Punk Rock Track

Sounds way more 75 bpm than 150 bpm to me. For a backing track, I mean. Backing track for what though? You coy?

Doesn't sound like punk as I know/knew it.
What sort of punk?
It is rather slow & the kick is VERY modern sounding - all click & no kick.

I think the bass tone fits well. Might probably bring the guitars down even further. Needs vocals!!!! I hate listening to backing tracks, but am doing so here because of your bass thread.

hard to tell if the thump is there in the kick, or if it is all click. The low end might be conflicting with the bass. Gotta notch out out room for both to fit in the low end. But it could be my listening environment too. Others will need to chime in.

I think this sounds pretty damn good.

It is most definitely 150bpm's. But this is nowhere near anything I would call punk. It's just a good, solid rock backing track.

Guitars are still way loud IMO.

Sounds good but if for a practice track for guitarists to play over, then the drums and bass guitar need to be out front. Not the rhythm guitar so much.

Just my opinion tho. :)

I think this sounds pretty damn good.

It is most definitely 150bpm's. But this is nowhere near anything I would call punk. It's just a good, solid rock backing track.

Thanks, I grew up listening to the Ramones, so when I hear power chords its punk rock in my mind!

Some people define punk as shit guitar tone offbeat drummers and a recording that sounds like it was made with a phone. To me punk is about stripped down rock and roll. Distorted power chords a driving drum beat and a nice driving bass.

Some people define punk as shit guitar tone offbeat drummers and a recording that sounds like it was made with a phone. To me punk is about stripped down rock and roll. Distorted power chords a driving drum beat and a nice driving bass.

I don't disagree, and one of the people that puts up the best recordings here is a punker. Pretty sure he'd agree with you, too. A lot of times, it's the vocals that can change the perception. Right now, it doesn't sound punk to me. But with vocals it might. Anyway, it's a good solid backing track, who cares what we call it. :cool:

Thanks, I grew up listening to the Ramones, so when I hear power chords its punk rock in my mind!

Original punk rarely used power chords. They used the whole chord, whether major or minor, and reveled in the distorted, discordant noise that came from adding the major or minor third. The Ramones used whole chords. Power chords suck in punk, they have no discords, nothing that jars against the ears.

I'm sorry man but the Ramones almost exclusively used power chords, I can think of just a few songs that don't rely on them. Other early punk bands like the clash and sex pistols also relied heavily on power chords.

I'm sorry man but the Ramones almost exclusively used power chords, I can think of just a few songs that don't rely on them. Other early punk bands like the clash and sex pistols also relied heavily on power chords.

No, Johnny used barre chords. They look like power chords, but they aren't. They're mostly major chords. They aint just a 1 and a 5. He barred the whole fretboard.

Joe Strummer and Mick Jones used tons of real chords. Joe almost exclusively used the top half of major chords, Mick was all over the place. Minors show up in a lot of Clash songs too.

Joe almost exclusively used the top half of major chords,

Wow, I remember that!!! First band I ever mixed (I drank their beer) was a punk band. I remember the guitar player saying he barres the whole chord but only plays the top three strings. He said that's all any of them do (meaning, Ramones and sex pistols. At that time there weren't any others). This was late 70's.

But if you're only playing the top 3 strings of a bar chord, you're not playing the major or minor. You're playing A,E,A for an A chord, for example.

Wow, I remember that!!! First band I ever mixed (I drank their beer) was a punk band. I remember the guitar player saying he barres the whole chord but only plays the top three strings. He said that's all any of them do (meaning, Ramones and sex pistols. At that time there weren't any others). This was late 70's.

Well Johnny Ramone never did that, but Joe Strummer did. It would look like an F chord, and you could move it all over the neck. And then wrap your thumb around to hit the root note on the low E string. It's a major chord. The fingering is different, but it's the same notes as a standard barre major chord....which looks like power chord, but there's more to it.

Joe!
il_fullxfull.98482206.jpg

Johnny could easily barre his chords because his fingers were 8 feet long and Mosrites have tiny necks. You don't get his sound with wimpy power chords. You have to play real barre chords.
JohnnyRamone.jpg

But if you're only playing the top 3 strings of a bar chord, you're not playing the major or minor. You're playing A,E,A for an A chord, for example.

When I say 'top three', I mean musically, not physically. So that would be A, C#, E for an A chord.

"Top three strings" can mean different things to different people.

---------- Update ----------

When I say 'top three', I mean musically, not physically. So that would be A, C#, E for an A chord.

Yeah this. Me too.

Back