What is a producer ?

grimtraveller

If only for a moment.....
Of all the words and terms that have been at large in the history of recorded music, perhaps none has been quite as much used and yet so utterly undefined as that of "the producer."
What does the producer actually do ? What is their function ? How has their role changed over the years ? Has it changed ? When a band/artist asks so and so if they'll "produce" their next single or album, what are they actually asking ? And what about when the band or artist "produces" their own album or single, what are they actually doing or what did they do ? And what about those albums that had multiple producers or even different producers for different songs ? What differentiated what one person did from another ?
And how does this/has this impacted the home recording phenomenon ? Has anyone ever "produced" your home-recorded efforts ? What did they actually do that qualified them for the title of producer ?
Are you a producer ? What does that mean to you ?
Have fun, folks !

Before everyone and their mother adopted the term “Producer”......

My understanding is the producer was/is the hat worn by the person with the overall vision of the music.
They are the one with the mile high view, the one that could see the big picture.

The “executive producer” is the one that’s paying the bills.

I think it’s a good idea having a producer who’s not a band mate.

Let’s just say you’re an Americana band, but your drummer has a death metal background, it might make for a strange record if he’s being the “producer”.

The producer wears many hats, and might even participate in the process by playing, writing, arranging etc.

Usually he knows people, and can assemble a team of engineers, mixers, pick a studio location.
A good producer knows all the ‘right’ people, and can be a huge part to the success of the project. He knows the ghost player to call to redo the shitty guitar parts while he says to the band “go home for tonight, we’ll fix it in the mix”

His/ her objectiveness can eliminate crap from the recording.

Let’s use this example, and I’ve seen this in real life many times. Think hair metal days.

The guitar player is shacked up with Tiffany, a stripper. She’s paying all the bills and ‘believes’ in the band. She also fancies herself a singer and wants to contribute to the record..... but she’s horrible. The guitar player is beholden to her because she’s literally keeping him alive. Maybe she even bought his Marshall, or has been paying all the rehearsal studio costs.

Guitarist is going to have an awful time not letting her ‘contribute’ . If she gets booted from the project, he could find himself homeless. Or even worse, friction could develop in the band resulting in fistfights....
all over ‘sweet Tiffany’. I’ve seen it.

There’s an old Hollywood joke.....

Q) What do you call a musician without a girlfriend?
A) Homeless

The producer steps in, and for the good of the record, he’s the one dealing with her.
Maybe even lets her do some vocal part that later gets ‘lost’.

A producer is an organizer, a diplomat, sometimes therapist etc.

But overall, the producer has many skills and brings an overall vision to the endeavor. And number one, he gets it done. And on schedule and budget.

Last edited:
I like to think that producers are at the top of the hierarchical pyramid, with the artiste either on the level below. The snag is that there are also managers, promoters, agents, and marketing - If you are a well known, long lasting band then the record company are the people calling the tune - and the producer will be their person. The producer guides, maybe pursuades, and often dictates. A producer must have the power to make things happen and change things he or she doesn't like. A manager, could be above the band, or below, as in they work for the band. That kind of management is difficult.

If you are independent, then you could be your own producer, or you could employ somebody to produce you!

The hierarchy is really important because it sets what the roles actually are. Without the contracts, agreements and friendships producer means little - it's the detail that is important. Loads of examples of the roles here - think about Elvis, his manager was in charge. However - lots of managers are powerless when the talent has the real power, and their role is diminished to a very different type of management.

Reactions: TAE
I like to think that producers are at the top of the hierarchical pyramid, with the artiste either on the level below. The snag is that there are also managers, promoters, agents, and marketing - If you are a well known, long lasting band then the record company are the people calling the tune - and the producer will be their person. The producer guides, maybe pursuades, and often dictates. A producer must have the power to make things happen and change things he or she doesn't like. A manager, could be above the band, or below, as in they work for the band. That kind of management is difficult.

If you are independent, then you could be your own producer, or you could employ somebody to produce you!

The hierarchy is really important because it sets what the roles actually are. Without the contracts, agreements and friendships producer means little - it's the detail that is important. Loads of examples of the roles here - think about Elvis, his manager was in charge. However - lots of managers are powerless when the talent has the real power, and their role is diminished to a very different type of management.
I think the engineer is equally important if not more IF the engineer has musician ability as well. I am a great producer and musician but a complete muppet with engineering

This past week on the news program 60 Minutes, they interviewed Rick Rubin. He's a producer, that doesn't turn knobs, doesn't play any instruments. All he does is listen to the music, then tell the artists what they need to do.

The interview is available here: Rick Rubin Interview

• Love
Tend to agree - if an engineer is also a producer - Alan Parsons historically would be a good example here - then the person with the 'product' in his head is very handy as the engineer if they have the skillset. Equally, many engineers have wonderful ability to do things that enhance the track, but do NOT volunteer the info. As in, "Can we make that cymbalk sizzle there?" and the engineer reachs over and does it. Had it not been asked for by the producer, it would not have been volunteered.

Reactions: RFR
It won't play in Kingsbury ! 😭
It's probably one of those copyright issues across borders. There's a lot of UK stuff from the BBC that won't play in the US.

I've thought about getting a VPN just for that issue. You can be anywhere around the world, while still sitting in your recliner!

The interview is available here: Rick Rubin Interview
Nah Rich he's a Reducer :LOL: LOVE IT! What a cool interview thanks for the share...He says ......"I like the the idea of getting the point across with the least amount of information" The dude is a legend in the industry and it is wild that he does not play an instrument...I have watched him move sliders in other videos so that part is not accurate. So funny watching him chill and get the groove / vibe. He's just an hour away from me but I bet he ain't cheap.

Feeling the music the soul of the music all really important because that is a goal not always achieved.

So to the OP question I would answer a Producer is the person driving the bus to get the song to it's destination. Finished. Many ways to get there and each Producer has his own style and methods of how to go about it. If George Martin drove the same way as Rick Rubin we would not have ever heard masterpieces like "A day in the life"

Making music can be a sterile process, a spiritual one or somewhere in between. In the video below this gal express's how when she is alone all by herself she is able to set herself free and be her best. I know what she is talking about but I have also been lucky enough to get to a magical place jamming with my buddy to a cosmic place farther out there than I ever have been by myself.. For me it is a rare thing but when it happens it is magical, spiritual and "telepathic"

Tend to agree - if an engineer is also a producer - Alan Parsons historically would be a good example here - then the person with the 'product' in his head is very handy as the engineer if they have the skillset. Equally, many engineers have wonderful ability to do things that enhance the track, but do NOT volunteer the info. As in, "Can we make that cymbalk sizzle there?" and the engineer reachs over and does it. Had it not been asked for by the producer, it would not have been volunteered.
I have to agree. There are a lot of very skilled engineers that have both great technical and musical ability who have to work for producers who really do not know what they are doing and have got there by nepotism and contacts. Phil Spector was the greatest example of an over rated egotist. McCartney was horrified when he ruined Winding Road. He was snorting and screaming so much that the choir walked out of Abbey Road.

This past week on the news program 60 Minutes, they interviewed Rick Rubin. He's a producer, that doesn't turn knobs, doesn't play any instruments. Rick Rubin Interview
This interview intrigued me because he is such a bad ass "reducer". The interview would leave one like my self (who just don't know his history) to believing that he does not play instruments, doesn't know how to use a mixer or record...just not the case on points based on his wiki.....HERE He's just painting a pretty zen picture of who Rick Rubin is today...His first band was the Pricks and he staged a "police" ( his dad) shutdown at the show. It'd be cool to spend a few weeks or a month or so kibbitzing with him making music but with cats like Adelle and McCartney seeking his time I'm thinkin it's unlikely he'd squeeze me in....

Nah Rich he's a Reducer :LOL: LOVE IT! What a cool interview thanks for the share...He says ......"I like the the idea of getting the point across with the least amount of information" The dude is a legend in the industry and it is wild that he does not play an instrument...I have watched him move sliders in other videos so that part is not accurate. So funny watching him chill and get the groove / vibe. He's just an hour away from me but I bet he ain't cheap.

Feeling the music the soul of the music all really important because that is a goal not always achieved.

So to the OP question I would answer a Producer is the person driving the bus to get the song to it's destination. Finished. Many ways to get there and each Producer has his own style and methods of how to go about it. If George Martin drove the same way as Rick Rubin we would not have ever heard masterpieces like "A day in the life"

Making music can be a sterile process, a spiritual one or somewhere in between. In the video below this gal express's how when she is alone all by herself she is able to set herself free and be her best. I know what she is talking about but I have also been lucky enough to get to a magical place jamming with my buddy to a cosmic place farther out there than I ever have been by myself.. For me it is a rare thing but when it happens it is magical, spiritual and "telepathic"

I met Rick Rubin once, at the Viper Club. Was with a guy who was show casing for him. He is a pretty nice guy.

I can't say how much I appreciate George Martin, took some decent guys from Liverpool and made them great. That is my opinion and yes the Beetles did have something, but unless you know how to best use, present and grow the talent, it is just another good bar band. I think George Martin also taught those guys a lot and helped them expand their talents.

DM, its a bit of a stretch to call the Beatles "some decent guys from Liverpool". From what I've read of the early days, they were quite the sensation as a live band before they hooked up with George Martin. He was given the task to take them from a live act to recording artists. They had already been writing the songs. Epstein was polishing them and guiding them through that period.

Granted that he helped them expand, but the talent was there to start with.

I met Rick Rubin once, at the Viper Club. Was with a guy who was show casing for him. He is a pretty nice guy.

I can't say how much I appreciate George Martin, took some decent guys from Liverpool and made them great. That is my opinion and yes the Beetles did have something, but unless you know how to best use, present and grow the talent, it is just another good bar band. I think George Martin also taught those guys a lot and helped them expand their talents.
100% agree.

I can say from a pretty close perspective...The same can be said about Ted Templeton and Van Halen. They had the goods, they had the songs but the production of those songs on the first Van Halen record raised the bar incredibly from the local San Gabriel Valley rock band I had seen multiple times and played with before they got signed. When their first album was released and I heard it for the first time I just shook my head in amazement thinking how in the heck did they pull this off. Sir Ted was the magic elixir that took that kick ass raw rock n roll, harnessed it, polished and turned it into Gold.

If you really want to know what's the role of a producer is then watch the movie the offer about the making of the godfather

DM, its a bit of a stretch to call the Beatles "some decent guys from Liverpool". From what I've read of the early days, they were quite the sensation as a live band before they hooked up with George Martin. He was given the task to take them from a live act to recording artists. They had already been writing the songs. Epstein was polishing them and guiding them through that period.

Granted that he helped them expand, but the talent was there to start with.
After a year in Hamburg playing everyday and a double matinee on Saturday. They did become very good with their instruments, no doubt. But I have seen a lot of good musicians, but ...

But it is cool, everyone has a different point of view to the same crime.

After a year in Hamburg playing everyday and a double matinee on Saturday. They did become very good with their instruments, no doubt. But I have seen a lot of good musicians, but ...

Producers are crap, they just tell everyone what to do. The engineers are the guys who make it all work. For instance architects design nice buildings then engineers say "oh no it will fall over" xxxx

Paul McCartney is a brilliant musician

100% agree.

I can say from a pretty close perspective...The same can be said about Ted Templeton and Van Halen. They had the goods, they had the songs but the production of those songs on the first Van Halen record raised the bar incredibly from the local San Gabriel Valley rock band I had seen multiple times and played with before they got signed. When their first album was released and I heard it for the first time I just shook my head in amazement thinking how in the heck did they pull this off. Sir Ted was the magic elixir that took that kick ass raw rock n roll, harnessed it, polished and turned it into Gold.
Ted was the Doobies producer

Back