Pop filters

my mistake./...NS10 tweeters were sometimes covered with Kleenex... not tp.
the insanity continues..

Attachments

• PopFilters.png
    PopFilters.png
    1 MB · Views: 72
The best pop shield I ever came across was a towel over the head. Uncomfortable, hilarious to view but unbeatable !

Now this one has real possibilities.....I love the fly swatter as a secondary pop filter.

Untitled-1 copy.jpg

After doing the vocals...he can go out and rob a bank...he's already dressed for it! :D

Metal filters can change the sound, as can also nylon filters.

Th Håkan P110 Pop Killer is a foam filter with specially selected foam that will not colour the sound - also the foam is hydrophobic so that is will not absorb moisture that will also colour the sound.

I have attached a picture of the data sheet:-

Top reccy from Hugh here as well John...
Håkan P110

(but I guess you knew that!)

Dave.

I've perused the posts in this thread, though I haven't read every single one, and I can't tell if the overall consensus is that "any pop filter will do" or "not all pop filters are created equal"? For example the range in prices I'm finding when searching online are kinda ridiculous: $14 Nady filter at Radio Shack all the way to this $60 metal mesh one.

For a beginner like me with a small home studio is the Radio Shack one ok?

I've perused the posts in this thread, though I haven't read every single one, and I can't tell if the overall consensus is that "any pop filter will do" or "not all pop filters are created equal"? For example the range in prices I'm finding when searching online are kinda ridiculous: $14 Nady filter at Radio Shack all the way to this $60 metal mesh one.

For a beginner like me with a small home studio is the Radio Shack one ok?

All pop filters cause SOME colouration of the voice but even a cheap one that causes a lot is preferable to the effects of "popping".
The Hakan is said to be the most effective filter around but also one that causes the least colouration. Yer pays yer money?

Dave.

Thanks for the info. I don't want to spend a bunch of money on it right now. I'm definitely on a budget so I was thinking about getting the radio shack one (or something in a similar price point. I don't even track a lot of vocals, but I have a need to do some in the near future. Again it's just for fun and "home studio project" based stuff.

I've never found coloration to be much of an issue compared to the mic itself, the pre amp and so on.

The bigger difference for me tends to be the ruggedness and the quality of the mounting clamp which can be wobbly on the cheapies. Neither of these are deal breakers for a beginner though. Go with the radio shack. I still have some Maplin specials (ecc83 can tell you about Maplin) that are still going after 20 or so years.

I've never found coloration to be much of an issue compared to the mic itself, the pre amp and so on.

The bigger difference for me tends to be the ruggedness and the quality of the mounting clamp which can be wobbly on the cheapies. Neither of these are deal breakers for a beginner though. Go with the radio shack. I still have some Maplin specials (ecc83 can tell you about Maplin) that are still going after 20 or so years.

I agree Bobbs that pop filter colouration is almost a non-issue! It was mentioned in that Haka review but I must confess I had never considered or noticed it before! Probably because there is no way I would use my one, Sontronics LDC without one!

But I reasoned that the OP was wondering about the various types and prices and so I gave him what I had.

BTW My pop shield is just "tights on a wire" rather well engineer tho', done when I had "The Facilities"!

I'll do a picky.

Dave.

As mentioned in the last couple of posts above, one of the last things that will affect the sound of your mic is the pop filter. There are so many other much more important variables. I'd even challenge anyone that claims there's a difference to pass a blind test, but that's neither here nor there. I ordered a new mic yesterday which will come with a pop filter. Until now, I've also been using nylon tights on a clothes hanger. Works just fine and does the job.

Until now, I've also been using nylon tights on a clothes hanger. Works just fine and does the job.

Same here.

I was at GC yesterday returning the JBL monitors and walking around and saw some pop filters. The cheapest was $21, the most expensive was $60 and that just made me laugh.

Same here.

I was at GC yesterday returning the JBL monitors and walking around and saw some pop filters. The cheapest was $21, the most expensive was $60 and that just made me laugh.

I like the metal type because it is much easier to wash off other peoples spit than the nylon ones. Yuck...

Never noticed enough difference in their abilities nor coloration to even make worth mention.

I bought the $70 Stedman Pro XL and it broke off it's mount the first week. I have had the $40 Stedman PS101 for a couple years with no issue.

Like Rami, I have one made of nylons that has been hidden in a closet.

That bitch just wouldn't shut up.... :)

If you want do it yourself but something that looks more the part, visit your local hobby or sewing shop and buy a pair of embroidery hoops. These'll hold the stocking material tight as a drum. I had an old gooseneck lamp that was broken and used the "bendy bit" from that along with a big bulldog clip to hold it all on the mic stand.

You still have to deal with the screaming woman for yourself.

I made one using tights and used that for a long time.

Then I realised I had spent thousands of dollars on interfaces, monitors, mikes and the rest of it, and I was making do with tights?

So I got a decent pop filter.

Back