ringy-hiss in audio HELP PLEASE :)

ArtiRose

Hey guys, I am at my wits end with this noise. It is just turning into a nightmare within a nightmare. I just wanna get to the bottom of it because it is still there (albeit not as loud or sore to the ear).

So here is what I have:

Rode nt1 mic
Um2 interface
Record with GarageBand
MacBook Pro (2011- I think)
All drivers and softwares are up to date
Record in walk in closet with lots of clothes & soundproof foam fanels

Things I've tried:

Moving rooms
Preamp (mention in prior post)
Changed cables
Changed mics
Recorded on different programs
Changed laptops (received different hiss/hum)
Purchased a Jitterbug usb ground loop isolator
Tried a RadioShack RCA ground loop isolator
Tried noise gate. Removed the sound but during speech it's very present and harder to edit (voice sounds horribly electronic)

I am about to receive a furman power condition/surge protector strip today in the mail. The noise is very much something doing with the laptop. I can lower all the gain and it still remains at the same level in the tracks. My voice will be practical gone but the darn hiss is just there taunting me lol.

I spoke with a gentleman at guitar center in the AM, he said it can only be 3 things at this point; dirty power, computer internal wire interference or room noise (but wouldn't lowering gain solve that???). Has anyone had to crack open their pewter to fix the hiss???

I'm running out of options now lol I'm so desperate. I'm to the point where I'm going to kidnap a pewter tech & sound tech to help lol.

Ive attached the noise with some speech in it. Its just a sample test so there is movement noise (ignore that lol). Any advice/assistance will be immensely appreciated.

Attachments

• Noise.mp3
    130.4 KB · Views: 25
I should also mention that when my headphones is plugged into the interface I don't hear it but when I do play back on my computer it's there

The noise is very much something doing with the laptop. I can lower all the gain and it still remains at the same level in the tracks. My voice will be practical gone but the darn hiss is just there taunting me lol. [/QUOTE said:
I must have missed your first post on this problem. How do you listen back to your recorded tracks? Headphone out? Monitor out? WAV files on some other component? Pardon me if someone already asked this but since you're saying the level of of noise does not change (essentially)..........that noise could be inherent in whatever you're listening to your tracks on and not be on the recording itself. Yes I know......but I had to ask.

I should also mention that when my headphones is plugged into the interface I don't hear it but when I do play back on my computer it's there

My response just missed your post. So.......if you don't hear it on the phones.................and you do when you play it back on the computer.....how EXACTLY are you listening to it on the computer? Do you mean it's going to some sort of monitor / speaker system?

Wav files on other component? What do you mean?

Both headphone & monitor. The noise shows in the audio through Adobe audition. When I finally filter it out through the program the echo/tin becomes present in my voice ?. I do audiobooks so this isn't something I can turn in. Lol either I don't normalize, so the hiss isn't very noticeable (which sucks since my voice is typically below -15db) or I normalize and end up with tin/reverb in my voice after editing out the ring-hiss (very internety sound).

Wav files on other component? What do you mean?

Both headphone & monitor. The noise shows in the audio through Adobe audition. When I finally filter it out through the program the echo/tin becomes present in my voice ��. I do audiobooks so this isn't something I can turn in. Lol either I don't normalize, so the hiss isn't very noticeable (which sucks since my voice is typically below -15db) or I normalize and end up with tin/reverb in my voice after editing out the ring-hiss (very internety sound).

I'll try again. So when you listen (not while recording) through your headphones using the interface you do not hear it right? Assuming that's true then you only hear it when you're playing it back right? What are your headphones plugged into when you're listening to it on Adobe? When you create / render a WAV or mp3 file of your recording on Adobe and play that wav or mp3 on some other device.........not your computer.......is the noise there?

To be honest I'm not entirely certain. I'm about 10 mins away from my house, i'll definitely give it a try as soon as I get home. My headphones are typically plugged into the monitor I have a Mac so I just plug it into the back what I do is I record in my closet through my macbook then I airdrop it to my desktop my mac and that's where I begin editing. So I've listen to the noise in both my MacBook as well as my desktop Mac.

Here is a pic...the sound is visual as well. So I don't attribute it to my speakers or headphones.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-03-22 at 12.35.48 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-03-22 at 12.35.48 PM.png
    650.4 KB · Views: 8
Now this may sound a little weird lol....but I took my test clip, captured noise & noise reduced it 3 times. Then each section of speech I highlighted and normalized to -5db. Surprisingly the hiss isn't there and there is no echo/tin/internet voice effect..... while this was only done on a small clip I wonder how this type of editing could work on a 30 min audio clip. Oh boy...at this point I can give that a try....until a better option pokes its head.

Also, with the noise gate I notice the audio (pre edits) has amplified hiss during speech, is there a way to better control that? Don't fully understand why it (the hiss) would be MORE present and harder to edit with the noise gate

What happens when you record louder? Get your peaks up to about -6dbfs or so. This will test whether the hiss is part of the mic/preamp combo or inherent to the interface. If the hiss stays the same, it will be 10db quieter compared to the voiceover.

lol anddddddd I spoke to soon. Bah! I get that internet sound in certain portions. Just tried it on a longer section.

What happens when you record louder? Get your peaks up to about -6dbfs or so. This will test whether the hiss is part of the mic/preamp combo or inherent to the interface. If the hiss stays the same, it will be 10db quieter compared to the voiceover.

Getting my voice up there drowns it out during speech, but the minute I back down for a split of a second Its present. It reminds me of a low AOL dial up sound...not full on, but like its part of that annoying sound lol...or maybe my ears are just so sick of hearing it lol

....but Im practically shouting lol so thats a lot of voice strain to do in a 9-10 hour audiobook ;P

It's a $30 interface, I would suspect its the source of the problem. You mention (but do not name) a preamp you used before?

Yes originally I started off with a mic directly connected into the computer the noise was there I tried everything to get rid of it like within GarageBand. Then I purchase a preamp it didn't work. Then I purchased this interface because I was told for what I do a more expensive or advance in her face wasn't needed. But the noise is still there. I will say I don't recall the ringing I'm thinking that's something new with the interface but that his sound or the like little fuzzy static kind of sound was there before everything that I tried.

Sorry............I give up. A few posts back you said that when you listen though your headphones on your interface there was no noise.

It's okay I understand. I meant during recording I do not hear the noise. It's once it's recorded the noise is then introduced. I appreciate your willing to try. Thank you

Back