate machine latches on to something....they will market it until they drain every once of life out of it.

I think she actually has a decent voice, nothing outstanding...but I guess this is how she wants to use it. I do find much of her music to be coming from some depressed, and even dark place. Most of it expresses some kind of upset for her. It's interesting that is what her teen fans are connecting with.

Thanks
    Well, yes there is still a lot of "street work" that is required, and that really wasn't the point. I haven't even listened to the music.

The post was meant as encouragement of home recording. For example, on one of their songs they used Logic, had some Yamaha monitors and an AT2020, some low end keyboard controller. That is what, $1000 bucks plus the cost of a computer? I mean it is a low end with some learning on how it all works.

I still think it is inspiring to all of the bedroom dreamers.

I do agree, you are going to be found by posting on SoundCloud and wait. Lot more to it, but it can be done.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DM60 View Post
    For example, on one of their songs they used Logic, had some Yamaha monitors and an AT2020, some low end keyboard controller. That is what, $1000 bucks plus the cost of a computer? I mean it is a low end with some learning on how it all works.

But see...that's really not relative.
    You could say that every big artist at one time used some low-budget instrument and/or emerged out of some bedroom or garage.

The dream was/is always there for every young artist...but the real point was always, and still is, that without the corporate machine getting behind you, you're not going to get to any high level in the music biz...so the Internet and the inexpensive mics have not really changed that.

I'm not trying to rain on any parades here...just stating the obvious.

Yes...the internet and the inexpensive gear have given more people the opportunity to create and to kinda "self-distribute"...but then, that's also the problem...because there are tens of thousands talented people now trying to catch that same corporate ring on the music biz merry-go-round....so the competition is 50-fold greater than it ever was...but everyone can still dream.

Thanks
    There's a great video on their recording setup on YouTube under Spaces

Thanks
    Yeah this time it was recorded with a $80 AT2020 mic and the SPACES video and other interviews layout how this Grammy Sweep recording was actually done in a bedroom.

MPK Mini.....AT2020..... some of the tools, shes the first Millenial to score this big in the biz.

Wikipedia mentions how it snowballed from a song on Soundcloud to Spoitfy....etc....

the videos and marketing came later but watching the live shows packed and energetic youth, music not intended for old men most likely...but still an interesting story.

Carpool ..with Billie is also interesting watch, in addition to the SPACES with Finneas video.

My sons band records but in solo mode he was using the fruityloops stuff more like this Elctro-Pop Rap whatever it is music and it sounds commercial out of the bedroom.....

no one needs a Capitol Record Studio with $30,000 microphones for this type music. and lets not take away from their arrangement skills and plugin/ DAW skills etc...

AT 2020 mics will probably become popular with this age group, at least until the next big thing....

if it's not happening in the room, it ain't gonna happen on tape.-H.Gerst

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DM60 View Post
    Well, yes there is still a lot of "street work" that is required, and that really wasn't the point. I haven't even listened to the music.

The post was meant as encouragement of home recording. For example, on one of their songs they used Logic, had some Yamaha monitors and an AT2020, some low end keyboard controller. That is what, $1000 bucks plus the cost of a computer? I mean it is a low end with some learning on how it all works.

I do agree, you are going to be found by posting on SoundCloud and wait. Lot more to it, but it can be done.
    I agree thats what got me interested in the story (following the Grammy press).

Its refreshing and new, and of course, dont you think the youthful energy comes through too?

In one interview Finneas has said hes upgraded with a Neuman 103 too now, but the early first hit Ocean Eyes was the $80 AT2020, the MPK Mini is dirt cheap running Midi on the Grammy winning Album (is it an album? streaming album?) , my son has one.

The bedroom works for this kind of music, but its humbling how great it sounds fresh out of the bedroom, its like finished and so much better sounding than the regular stuff with garage guitar drum band stuff, that requires so much work in comparison. I dont really understand it, but its pretty wild.

Im waiting for a McCartney & Billie song soon because old Paul seems to want to be included with everything big....lol
    Last edited by CoolCat; 02-07-2020 at 15:52.

if it's not happening in the room, it ain't gonna happen on tape.-H.Gerst

Thread Information