Olympics Thread

I've never understood what's supposed to matter more - total medals or gold medals? For me, I think gold medals matter more, but they keep tally like total medals means something. Fuck a bunch of silver and bronze medals. Gold medals go to the winner, and everyone else lost as far as I'm concerned.

I think for the country it is total medals that count. For the individual athlete, it's all about the gold. You'll never hear about a silver or bronze medalist in the news or anything and they'll never get on The Apprentice. They're just kinda in the background noise until they win a gold.

I've never understood what's supposed to matter more - total medals or gold medals? For me, I think gold medals matter more, but they keep tally like total medals means something. Fuck a bunch of silver and bronze medals. Gold medals go to the winner, and everyone else lost as far as I'm concerned.

What about 1 gold versus a hundred silvers? :)

Did anyone else watch the women's 53kg weight lifting last night? I was on the edge of my seat

That'd probably be awesome.....for Britain. :laughings:

The table is actually worked out by number of Golds. Silver and Bronzes are only taken into account if countries are equal on golds.

---------- Update ----------

That'd probably be awesome.....for Britain. :laughings:

I wonder what happens when you divide number of medals by total population? Maybe the US and China don't look so good then... India though... oh dear.

EDIT: This is what happens:

In London the UK got 0.45 Golds per million people, the US got 0.14 Golds per million people.
The UK got 1 medal per million people while the US got 0.31 medals per million people.

So, it appears that the UK are pretty consistent at being 3 times as good as the US at international sport.

QED.

I love the blatant, outright animosity shown towards the Russians so far in this olympics. There has to be a bad guy, and Russia fills that role perfectly. Bunch of cheaters, and other athletes are not shy about calling them out.

Meh, we're just better at cheating than Russia. Russia's cheating operation is a clumsy bureaucratic mess. Ours is a multi-billion dollar quasi black market enterprise subsidized by athletes who make hundreds of millions of dollars and their unions.

I love the blatant, outright animosity shown towards the Russians so far in this olympics. There has to be a bad guy, and Russia fills that role perfectly. Bunch of cheaters, and other athletes are not shy about calling them out.

Its a little bit awkward, the guys that are in must be the most tested athletes in Olympic history!

Meh, we're just better at cheating than Russia. Russia's cheating operation is a clumsy bureaucratic mess. Ours is a multi-billion dollar quasi black market enterprise subsidized by athletes who make hundreds of millions of dollars and their unions.

It's as if Russia learned nothing from Rocky 4.

Yup, you'd think an olympic cyclist wouldn't just spontaneously crash for no apparent reason, but it was pretty awesome anyway.

Back