Ellie By Client No7

ric3xrt

Hello All , Mostly a lurker around this great site, I have learned a lot for you all here,.
Here's the lastest from my spare bedroom studio. No vocals yet, trying to find the right voice for my stuff I have a 50 more songs posted on Reverbnation under the band name Client No7
Be honest I'm a big boy who can handle anything suggestions.

Attachments

• Ellie.mp3
    4.1 MB · Views: 19
I'd say a couple of things...

It sounds like you might have a low end problem. It sounds really rumbly. The kick, bass, and that guitar that comes in at around 1:09 are a little out of control in the lows.

The lead guitar on the left is rather harsh sounding. Like a lot of stuff around 2400hz or so. to a lesser extent, the lead guitar on the right that comes in later is a little harsh too.

The kick has a lot of click in the attack. It gets a little tough on the ears after you listen awhile.

The drums largely disappear at around 1:09 when the heavy guitars kick in. I can still hear the kick and snare, but it's tough. The cymbals almost disappear entirely.

The heavy crunchy guitars are missing a lot of low midrange. This is definitely a personal preference thing, but they sound hollow. All lows and highs. Nothing in between.

Hey ric.

The fundamentals are good - Structure, timing etc etc.
The recording is bad. Sorry. :(

To me, it sounds exactly like a mix that was recorded without making any acoustic sound. By that I mean line inputs all the way.

Trip is right about the guitar lead part. It's all highs to the point where I though it was a 'cool' effect you were doing before the real mix kicks in.
Sounds extreme, but if I cover my tweeters the guitar all but disappears.

Do you have a microphone and an amp?

Sorry if that sounds harsh. It's just meant to be honest/helpful.

The guitars sound fizzy instead of fuzzy.
Bass tone isn't bad.
The tones do suggest DI & in the box work.
Song's fine.

The music is good, it's played well and lots of good ideas.

To me, it sounds exactly like a mix that was recorded without making any acoustic sound. By that I mean line inputs all the way.

Yeah, something like that. The good news is that it's easily remedied with minor eq adjustments, especially to the left guitar. It's piercing and the tone isn't working. The mix isn't quite gelling, nor is it that far off. Spend some time and you'll get it.

Thanks, its all Di No Mics , Guitar is ran thru rocktron, and line out to the board, drums are all Alesis SR-16 ,bass runs thru a Trace elliot GP11 head, and 2nd channel is a SWR SM 400 both lined out to the board.

The guitars sound fizzy instead of fuzzy. Been working on that, but it Fuzzy seams to be that just out of reach tone. Once I build a Live room I think I can get that sound I want, but for now its all experement.

Thanks I really do appreciate and vaule your time and opinions

Mostly just learning Experences for now. building a studio from the ground up this Sep.

The guitars sound fizzy instead of fuzzy. Been working on that, but it Fuzzy seams to be that just out of reach tone. Once I build a Live room I think I can get that sound I want, but for now its all experement.

It's certainly possible to get decent DI tones, but if you have the option, try a mic on a cab.
You'll never look back. ;)

Back