How bad was/is your GAS?!

How bad was your GAS??

• Obscene! ~ Pawned Grandma's silverware

Votes: 2 12.5%
  • Really Bad! ~ Ate ramen for a month to pay for a stinkin preamp!

Votes: 3 18.8%
  • Bad! ~ Quit playing/writing/recording until you got that one thing!

• Not so bad... ~ Just really want nice stuff!

• Not at all! ~ Immune to gear temptations (Yeah right!)

Votes: 5 31.3%

• Total voters

lastdays

Gear Acquisition Syndrome has bit the best of us. Share your story, maybe we can learn not to fall into the same pit!

I buy outdated gear on Ebay for cheap. I trust electronics that were made in Japan in the 80s. (The fact that the shit still works 25 to 30 years later says it all.) Chinese electronics from 2010? Not so much.

Im not that bad...I have the understanding that I might leave the country at any point so Im not shipping much back, plus I have a love of cheap gear and getting good results out of it (story of my life)

still seemed to have acquired a shitload though lol

I quit playing and recording for a while until I got my keyboard and some other gear (maxed out a GC credit line!) Then slowed down for a few months when I found that my sound could be so much better with that "special" super-expensive preamp! Believe it or not, it was a forum just like this one that helped me realize what was holding me back was ME, not my interface!

sam
(lastdays)

I quit playing and recording for a while until I got my keyboard and some other gear (maxed out a GC credit line!) Then slowed down for a few months when I found that my sound could be so much better with that "special" super-expensive preamp! Believe it or not, it was a forum just like this one that helped me realize what was holding me back was ME, not my interface!

sam
(lastdays)

you are not alone...Ive heard others say almost the same

I buy something every month..whether software or an instrument but most of it comes from cash from my last motorbike I sold..I still have a few grand left but still stick to my one a month thing...gives you time to learn it too..

I have to stop myself from recording stuff...its like crack to me at the moment..I think this will be the first week I havent stuck a track up in months

funny thing is I record a load of guitar stuff, I have 2 acoustics, 2 basses, 3 electrics and a hollowbody, but Id never post it here...guitar players are the worst..forever seeking out that bloody elusive tone or perfect mic position..I couldnt be arsed and dont want to listen to endless, "its too fizzy, you bottom ends missing, try placing the mic towards the cone" etc etc..I just stick synth stuff up..whats anyone gonna say.."a JXP3 bass would sound better with that oberheim pad"??? unlikely :D

:laughings: @ kcearl

Ironically, although I don't play guitar anymore, I still fuck around with guitar pedals on my synths trying to get the perfect tone. :laughings:

Although I've just bought an expensive microphone, generaly I'm not too interested in gear. I just want sufficient stuff of good quality so I can do what I want to do. I have no intention of ever buying another microphone in my life, unlike some maniacs who collect hundreds of mics!

I have no intention of ever buying another microphone in my life
Wow, that is a bold statement.

@kcearl, "electric" musician my behind, you are just too much of a perfectionist to release your guitar tracking to the general public ;)

(perfectionist only with guitars I am guessing) :rolleyes:

Although I've just bought an expensive microphone, generaly I'm not too interested in gear. I just want sufficient stuff of good quality so I can do what I want to do. I have no intention of ever buying another microphone in my life, unlike some maniacs who collect hundreds of mics!

Well don't hold us in suspense any longer Timx3 .... WHAT DID YOU PURCHASE.

:cool:

Oh, also I spend money on instruments. I just got a blower for my organ for Christmas :)

Recording is a waste, accept that fact or it will destroy you . . .

To increase my sexual power.

That would explain the total amount of your offspring.

Oh, also I spend money on instruments. I just got a blower for my organ for Christmas :)

Recording is a waste, accept that fact or it will destroy you . . .

What make organ?

And yes recording will be the down fall of all.
I realized that within that thread when you stated that it was a fools errand and there was a little banter back and forth but nothing much beyond the evident facts.

:cool:

And once again today I was at the ballet and thinking how crap the PA is compared to the Virginia Symphony when they play the same hall. This was kid's ballet, so it's not like they can hire an orchestra, but I never really liked seeing the Wash. Ballet if they didn't have a live orchestra--even in a pit, it sounds 400% better than any PA.

The organ is an amalgam of ranks I have bought off eBay, ranging from 50 to 90 years old. I don't think the makers are known; a serious organ dude would probably be able to figure them out, but I'm just a piker assembling castoff parts without much knowledge. Fun though, at least if I ever finish it :o

Back