Hosting my first open mikes in April

This should be fun for you. Maybe discover new talent or could be same old boring stuff. Have a ride home, the alcohol might be the only saving feature of the night ;)

Yeah, it went very well. House soundman didn't show up, so I just unplugged the feed to the mains and plugged in the cables from my mixer. One of the mains had its powr cord plugged into a breaker box inside the cabinet that holds the crossovers for the subs and the amps for the house monitors, but I was able to get into it and just plug it into the wall. Didnt' need the subs anyway, good house speakers.
11 players showed up, less than I expected, as there were a bunch of late cancellations, but many brought friends/damily, so the bar did well. Everyone who wanted to had a send chance to do 2 more songs (3 the first time), I started out with 5 and ended with 5 quick ones. No real 'clunker' players, just a couple of beginners who at least had decent voices.
Doing it all again in 2 weeks, and if it plays out, will become a twice-a-month regular thing.

2nd 'try-out' OM this Wednesday. Hoping there is a decent draw, I could use a regular paying gig!

Last edited:
SUCCESS! 16 players/bands last night, plus 2 guys who came late but couldn't wait around to play. It's on the monthly schedule for 2nd & 4th Wednesdays. :D

Last edited:
So I turn on my 'puter at home last night after 8pm to find messages telling me that my next open mic which is supposed to be NEXT WEEK is scheduled for tonight! WTF? Finally got ahold of the bartender and she f*cked up the calendar. I warned her there won't be a turnout anywhere near the last one because I had not evcen started advertising the thing. I expect half a dozen performers to show up, (know 4 for sure at this point). But there I am last night prepping everything, including the new LED stage lights, opening up the Radial guitar preamp/DI I just bought (haven't even tried it!) Got a new Sennheiser vocal mic in transit to me too, it might arrive today. :rolleyes:

Don't you hate when that happens. :p

Yeah, because I'm a f*cking control freak and planner! :D
Good thing is my networking for the last 2 years paid off and 9 players showed up last night, despite the short notice. I started wiht a 45 minute set before the first sign-ups were ready, but it all worked out. Now this will be an 'every other Wednesday' event so there should not be any more calendar f*ckups and I'll get an extra event every 3rd month, assuming it lasts.

Henry - unless I'm bringing a crowd in, they can't afford to pay me for a solo show. :rolleyes: That's what the OM does - brings in players plus some friends/family plus keeps the regular barflies entertained.
Auditioning another guitarist tomorrow night.

Open Mic #4 tonight. Haven't seen a huge response on FB from people coming, but hoping there will be a decent turnout, or this 'new' OM might only last for another few weeks.

These things like any gig have ups and downs, if you can convince the venue to hang in, a regular open mic tends to become an institution after a while being the crowds and performers regular night out. We have one near me that has been running on Monday nights for over 30 years, even though the venue has changed name and changed management.

Alan.

If you do enough costume changes you'll make through the whole night all by yourself. :thumbs up:

I forgot the costumes! Also forgot my usual guitar picks, but had 1 spare in my Taylor case, along with some crappy old rounded-off ones in a pickholder.

11 players/duos showed up, so it was all good. Except for the 'comedian'. He emailed me during the day to ask if comics were allowed, didn't wait for my after-work email response, instead called the bar and the day bartender must have told him it was ok. :rolleyes: Guy with an attitude and not funny at all. I let him go on 4th, and he cut himself off early (maybe he realized he wasn't getting any laughs) and he later told people he was going to complain to the manager about my 'rudeness'.
The only thing the manager is concerned with is the register take, and it was good last night!

An open mic comedian...ouch!

Hey ladies and germs...
Did you ever notice...
Women, amirite?

An open mic comedian...ouch!

Hey ladies and germs...
Did you ever notice...
Women, amirite?

One of the funniest opening lines I have heard was' "Good evening ladies and genitals", the funny thing was it was a singer in a band and not even a comedian.

Alan.

Back