Barking Dogs

Dog gone dogs! I love em and I hate em!
Truly barking dogs are just doing what they naturally feel they need to do.
As noted previously in this thread by Rob it is not the dogs fault, it's the ignorant dog owners fault for not properly training them how to properly behave.
We get dogs for companionship and also as part of the home protection plan so we do want them to bark when a bad guy is coming into the house and hopefully chew off their face too!
Behavior modification...That's the ticket. But getting your neighbors to recognize they are being apathetic sympathetic assholes by not expending the time, money and energy to get their mutts trained is challenging.

Currently the house to the left and right of me are dogless...at last some peace...The folks my house back up to have some little yappers but they are kept in the house at night and during the day only bark if I am out in the backyard doing something. If I yell at them enough they sometimes stop...sometimes they don't.

I think if I ever run into this situation again and get a neighbor that won't do something about it I might get a little creative and set up a nice speaker system pointing towards them with a recording of a cat yowling and then crank it up to 10 and have it noise activated...when the dogs bark...the cat will yeowl LOUD...might be fun :laughings:

I have owned a few dogs, when I said quiet or stop, they stopped barking. You CAN train dogs if you take the time.

I have two dogs next door. When I go out to the garage, if Cooper is outside, he's start barking at me. I tell him to wait, go inside and get a dog treat. When I come back out he'll sit there and wait until I tell him to come. He'll tear around the deck, down the steps and around the house to the fence, where he'll sit quietly until I give him the treat.

He's my buddy!

His "brother" King is just figuring out that if he follows Cooper to the fence, he'll get a treat too. But he's pretty much quiet.

Funny you should mention.

"They dogs, they bark", all 14 of them. :facepalm:

Neighbor's kennel, setup approx 14 feet from my property line. Bark at anything that moves, and anything that doesn't move, apparently. After months of the madness, finally managed to get animal control out here, cited, "Lack of control of a companion animal". Court date Jan. 29. Had the option of going before a magistrate and convincing to file charges, or, if an animal control officer witnesses the county may charge. Sort of kind of tricked them into visiting the property, but it'll basically be me going up against a long culture of keeping dogs to run deer. Clear cut it would seem, "annoying and molesting passers by not located on the property where the dogs are located", or some such wording, but at that im thinking my chances are iffy, less than 50% chance. As luck would have it an outside consulting company took a look at the laws which haven't been revisited since '92 and kennels w/ 5 or more dogs must be 50' from property lines, but that will be for new kennels from date of passage of new ordinance forward. Neighbors property is approx 50', a narrow sliver of a property, so it would be a no go, an ordinance violation. But they'll be grandfathered. Seems my only option in the long run is having the kennel declared a nuisance by the county. "Lack of control.." violation would be a good start. It's madness. Barking all hours of the day and night, for hours at a time(noise ordinance which I have yet to manage on account it takes the county over an hour to get out here. By the time I've reached my peak and the hour it takes for the sheriff's office to arrive as luck would have it the dogs are barked out and quiet as a mouse). Dogs have become territorial of the open space behind my house and bark at anyone who ventures out there(Lack of control of a companion animal applies, handled not by the sheriff's office but animal control).

It's been a real heartbreaker, peaceful property the wife and I purchased '22, and loved. Neighbor started collecting dogs, 2, then 4, now 14. Much of the time dogs and the accompanied noise have become a dominant feature. It has been difficult to keep my shit together. It is infuriating to hear my wife go into the open space behind my home, my backyard, and 14 dogs go into a frenzy.

Jan 29, perhaps a start to a remedy to regain enjoyment and use of my property.

Court date Jan 29. Wish us luck, I have a feeling we're going to need it.
Damn man that sucks...I'm dubious about the grandfathered in thing on the kennel. Be sure to get some audio video short and sweet to illustrate the extent of the problem.
That Bubba boy tells you don't worry about what goes on on his property sets off a lots of alarms. Meth head? 14 dogs in a kennel is a problem....8' fence is nice...Block wall?
Feel for you brother. The wife and I have been there with a neighbor you literally want to be as far away from as possible. We got lucky and they moved after about 5 years of dirty looks and barking dogs. Right now we're in Nirvana on the north and south sides of the shack ...No dogs and on both sides, super cool folks we can talk to and have a pleasant conversation with.

Good luck on the 29th!

Damn man that sucks...I'm dubious about the grandfathered in thing on the kennel. Be sure to get some audio video short and sweet to illustrate the extent of the problem.
That Bubba boy tells you don't worry about what goes on on his property sets off a lots of alarms. Meth head? 14 dogs in a kennel is a problem....8' fence is nice...Block wall?
Feel for you brother. The wife and I have been there with a neighbor you literally want to be as far away from as possible. We got lucky and they moved after about 5 years of dirty looks and barking dogs. Right now we're in Nirvana on the north and south sides of the shack ...No dogs and on both sides, super cool folks we can talk to and have a pleasant conversation with.

Good luck on the 29th!

Thanks, brother.

Nah, it's nothing like that, meth. Just inconsiderate, deer hunter, wants those dogs to run deer. Figures out in the county anything goes, I should shut up and live with it. There's a long history and tradition of running dogs, a tradition the county govt, sheriff's office, animal control are reluctant to take sides. They would be taking sides against their friends, their relatives, the constituency. They know it's messed up, but they're going to go out on a limb and make enemies for little ol' me? They don't want to get involved, even in enforcing ordinances already on the books. It's crooked, really. I feel vindicated with a new look at ordinances and the proposal to pass an ordinance which would make what's going on here illegal. I'm not being unreasonable, city boy disrespecting culture and tradition. Problem that kennel will be grandfathered. I mean, I get it, they pass a new law and folks have to get rid of their dogs, fill up animal shelters? That wouldn't seem right, would it. One thing I would say to that, other than fuck 'em. These animals are not beloved pets. They're working animals, tools. They receive very, very little human contact, no socialization. They are locked 2 per roughly 10x6 cage, 24 hrs a day, 365 days a year. Basically, confined, but wild dogs. Seems kind of cruel to me, but what do I know, city boy.

I'm surrounded by four neighbors who own one to three dogs each. The barking is incessant. My town used to have a "barking dog" nuisance ordinance. But no more.

I'm considering purchasing a couple of silent dog whistles and hose them up to fish tank air pumps 24/7 outside.

Will it work?

No. It may even make the barking worse.

Thanks, brother.

Problem that kennel will be grandfathered. I mean, I get it, they pass a new law and folks have to get rid of their dogs, fill up animal shelters? That wouldn't seem right, would it.
No, that would not be a great thing though it sounds like the dogs are not living great lives as is. That said I can agree with grandfather the dogs that are there now. But no new dogs should be allowed to replace the ones that expire. That's fair and equitable right? I get that you are the unicorn and these "old boys" get what you don't get. Clearly the area is evolving if they are instituting these new ordinances...the devil is the details and if I was you I'd make sure the powers that be have this no new replacement dogs added to the new ordinance...you can keep what you have but as they expire you are held to the new rules.

Hey Mick - some clarification please.
You moved in in '22. After that the dogs started arriving? How old is the 50' ordinance?
One thing I can tell you is yer neighbor is an asshole. Running deer, eh? Very sporting... Be careful around this guy.

Good luck on the 29th!
One of my neighbors kept his "hunting" dog in a kennel in the wood back behind his house. He would bark all day. A bear came along, tore open his cage for his food, mauled the dog. A week later the dog is back out there in a "stronger" cage, barking all day and night. That was one of the neighbors that induced me to sell the property and moved. The other neighbor had the pit bull who was kept on a chain outside all the time in all weather. He would lay in the shared driveway moaning and barking all day.
I wasn't about to confront two gun toting southerners as a yankee or call the police. I could have broken out the PA and cranked it with feedback but that wouldn't be fair to anyone else around.

Hey Mick - some clarification please.
You moved in in '22. After that the dogs started arriving? How old is the 50' ordinance?
One thing I can tell you is yer neighbor is an asshole. Running deer, eh? Very sporting... Be careful around this guy.

No, those dogs were not here when we purchased the property, nice and peaceful, for about a year. In fact he didn't live with the girl at the time. Researching real estate law as it pertains to attempts at something being declared a nuisance, it's not a good look to move into a situation and whine about changing things. I have that going for me.

It's been like the twilight zone dealing with the county to do something. The stories I could tell you. Just enforce the damn laws/ordinances, noise ordinance handled by the sheriff's office, lack of control of a companion animal, which applies to barking at passers by not located on the dogs property, handled by animal control. The threshold which will be required proven on my court date, "unreasonable". I mean, we're talking 14 dogs in a kennel overlooking the open space behind my home. Territorial barking, a frenzy. "Loss of enjoyment and use of property" applies to real estate nuisance law. First priority is the get a conviction for lack of control. One step at a time, it's proven to be not a sprint but a marathon.

The new ordinance requiring kennels with 5 or more dogs to be 50' from the property line in residential zoning has not passed yet. I don't know that their property is even 50' wide, does not appear to be. I was unaware the county had an outside consulting firm look at the laws which haven't been revisited since '91 for potential changes, "modernization". Unaware, I missed the community input sessions. Board of Supervisors vote comes march-april. If approved, a host of new ordinance changes, "what was legal before the changes will still be legal nonconforming", you just can't expand. For instance fence laws will be no fence over 7'. My new 8' fence will be grandfathered, legal nonconforming, but I have one more section I want to add, and if I don't do it before the new ordinance comes into play...it's a no go.

I don't necessarily agree with running deer with dogs, seems lazy and not very sporting to me. However, we do have a lot of deer around here, too many, doesn't hurt to thin the herd. Running dogs/deer has a long history in this country, back to the colonies. By law here in Virginia if the dogs run onto your property hunters have a right to retrieve. I've had em run through here, right up to the house, I don't like it. Could attack me, my family, my dogs. Antiquated bullshit. Some folks are very passionate about the tradition. It's not lost on me i'm bucking that tradition, that passion, those dogs, those guns. But I can't be frightened of that, a man has to stand up for his family and property. My daughter inlaw and 1 year old grandbaby come to visit for a week on occasion, we can't put that baby in a stroller and walk her on my own property, the open space behind my home/backyard because of all that frenzied barking. That shit can't stand, it infuriates me. A couple weeks ago, working on the fence in my side yard, I hear something behind me. I turn and there stands a dog about 12' away, squared off, stone faced, growling. I shew at him to get, remains stoned faced, didnt bat an eyelash, only growled louder. Freaky. I show him a walking stick/staff and he gets. It didn't really occur to me at the time, it was one of his dogs, he put him back in the kennel when he returned home. There's no leash law here, I wonder if he let that dog out on purpose to discourage me from walking my dogs one at a time back there. One way to prevent his dogs from "unreasonably annoying and molesting passers by not located on the dogs property" would be if nobody passes by, if you get what I'm saying. To be clear, I do not allow my dogs to participate in that madness, a bark fest, and they don't.

It's a mess, man. I'm already going long on post content, so I may tell some of the stories of dealing with the county. Backward bullshit.

Last edited:
Here goes...for those who don't care to read it, don't.

After some time of listening to those dogs bark for hours at a time, all hours of the day and night.... echoing all over my property a noise you wouldn't believe...I called the sheriff's office out here, noise ordinance which I had researched. 1st ever call. Pattern, it takes them an hour or more to get out here. I call at 1 am, deputy arrives 2 am. As luck would have it by the time she arrives the dogs after barking off and on all day had barked themselves out. She steps out of the vehicle and with a smart ass challenging look says, "well they're quiet now". Yeah this isn't going to go well in my favor. She says she's retrieved a "decimal meter" from her supervisor's office, but she can't use it, all's quiet. I suggest we walk back there. "I'm not walking on anybody else's property", no, you won't have to. "But they're not barking", they will be. You see id researched the decibel reading, it is to be taken at the property line of the affected property, at the source of the noise. We walk back there, as stated by her in the incident report, "we walk to the property line and thr dogs begin to bark"(incidentally a documented violation of lack of control of a companion animal ordinance). She steps way back from the property line, reading was 77db. Max permitted between 10pm-7am is 52db. We walk back up to the house and she takes another reading from my side yard, shed blocking the direction of noise, not to mention the dogs had quieted as we moved away from the backyard and kennel. As stated in the incident report she wrote, the reading was "only 44". No descriptor for the 77db reading, the low reading was "only 44". She asks if I want her to go talk to the neighbor, of course. Incident report, "neighbor says this has been a long running issue and there's nothing she can do to quiet the dogs". Sounds like an admission of a "lack of control" to me, documented. As far as the deputy, the tone suggests there's nothing she can do, case closed, quit complaining, harassing.

Within a couple of days, maybe 3, we contact the sheriff's office for a copy of the incident report....

We run into reluctance and dismissal about getting a copy of the incident report. We can't have a copy, which is bullshit. Fact is one was never written, on filed, and was likely not to be written and filed had we not requested a copy, which is our right. It's obvious she the deputy had no intention of writing one and was not happy about having to write one. I mean, you take a piece of govt issued equipment to a property, take readings, and are not going to make record of the incident and readings? Through a supervisor which my wife managed to build somewhat of a rapport we were able to get an incident report. Oh, it was a doozy, chocked full of inaccuracies and misrepresentations. Frankly, lies. For instance, get this....

All that frenzied barking, what if those dogs got out? Granted, there's no leash law here, but what if? The guy has/had tarps draped over the cages, looks like a fucking shanty town. Last summer, heat of the summer, the dogs out of frustration or whatever stand on top of the plastic barrels they sleep in and rip the tarps down. Heat of the summer, dogs baking in the sun. He leaves it like that for almost 2 weeks. I say that to say, given that level of care you know damn well those dogs are not vaccinated from rabies, as required by law. You're required to license as well.

Here's the doozy...

In talking with that female deputy that night, I guess I'm naturally a bit long winded, but try to get as much information in a statement as possible,....I say(somewhat rehearsed), "If those dogs through human error or otherwise get out of those cages and are not as required by law licensed, and as a requirement of licensing vaccinated from rabies, and they bite someone on my property, that could be a real problem. Human error happens. Planes fall from the sky as a result of human error."

Yeah, I talk too much. Talk can get twisted, misrepresented. Remember friends, the police are not your friends.

Here it is. She wrote in the incident report, "Mick said, if through an act of nature a plane falls from the sky and hits the dog enclosure the dogs could get out and bite him."

Yeah, she wrote that, on an official government document. Clearly an effort paint me as an irrational nutcase with a meritless complaint. That kind of nutcase, red flag laws, might be a good idea to disarm this guy, take his guns? I might be taking that a bit far, but it's worrisome to be misrepresented like that, lied about.

I sent a registered mail letter to the guy at the sheriff's office who handles commendations, and complaints. Brief, no minutia, just the facts, no mention of lies or planes falling from the sky :facepalm:. He called me on the phone, I missed the call but still have the recording. Frankly the guy didn't seem particularly intelligent, but acknowledged an apparent lack of training issue, he calibrates the decibel meters himself, and apologized for "what I like to call poor customer service". Said he was meeting with the sheriff and others later that day and would mention my letter, the incident. Said he would attempt to call again, or I could call him. However he may be out in the field. After a week no phone call, I call him and leave a brief message thanking him for contacting me. I've yet to hear back from him.

It's madness. But I'm not going to shut up or go away.

Last edited:
Is there any value or usefulness in documenting the hours and duration of the barking with audio/video recording equipment? You know.... making an ongoing, lengthy detailed log with proof, time stamp, perhaps geotagging.... with the right equipment.... I assume you've thought of this. Have you priced your own decibel meter for same purpose?

Thanks for the clarification. Didn't realize the kennel ordinance was in proposal stage. The law may not work very well through the enforcement branch. You may have to take civil action against the town/county for lack of enforcement and/or indifference/incompetence. Whether to go that route may in large part depend on how other residents feel about the local constabulary and government. If everyone is happy with them forget it. If everyone is pissed off get after it. Hell run for mayor/selectman whatever you guys have or find a more tenured local with a good head on his/her shoulders and get after them. The bad old days and ways are fading but often have to be rooted out.

Is there any value or usefulness in documenting the hours and duration of the barking with audio/video recording equipment? You know.... making an ongoing, lengthy detailed log with proof, time stamp, perhaps geotagging.... with the right equipment.... I assume you've thought of this. Have you priced your own decibel meter for same purpose?

I think it's safe to assume the courts are not going to entertain a long duration lengthy presentation of the facts. Particularly small potatoes noise complaint. Personally documenting hours and duration can be fabrication. I absolutely have audio/video recordings, quite a few. In fact I played one for the female deputy, admitting it was not recorded that particular evening/morning. Given her smirk, given the dogs were quiet when she arrived and did not bark until we went back there, the wording of the incident report she wrote, she suspects I am provoking those dogs to bark. Another interesting factoid, she wrote I called E911, emergency number, for a noise complaint. False, I called the non-emergency number. Paranoia is possibly warranted, possible setup for misuse of emergency 911 number? Subsequent calls about the noise and a request to have someone go there, not here to my property, I don't trust them....I have asked if the call is being recorded. Affirmative. "Good", I says. Without any questioning or input from me dispatch has stated they can hear the dogs barking in the background. I make sure of it, always making the call outdoors where the dogs can clearly be heard.

For anyone who is interested: The noise ordinance here is somewhat vague. Such language as "frequent", "long duration", words which are a matter of interpretation. In researching, some jurisdictions in this country have seen a need to change the laws to be more specific, such as continuous barking for 30 minutes of an hour's time, 1 hour cumulative over a 24 hour time period, that sort of thing.

A personal decibel meter? Is it calibrated correctly, etc? It's problematic.

Related to the decibel meter/reading, I have another story! Stay tuned til the end for the bizarre.

The dogs had been raising hell, for hours. All day, really. I hate to do it, I really do, who wants to call the police on your neighbors, invest time and energy making that call, dealing with the crap....but I made the call. I think 4th total, the last since. I specifically request, go there, don't come to my property. Once bitten twice shy. Over an hour and a half later, I get a call apologizing for the delay coming out, it's election night and they've been really busy. You know, really nice, really really nice. "Well what's going on out there, Mr Mick?", tone of voice indicating he really, really cares. Yeah. Once bitten twice shy, I tell him, calm collected, just the facts, not overly talkatve, nothing that could be twisted, or recorded I would regret saying later. He says, get this...."Well Mr Mick, there's been a decibel reading taken there and it didn't exceed the maximum noise level." First, what's going on out there my ass, he sourced that information from somewhere prior to the call. Second, it's false, the reading was 77db, overnight hours max is 52db, which in the fewest words possible I informed him. He seemed a bit surprised. I also stated per the ordinance where the reading was to be taken. "Yeah yeah, I'll be headed out that way shortly, apologize it has taken so long." Mm hm, yeah. Approx an hour later he calls me again saying he is pulling in my driveway, even though I asked they do not come here. Of course as luck would have for the first time all day long the dogs are quiet as a mouse. Crazy, can't win. One of the first things he says, get this, "I was just talking to my supervisor and a decibel reading does not apply to this situation." Full disclosure, I've read the ordinances up and down, and that was my interpretation as well, decibel reading applies to man made sound, loud music, machinery, whatever. What am I going to do, they come here and do a reading and I tell them how to do their job? However, seems odd a decibel reading counts when it dismisses my complaint, but doesn't count when it proves a legit complaint, an ordinance violation. He brings up letter of the law vs spirit of the law, which I don't know where he's going with that. I think I'm somewhat intelligent, reasonably so, I understand the concept. Cop sees a car parked in a handicap spot, doesn't as required by law have handicap plates. Cop starts to write a ticket when he notices a guy on crutches with a broken leg approaching. Cop writes a ticket for no handicap plates(letter of the law), or sees the guy is having a tough time so gives him a break with no ticket(spirit of the law). Anyway, other than that he's really, really understanding. I mean really nice. Too damn nice, I'm not going to let my guard down. He tells me he has to witness the barking and the next time they start he will come sit out there and as soon as they are raising hell he'll go right over there and write an ordinance violation. Whoa, maybe I'm getting somewhere here. Gives me his schedule for the next few days. I just have to call dispatch and request him come out.

I'm liking it. I think? Some of the things he said, though. For instance, "When my dogs get to barking I know someone is out there." Goes to or insinuates I am provoking the dogs to bark when I call? I want to trust this guy, but I do not. Not totally.

Now to the bizarre....

The really, really nice deputy left. I have to wind down a little bit before finally hitting the sack. Sit on the porch, probably write some tl;dr for you guys. Heh. Shortly after he left the dogs start raising hell. I mean raising hell, the kind of bark where there's something back there. I debate, do I call the guy right back out here, will the dogs have calmed down by the time he gets here. I have to be very careful, I can't let this thing turn back on me, false reporting, harassment, whatever. I'm tired, tired of dealing with it for the evening and decide tomorrow is another day. Now with all this going on I have had some concern about, I don't know, retaliation, targeting(no pun intended). I had recently done my first round of gathering leaves and burning in the immediate yard proper, but there are still lots of leaves towards the outer reaches, and somewhat close in some areas. A few nights earlier than the night in question sitting on the porch I heard something out there, the leaves. Could be deer, could be. But it sounded bipedal, two legs, a person maybe. You live out in the country, you can't be scared, I went and investigated, in the dark. Saw nothing. I wasn't sure if I should, wouldn't want to worry her, but I told the wife. We both laughed at my silliness, spooked by a deer. Back to the night in question, those dogs are raising hell, like there's something back there. They're almost bored with the deer, so most likely not deer. I start to hear those leaves again, but quite a bit from the direction of a clump of trees. Sort of side yard beginning of field behind house. Thinking back to me and the wife I kind of chuckle to myself, get spooked by deer. Deputy just left, dogs are raising hell, I'm going to at least get a recording. There's a trail cam sitting on the railing of my side deck, motion activated, all I have to do is go back there and wave a hand to begin recording. I step off the porch and head that way. I didn't get far, over by the shed a clump of trees, lots of leaf noise. Stops me dead in my tracks. Could be a bear? My wife's car is kind of between me and the noise. All of a sudden, WHOOF! I mean deep bark, not a hunting dog. Dark over there. The hair stood up on the back of my neck, fight or flight type thing. But something struck me funny, even in that moment. It sounded fake, sort of. Maybe. Maybe this whole thing, paranoia whether warranted or not, it sounded 50/50 chance either it was in fact a dog, or someone imitating a dog. Intimidate me back onto the porch to not investigate. The wife and I had a good laugh the next day. Yeah.

It all happened on a Tuesday. Called to have the deputy back out to hear the bark fest on Thursday, not on duty. Cold weather set in, dogs have calmed some, leaves off the tree line less echo. Probably trying not to freeze to death back there. Takes sheriff's office an hour to get out here, it's very unpredictable. The stars aren't lining up very well for me. Court date Jan 29, prudent that I prepare myself to be disappointed. Success, what then?

Win or lose, if I catch a bullet at some point, it's been nice knowing you guys.

Back