Punk Rock Track

Oh, that's weird. So, it would C#, E, A for an A chord, on the 5th fret. Weird.

Actually, I shouldn't say its weird. I do it often too, but that's usually what my "second" guitar track would do. Not the main rythms. It just seems weird to do it all the time.

Oh, that's weird. So, it would C#, E, A for an A chord, on the 5th fret. Weird.

Actually, I shouldn't say its weird. I do it often too, but that's usually what my "second" guitar track would do. Not the main rythms. It just seems weird to do it all the time.

I play Joe style chords and Johnny style chords. Lol. I like the Joe version sometimes, I like the Johnny version sometimes. I use a lot of 1st position open chords too. An open E major at full Marshall roar is a beautiful thing. But never do I play just 1-5 powerchords. I play barre and regular major/minor stuff.

Johnny could easily barre his chords because his fingers were 8 feet long and Mosrites have tiny necks. You don't get his sound with wimpy power chords. You have to play real barre chords.
JohnnyRamone.jpg

That's how this kid played it. That's how I learned what a barre chord was. LOL :laughings: He had a mosrite with tuners at the bridge and he had a les paul studio. Played them through some kind of marshall.

Yup, and that C# would be the middle finger note if you're playing it regular barre shape at the 5th fret.

Punk rock chords 101. Make this a sticky! :D

Right. I just learned something. Well, I already knew all about those chords and occasionally used them. But I often avoided playing the 3rd with distortion, thinking it's just too dissident or something. I've going to try it more often.

---------- Update ----------

Oh crap, I just realized this thread is in the MP3 clinic. Sorry to the O.P. for going off track.
Fuck, you're right. I thought we were in the "Lo-Fi" thread for some reason. Sorry about that, Xvious.

Hey, it keeps the track at the top of the page. I wouldn't complain. In fact, let's move this to my thread. :D

Yeah I'm not complaining about the chord chatter but I'm still convinced that Johnny stuck to power chords, do you have any examples of songs where you can hear the major or minor third?

Yeah I'm not complaining about the chord chatter but I'm still convinced that Johnny stuck to power chords, do you have any examples of songs where you can hear the major or minor third?

Um, yeah, all of them. Mostly major. Actually, here's a tip - the first chord on the first song on the first album. Try that. Look at the pics, look at videos, and listen. He's clearly not playing basic old powerchords. If you can't hear it for yourself, I don't know what to tell you.

Watched a few youtube clips of him and there were some quick shots of his fretting hand and he had a complete barre chord going. Not sure what his picking hand was doing, it was going faster than the frame rate of the camera. :D

I don't own Michael Molenda's "The Guitar Player Book: 40 Years Of Interviews, Gear, And Lessons From The World's Most Celebrated Guitar Magazine", so I can't fully confirm this, but some cursory research led me to this quote -

"The Mosrites were light, and they were perfect for playing nonstop barre chords." -Johnny Ramone

A few other books (including Johnny's autobio) also reference the thought that Johnny wailed away on barre chords.

I really dig the Ramones, but I don't think I've ever read too much about them in-depth - off to the library...

Daryl

Yup, that is correct. Barre chords. Let's give Johnny some credit. He was better than 1-5 powerchords. His sound is hard to duplicate and it's 100% how he plays. It's not high gain and it's not powerchords.

I'm glad I found this thread...

My bro always gives me the business because I generally play all 6 strings on my barre chords. Part of it is due to ignorance - when I was first figuring out barre chords, I never put it together that I'm only supposed to play 5th string down, or whatever.

Now that I've started to record more, I've found that not only do I have a wall of sound - but it's darn near a dam. To be able to play all the strings and make it ring properly is indeed a testament to his ability.

On the plus side, the next time my band mates give me a hard time, I can reference JR. Even though I don't sound a lick like him.

Daryl

That's right. It sounds huge. I play that way too. I do try to get the "Johnny sound" sometimes and it's done with modest gain, big volume, and BARRE CHORDS! :D

He may barre but it sounds like he just strums the 3 low strings. By the way Johnny Ramone is the person who inspired me to pick up guitar in the first place.

He may barre but it sounds like he just strums the 3 low strings. By the way Johnny Ramone is the person who inspired me to pick up guitar in the first place.
You're not alone. I've been an unapologetic Ramones fanboy geek for 30 years.

Ok I just listened to bliztkreig bop, I hear some barres
Keep listening, you'll hear his barre chords everywhere. Blitzkrieg Bop is full of 100% barre chords. They're an integral part of his style and sound.

Listen to the Leave Home album. His tone is a little cleaner on that record and you can really hear the chime and major-ness of his barre chords.

And watch how he barres chords with the root on the A string. See if you can figure it out. It will open up new doors of awesomeness for your own rhythm playing if you're into that style..

Back