Music I like, what do you like??

Hey CrowsofFritz. How are you my friend.

I see you liked the Nick Drake, Pink Moon. Which brings to mind, you know, there is a resemblance between his vocal and your own. Perhaps if you enjoy that tune it might be one to cover. A bit melancholy, but it's a good little tune. Open tuning. It's been a while, but if memory serves open D? Capo'd to your liking, or not.

Hope all is well.

The first known recording of Hey Joe?

A bit suspicious of that claim.

There's a long history most likely traditional arrangement followed by embellishment of verbatim lyric content lost along the way of that cheatin' woman imma kill my ol' lady. The Leadbelly In the Pines (where'd you sleep last night) being an example. A Bill Monroe version also provided, though decidedly less kill my ol' lady ish. Nirvana carrying on the tradition, a version also provided. There's also this gem. If you have never heard of Skip James, also check out some of his piano tunes on the YouTubes. Incredible. It would appear Canned Heat gave a hat tip to Ol' Skip having somewhat adopted the falsetto/head voice delivery.

I don't know who of you might be interested in this sort of thing, but it's fascinating seeing where some of the music originated. The history. White boys found these guys again and gave them a voice, booking them and showcasing at festivals and the like. Hell, the likes of Led Zeppelin made a fortune off stealing it as their own, or homage if you will, for profit. Sure there are some out there such as Keb Mo, but oddly blacks abandoned the blues. In that way, thank goodness for white boys (and girls).

Gotta one more.

As legend has it, Skip was located in hospital with cancer and hadn't played in some years. He's a little rusty, bit still has it. This one should be in the national archives or something. Yes, I do believe that big man standing and watching is Howling Wolf. You tell me, was Canned Heat influenced vocally by Skip? You think?

I love the shoulder dip. Skip sure was something.

Hey CrowsofFritz. How are you my friend.

I see you liked the Nick Drake, Pink Moon. Which brings to mind, you know, there is a resemblance between his vocal and your own. Perhaps if you enjoy that tune it might be one to cover. A bit melancholy, but it's a good little tune. Open tuning. It's been a while, but if memory serves open D? Capo'd to your liking, or not.

Hope all is well.
Definitely! Got Pink Moon on vinyl. My latest album I strayed a little further from his style. But there are inklings of his style in my own. Another influence of mine is Phil Ochs

I remember watching an hour long PBS broadcast in 1977....."Three Fiddlers"
Itshak Perlman, Jean Luc Ponty, and Doug Kershaw.
Try as I have.....I haven't had been able to find a link to the complete one hour of video.
One by one, they performed individually for 15 minutes.
The nearly final 15 minutes of performing involved the three of them solo playing the violin (fiddle) in each others style.

I've been reading a book about CSN&Y, and how dysfunctional the group was, but my goodness, they made some great music!

An entirely different journey

I went out to the truck one day at lunchtime and put on NPR. They were playing a Mozart piano concerto. It was killer. I never got the name of it. When I looked at all the concertos he had written I kind of gave up looking for it! One can say what they like about composers but there are very few with the amount of work put out, in as short a lifetime as Mozarts. This is not the concerto by the way.

There's a lot of names/bands I haven't seen mentioned... I haven't followed very closely, so if you posted something forgive my missing it.
Anyone ever listen to Dave Meniketti? (Y&T)
Greg Giuffria? (House of Lords/Angel)
Jerry Doucette?
I've seen scarce little southern rock (Allmans/Blackfoot/ARS/Black Oak Arkansas/Molly Hatchet, etc.)
Jethro Tull?
Yes?
The Who?
Fergus and Hugh Marsh? (

But I'll just leave a couple things here with orchestras...

Last edited:
There's a lot of names/bands I haven't seen mentioned... I haven't followed very closely, so if you posted something forgive my missing it.
Anyone ever listen to Dave Meniketti? (Y&T)
Greg Giuffria? (House of Lords/Angel)
Jerry Doucette?
I've seen scarce little southern rock (Allmans/Blackfoot/ARS/Black Oak Arkansas/Molly Hatchet, etc.)
Jethro Tull?
Yes?
The Who?
Fergus and Hugh Marsh? (
Post away!

Back