What is a producer ?

Before everyone and their mother adopted the term “Producer”......

My understanding is the producer was/is the hat worn by the person with the overall vision of the music.
They are the one with the mile high view, the one that could see the big picture.

The “executive producer” is the one that’s paying the bills.

I think it’s a good idea having a producer who’s not a band mate.

Let’s just say you’re an Americana band, but your drummer has a death metal background, it might make for a strange record if he’s being the “producer”.

The producer wears many hats, and might even participate in the process by playing, writing, arranging etc.

Usually he knows people, and can assemble a team of engineers, mixers, pick a studio location.
A good producer knows all the ‘right’ people, and can be a huge part to the success of the project. He knows the ghost player to call to redo the shitty guitar parts while he says to the band “go home for tonight, we’ll fix it in the mix”

His/ her objectiveness can eliminate crap from the recording.

Let’s use this example, and I’ve seen this in real life many times. Think hair metal days.

The guitar player is shacked up with Tiffany, a stripper. She’s paying all the bills and ‘believes’ in the band. She also fancies herself a singer and wants to contribute to the record..... but she’s horrible. The guitar player is beholden to her because she’s literally keeping him alive. Maybe she even bought his Marshall, or has been paying all the rehearsal studio costs.

Guitarist is going to have an awful time not letting her ‘contribute’ . If she gets booted from the project, he could find himself homeless. Or even worse, friction could develop in the band resulting in fistfights....
all over ‘sweet Tiffany’. I’ve seen it.

There’s an old Hollywood joke.....

Q) What do you call a musician without a girlfriend?
A) Homeless

The producer steps in, and for the good of the record, he’s the one dealing with her.
Maybe even lets her do some vocal part that later gets ‘lost’.

A producer is an organizer, a diplomat, sometimes therapist etc.

But overall, the producer has many skills and brings an overall vision to the endeavor. And number one, he gets it done. And on schedule and budget.
A producer is crap and has no worth

Posting while shit-faced again, Smithers?
Definitely an angry drunk.

I’ve posted here plastered before. I think I remembered some times I purposefully posted nonsense about hovering above the toilet seat while shitting, accidentally missing, and shitting on the toilet, sitting back down, and getting shit on my balls. That was fun.

Ted was the Doobies producer

I didn't realize that. I knew of his name back in the day and knew he was a bad ass but really didn't know what bands he had worked with before VH. The light went on of how important that role was when VH's first album was released. Truly up'd the magic of their music dramatically. Kind of like polishing a diamond in the rough.

Last edited:
I was listening to "Thriller", I had never really listened to the song/album. Well, on the big stereo, with some volume, lets just say Quincy Jones.

Surely I would have been world famous, rich and living in my dream home in San Clemente. I can see me now...sitting there out in my Cali garden overlooking the pier and ocean. Surfers surfing, an easel in front of me as I causally paint seascapes sipping on some sweet lemonade every know and then. But Nooooooooo! I picked the wrong producer......Me! :laughings:

Posting while shit-faced again, Smithers?
Ah dont be nasty please, we all have our issues. I apologise, I do think that in general the engineers are better than most producers. Not that I have any engineering ability. Dont gang up on me guys please, I have a rant, but just me banging on 🤪. Yeah I'm a drunk but doesnt make me evil ☹️☹️

Definitely an angry drunk.

I’ve posted here plastered before. I think I remembered some times I purposefully posted nonsense about hovering above the toilet seat while shitting, accidentally missing, and shitting on the toilet, sitting back down, and getting shit on my balls. That was fun.
Thanks, yeah well fair comment and sorry. I am not such a bad person really 😳

Ah dont be nasty please, we all have issues. Yeah I'm a drunk but doesnt make me evil ☹️☹️
No one is saying that you are evil.

You have openly admitted that you pretty much get drunk every night in the midst of posting here at HR. Once upon a time here at HR, there was the SAS forum.

Perhaps it's time that HR Administrators should resurrect the SAS forum or create a similar sub forum where you can let it all out.

You're not evil.

You have openly admitted that you pretty much get drunk every night in the midst of posting here at HR. Once upon a time here at HR, there was the SAS forum.

Perhaps it's time that HR Administrators should resurrect the SAS forum or create a similar sub forum where you can let it all out.

You're not evil.
What is SAS?

You're not evil.
That guy mjbphotos has had a really nasty couple of goes at me. Really smug and nasty and arrogant. I never said a word against him but he trolls me. The sort of guy who hides his own issues and problems by having a go at others to boost his low self esteem. So I make no apologies, I am a drunk and a target but a lot more clever than I come across, I have mjb figured out, he has issues.
End of

Mjb wasn't having a go at you. He was gently trying to get you to calm down and provide something in the thread that amounted to more than a rant.
Not that all rants are misplaced, though. Some of them are actually really insightful.

You're not evil.
I made a couple of silly drunken comments about producers... that should be taken as a stupid comment. I still say engineers have more importance.

Back