The New Tone Thread

A DEAL YOU NEED TO JUMP ON!!!!

Hey tonetards ...
For live use I consider the EV N/D 767a to be about the very best there is.

WAY hotter than an SM58 and very resistant to feedback.
I actually can't think of a better live vocal mic ...... it's tons better than anything I see people using.

The drawback is that they've been relatively expensive .... but they were so good I, personally, have always happily paid the $130 they cost.

Well ..... Musicians Friend is blowing them out for 50 bucks!

If you have any need of a mic ..... grab one or two while you can.
I bought 5 of them!

Electro-Voice N/D767a Dynamic Supercardioid Vocal Microphone | Musician's Friend

Glancing at your explanation .... I play out of a different postion than you do I think.

Mostly I'm based around that major triad on the 2nd, 3rd and 4th strings.
So if I'm in A I'm based on the 14th fret ...2nd, 3rd and 4th strings.
That way i can have chordal stuff similar to tuning to an open chord. I will branch out from there and do play lines but that triad is where I start from.

Cool Bob, I was hoping you'd reply & give some info on how you do things....The way I usually play is the 3rd/4th strings, & like you it lets me branch our into little lines/licks too...I do sometimes use the 2nd/3rd/4th, it really depends on the song, but it's cool you replied dude...

I'm just a hack that plays blues-based licks dude, I don't have the musical chops you or a lot of guys here have...

I watched a couple videos today, one of Sonny Landreth, which I think is an excellent slide player to say the least...Ry Cooder is another that I think is phenomenal....

A DEAL YOU NEED TO JUMP ON!!!!

Hey tonetards ...
For live use I consider the EV N/D 767a to be about the very best there is.

WAY hotter than an SM58 and very resistant to feedback.
I actually can't think of a better live vocal mic ...... it's tons better than anything I see people using.

The drawback is that they've been relatively expensive .... but they were so good I, personally, have always happily paid the $130 they cost.

Well ..... Musicians Friend is blowing them out for 50 bucks!

If you have any need of a mic ..... grab one or two while you can.
I bought 5 of them!

Electro-Voice N/D767a Dynamic Supercardioid Vocal Microphone | Musician's Friend

I'm assuming since you mentioned the '58, these mics would be great for guitar cabs too???

I'm assuming since you mentioned the '58, these mics would be great for guitar cabs too???
well maybe .... but they have a much wider freq response.
A 58 only goes down to 50hz while the EV goes down to 35hz, which may be cool for getting that bottom end thing.

But the 58 only goes up to 15,000 hz while the EV goes up to 22,000hz.
That's one of the things I feel makes it sound so crisp on vocals but, depending on your taste and/or noise issues .... MIGHT make it too bright for a cab mic.

I use them for cabs myself ...... but I'm not as specific about a guitar sound I want as you guys.
And all the stuff ya'll like was recorded with a 58/57.

But for 50 bucks you can't go wrong with one .... they're an awesome live/vocal mic.

Alritey .... gig time .... see's ya'll later

MF won't ship the mic to Australia. Bummer, the intro screen said welcome international musician etc and then the crunch came on the item page. Oh well.
Thanks Lt. Bob. Woudda, coudda, shoudda but that's life in the antipodes.

MF won't ship the mic to Australia. Bummer, the intro screen said welcome international musician etc and then the crunch came on the item page. Oh well.
Thanks Lt. Bob. Woudda, coudda, shoudda but that's life in the antipodes.

But ray, why would you want to soil your hands with dirty US currency when you only have to pay about 2.5 times the price to stay in AUD?

Electro Voice N/D767a Microphone | AUD $211 Australian Price

I guess you and I could have a real good conversation about f--king gear prices in Aus, sometime... :mad:

Gents,

Clean tones from me this morning. I'm getting more used to using EZ Drummer so am going through the process of re-recording loads of older stuff. Here's a quick intro/verse. Its all done on coil split humckers which someone (Jimi?) was interested in a couple of days ago. One is on the neck pickup with chorus, the other is on the bridge with no effects.

View attachment Tone Test Verse.mp3

Actually, I've had a bit more of a play - here's a verse-chorus-verse. The original version of this was done with cheapy sims from Gearbox - they sounded a bit minging but they did sound heavy. This seems to lack a little heaviness - I'm loath to just heap on more gain but I think that might be the way to go.

View attachment Tone Test VCV.mp3

The previous version of this also had heavy distortion on the bass which may have helped fill it out a bit more - Not sure I want to go for that again and I don't want to end up quad tracking the guitars. Might try letting the open E ring a bit more to try and add a touch more depth.

Last edited:
like 'em both .... I especially like the dirty rhythm git on VCV .... the ledas too .... when they go into harmonies is very nice

I think those sound pretty good. A little boxy to me, but not too bad. Spread the heavy rhythms out more though. They're kind of crowding the middle. Get them out wide and I think that will help with the boxiness.

Cheers guys, now I've thought on it a bit more and basically got used to it I quite like it. I do kinda miss the heaviness that it had before though - I might try a distorted bass in the chorus later. I'm struggling with the interlude at the moment though - not getting enough sustain but getting a shit load of feedback... annoying.

Panning out the guitars a bit more did help - they were 45% each way - they're now at 75% each way. I'll post it up again once I've had another crack at this interlude.

Just fiddling - I think I need to tie a sock around the nut.

Last edited:
JDOD, I think the lack of heaviness in the second clip is down to the guitars being much louder than everything else. Heaviness is in the relationship between the guitars, bass, and drums, especially. You lose that when one overwhelms the others. That boxiness could be down to mic placement and a speaker that isn't broken in yet.

Robus, its still comparitively heavy - just not quite what it was with a fully distorted bass on it too - I was using an old shit rectifier sim on it before.

Anyway - I've widened out the guitars (it has put some meat on the bones), finished the interlude and outro - haven't finsihed writing the solo yet so its a bit of a placeholder but I don't want to piss my neighbours off anymore with endless takes of me working on a solo.

View attachment Tone Test Solo TBC.mp3

Just fiddling - I think I need to tie a sock around the nut.

If you're being serious about dampening your strings, just get a sheet of cheap foam dude, & do all your guitars...You can usually find some around where the air-conditioning shit is, something like this:

Frost King E/O 1-1/4 in. x 1-1/4 in. x 42 in. Foam Air Conditioner Weatherstrip-AC42H - The Home Depot

That piece is a lot thicker than what I used, but you get the idea...

I've not did this to the SG yet, but I can hear at times a little "ping" sound my LP had pretty bad until I stuffed foam at the nut, & the bridge both...All my trem guitars have it at the nut & under the springs too...

Your tones are getting better man, but IMO the dirty tones in the 2nd clip are way too loud for the mix...There is a slight boxy-ness to 'em, but bringing the volume down to match the mix may even help a little...Cool harmony!!!

I see you brought the guitar down a bit in the mix--good. The clean arpeggios sound good. I can tell you were tracking loud. A tone that is clean, but that tells you the amp is putting in a shift, is a beautiful thing. The distorted tone is still nasally and boxy. I wonder if you're not hyping your midrange too much on the amp EQ. The reason I would exaggerate the midrange is to help a guitar poke through the mix better. But when the guitar is mainly what you are hearing, then it just sounds exaggerated. I'd back off the mids, personally, just based on what I am hearing in this particular clip. But the tone you have here could be great or terrible, depending where you go with the mix.

Anyway - I've widened out the guitars (it has put some meat on the bones), finished the interlude and outro - haven't finsihed writing the solo yet so its a bit of a placeholder but I don't want to piss my neighbours off anymore with endless takes of me working on a solo.

I'm listening to this clip as I type Jdod, & I think the rhythm gtrs are still a little loud & still a little boxy...Try bringing the mids down a little on the amp, but just a little, then bring 'em down just a little more in the mix, but just a little...

You've got some pretty cool harmony stuff goin' on there man...IMO you need to drop the rhythm guitars' volume a bit, & bring the leads up in the mix, especially the part at the end...The V30 has made a huge difference in your overall tone though dude, good job!!!

I usually work my solos/leads out like that too dude, & depending on what time it is, I may even use an ampsim (late at night)...I sometimes re-amp those di's, or sometimes I just completely re-track, it depends on how shitty my playing is...

If you're being serious about dampening your strings, just get a sheet of cheap foam dude, & do all your guitars...You can usually find some around where the air-conditioning shit is, something like this:

Frost King E/O 1-1/4 in. x 1-1/4 in. x 42 in. Foam Air Conditioner Weatherstrip-AC42H - The Home Depot

That piece is a lot thicker than what I used, but you get the idea...

I've not did this to the SG yet, but I can hear at times a little "ping" sound my LP had pretty bad until I stuffed foam at the nut, & the bridge both...All my trem guitars have it at the nut & under the springs too...

Your tones are getting better man, but IMO the dirty tones in the 2nd clip are way too loud for the mix...There is a slight boxy-ness to 'em, but bringing the volume down to match the mix may even help a little...Cool harmony!!!

Yeah, man. I actually took a sock off and tied it around the nut for the ringy bit in the middle! Yeah, I'll find a bit of foam and use it when I get a minute... we don't have air-con in wales though, dude! Just raincoats.

I'm listening to this clip as I type Jdod, & I think the rhythm gtrs are still a little loud & still a little boxy...Try bringing the mids down a little on the amp, but just a little, then bring 'em down just a little more in the mix, but just a little...

You've got some pretty cool harmony stuff goin' on there man...IMO you need to drop the rhythm guitars' volume a bit, & bring the leads up in the mix, especially the part at the end...The V30 has made a huge difference in your overall tone though dude, good job!!!

I usually work my solos/leads out like that too dude, & depending on what time it is, I may even use an ampsim (late at night)...I sometimes re-amp those di's, or sometimes I just completely re-track, it depends on how shitty my playing is...

Yeah, I'll probably stick the end section on a loop and noodle for an hour with a sim and headphones until I've got something that I'm completely happy with. There's a few licks in there I like and one cool run from quite low down across a couple of octaves to a high bend that I want to keep.

See, I can't help thinking that the guitars are too quiet... I suppose that's "mixed by the guitarist syndrome".

Suppose the V30 is still breaking in and will gradually start to sound better.

I know what you guys mean about the spike of something slightly unpleasant but I'm fucked if I can find it. Greg did explain to me how to look for ugly spikes and eliminate them. I'll track down the message and have a go later.

Yeah, I'll probably stick the end section on a loop and noodle for an hour with a sim and headphones until I've got something that I'm completely happy with. There's a few licks in there I like and one cool run from quite low down across a couple of octaves to a high bend that I want to keep.

See, I can't help thinking that the guitars are too quiet... I suppose that's "mixed by the guitarist syndrome".

Suppose the V30 is still breaking in and will gradually start to sound better.

I know what you guys mean about the spike of something slightly unpleasant but I'm fucked if I can find it. Greg did explain to me how to look for ugly spikes and eliminate them. I'll track down the message and have a go later.

I get it you like your guitars to sound big, but it's all about the whole mix too man, just keep that in mind...You've improved a lot on your tones dude, a lot IMO....

ReaEq should help you find the offending frequency dude, it's got a graph that plays in real-time, then just notch a little narrow cut out...

I know what you guys mean about the spike of something slightly unpleasant but I'm fucked if I can find it. Greg did explain to me how to look for ugly spikes and eliminate them. .
an ugly spike that is pretty common on git tones is around 2.3k
You can almost assume 2.3k is a culprit if it sounds harsh and/or spikey

Back