The New Tone Thread

JDOD,
Here's essentially the same mix with guitars up a dB & rhythm section down a dB.

Hey that's not too bad Ray. I love the feedback just sneaking in at the end of those held chords.

The left rhythm tone is a little fizzy to me, but it's usable for the song and style. In the future maybe watch out for the fizz.

Thanks Greg,
I THINK fizz may be a feature of this amp when is turned up. there are no tone controls on the amp so I may have to adjust in the box but will certainly keep the issue in mind.

Gents, I've just a total re-mix on an earlier song of mine "No Choice" based on various comments on both it and other mixes lately.

Can you take a listen when you get 2:40. Cheers,

Ray, a few days ago you suggested some sans-amp style bass thing that was a copy of a well known one but I can't find the thread where you mentioned it... can you maybe email me a link to it so I won't lose the bloody thing! Cheers,

Here's some fucking around. Just playing around with my shit. This is completely directionless open chords and guitar vol/tone rolling.

Gibson Les Paul Custom
Marshall JCM 800 2203
Presence - 5
Bass - 6
Mid - 4
Treb - 6
Preamp vol - 5
Master vol - 2
Marshall 1960A 4x12 - Celestion G12-65
Shure SM57 on axis, on grill, just outside dustcap
No EQ in DAW, tiny bit of reverb added

Just making noise

Lol. Really? I wouldn't know. Is his shit directionless crap too? :D
Yeah. For playing. But it does have generally good tunes attached to it. :D

When I listened I thought oh shit! "Is Greg breaking ranks and starting to do 'southern rock power ballads' ??
:D :D :D

Southern rock power ballads are my secret guilty pleasure! :D

No, I just like the sound of open chords on a Gibson through a Marshall. It's pretty much impossible to beat that. :guitar:

I really don't know any of his music. Besides that horrid rockin in a free world song, I can't name any of his songs. Maybe something about cinnamon. Or is it peppermint? I don't know.

He did an album with Pearl Jam as his band, you'd love it!

My wife LOVES the Pearl Jam Neil Young Jam album - Mirror Ball. I think it's, well, my wife loves it.

Here's some fucking around. Just playing around with my shit. This is completely directionless open chords and guitar vol/tone rolling.

Gibson Les Paul Custom
Marshall JCM 800 2203
Presence - 5
Bass - 6
Mid - 4
Treb - 6
Preamp vol - 5
Master vol - 2
Marshall 1960A 4x12 - Celestion G12-65
Shure SM57 on axis, on grill, just outside dustcap
No EQ in DAW, tiny bit of reverb added

Just making noise

Does sound good - but it does sound like Neil Young too! Particularly when you chug on a couple of chords just after the 1 minute mark. This is the Neil Young song it reminded me of:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5bVvSBS6R0

It actually sounds quite a lot like The Who live... which isn't surprising considering its a LP into a cranked Marshall.

Greg,
The tones are quite jangly/bitey.
It must've been dangerous in the room for the 1st minute & a half.
I'd love to make those sounds.

Does sound good - but it does sound like Neil Young too! Particularly when you chug on a couple of chords just after the 1 minute mark. This is the Neil Young song it reminded me of:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5bVvSBS6R0
I'm not listening to that!

It actually sounds quite a lot like The Who live... which isn't surprising considering its a LP into a cranked Marshall.
Now that's a comparison I can live with. :D

The Who (Townshend and Entwistle) basically invented the Marshall stack, but they only used them live in the very early days. Most of The Who's recorded and live stuff wasn't done with Marshalls. By the time they hit their massive arena rock status Pete was using Sunn, Sound City, and HiWatt amps. They all sound great to me. I love his sound.

Greg,
The tones are quite jangly/bitey.
It must've been dangerous in the room for the 1st minute & a half.
I'd love to make those sounds.

Thanks Ray. It wasn't crazy stupid loud. Master vol was on 2. For this amp that's piss off the house loud but not quite loud enough to cut through a full on rock band practice.

Lol. I did a boneheaded thing last night......I got home from band practice and unloaded my truck. I always set the cab by the garage, bring the rest of my shit in, and then go around and roll the cab into the garage. This is my "garage cab" that I only use for practices and general fucking around. The good cabs are in the house. First world problems. Anyway, last night for some reason I forgot the cab out in the driveway and it sat there all night. Glad it didn't rain. I walked out this morning to take the trash down to the street and there's a Marshall cab sitting in my driveway. WTF Greg. :facepalm:

I'm glad I live in a good neighborhood with apparently no other guitar players.

Back