Beg & Steal - alternative indie rock original

andrushkiwt

Hello everyone, recorded an original for the first time in a couple years. This was an older song I wrote about 9 years ago but never recorded properly. Here's my go at it. I'm using the Digitech GNX3000 for the guitars and bass amps/cabs, mixes of Hiwatt and Bassman models as well as Ampeg. Drums are Superior Drummer, the NY Avatar kit, with a CLA76 compressor. Abbey Road plate reverb and Taldub (free) delay. SSL EQ and compressor, Waves limiter, and a J37 tape delay plugin on the master. Vocals have aggressive LA-2A plugin recorded through a sm7b into my Focusrite. The prechorus vocals that are panned are using an 808OD pedal plugin for the distortion and are set to opposite tone models to further give the feeling of being distinct parts.

Let me know any thoughts on the quality of the mix. Thanks!

Last edited:
I'm listening on phone so can't really comment on the mix.
However sounds really good, everything sits well and has space, nothing stood out as bad.
I'm impressed, damn fine job 👍

Listening on my Sennheiser BT headphones, which are slightly bass heavy.

I like the mix. I really like the SD drums (especially the floor tom), and I'm crazy about that feedback.

I was beginning to think you retired to the Virgin Islands or something - welcome back.

I'm listening on phone so can't really comment on the mix.
However sounds really good, everything sits well and has space, nothing stood out as bad.
I'm impressed, damn fine job 👍
good to know about phone speaker sound, i don't check there though i know i should. thank you

Listening on my Sennheiser BT headphones, which are slightly bass heavy.

I like the mix. I really like the SD drums (especially the floor tom), and I'm crazy about that feedback.

I was beginning to think you retired to the Virgin Islands or something - welcome back.
ha! thanks, there is a feedback plugin now! It's called BC Acufiend and has many options for detailing the feedback. There is one artifact that i can't get rid of, perhaps I'll email the developers about it. It's the sound it occasionally gives off at the very end of an instance of feedback, where it drops a few cents instead of ending on the original tone/pitch. I'll listen and see if i can spot it in this track and post back if i catch it in this song

Sounds done to me thru JBL E100 open speakers and AKG K240 cans.
Hmm thru the JBL the mix sounds more compressed than thru the cans, mostly the vox or the effect that is on the vox - but still sounds great

Back