Submissions for Mix This Project

OK Jimmy here ya go. I stayed up all night getting these as close to the original masters as possible. Sadly while tracking I made a few Noob mistakes by applying effects directly to some of the master tracks. Nothing horrible, the worst being the snare is fairly heavily gated but I was always happy with the sound I got with the overhead bleed blended with a verb bus. The only other big problem area may be the toms as my heads were old and were pretty dead. I wish you luck my friend and I'm certain I will be pleased with anything you can do with the tracks, I'm most grateful you're willing to put some time into them. Also please note I'm in no hurry for this whatsoever, take as much time as you wish. I checked out your site, (really nice studio btw) and I understand you have a business to run. Good Luck!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/s1aaz2ecqecvboc/In%20my%20head_dry%20tracks.zip

PS
I was talking about a song by the band Green Jellö.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6LOFvgPXoM

Last edited:
Downloading now. :)

Man, I really need to update my studio photos. Much has changes since then. Just been too damned busy to get to it...

Love me some Green Jello!

Oh, and this isn't my business really. It is just something I do, and it's something I enjoy. Yeah, people pay me, because they know my time is worth something. Every penny goes back into the studio-my retirement strategy. :)

Sending a rough mix of 'In My Head' to your email. Snow storm in Denver, gave me some down time today. I used it to better mankind. lol

Peace out. :)

You're the second person saying that, but I just checked and it's onbeat over here. Guess I'll re-upload. I fucking hate when shit like this happens.

Downloaded it and put it together, it's onbeat over here. Anyway I'm re-uploading it.

Well? You are missing my snow storm induced free time....lol

Oh well.

Yeah, there was some serious gates going on. I separated the 1/2 and 3/4 toms, and enhanced the drums with Trigger. Came out pretty good.

Yeah, there was some serious gates going on. I separated the 1/2 and 3/4 toms, and enhanced the drums with Trigger. Came out pretty good.

Awsome mix except leaving that thick bass plus thick clean guitar in the beginning kinda sets up a let down when the distorted guitars and drums come in since they're just not as thick. I had to take almost all the bass out of that intro to get some impact when the band comes in. Is that the new chord track? The vocals sit really well.

Yeah, I agree. Naw, I just copied the original vocal track, and created a harmony track with Variaudio. I haven't gone into C7 that much yet. I'm all old school and s**t. lol

I also used a short delay on the vocals, as a doubler effect. Since there was only one vocal track, it seemed to need something.

Holy drum gate batman you weren't kidding, anyway, here's my quick mix.

One...OMG, I missed out on a second mix of my song, DOH! do you still have it by chance??

Two...yeah, that "gate" was me. I went the insane route and hand edited every single stroke of the snare and toms and just bussed it all to a nice verb, (well, I though it was nice but it was a bit much looking back). I probally spent a solid hour just doing the snare. Who needs a gate when you have no life and ADD? :facepalm:

Maybe a silly question, and I thought I read through the posts but didn't see anything. But, my understanding is, there is mixing and there is producing. Are we really talking about pure mixing or more of producing by adding in flavors, effects, etc. For example, in the mixing contest, I just mixed. I am not 100% sure I understand the terminology at this point.

Maybe a silly question, and I thought I read through the posts but didn't see anything. But, my understanding is, there is mixing and there is producing. Are we really talking about pure mixing or more of producing by adding in flavors, effects, etc. For example, in the mixing contest, I just mixed. I am not 100% sure I understand the terminology at this point.

"Mixing" and "producing" are the same thing, in the context that you're explaining it.

When you mix a song, you add effects as needed, "flavors", etc.....Mixing involves all of that.It's about taking raw audio tracks and making a finished song out of them.

I think the confusion comes in because now, any 15 year old rapper with a cracked version every plug-in on the net calls themself a "Producah". That ain't "pruducing", Sally.

"Mixing" and "producing" are the same thing, in the context that you're explaining it.

When you mix a song, you add effects as needed, "flavors", etc.....Mixing involves all of that.It's about taking raw audio tracks and making a finished song out of them.

I think the confusion comes in because now, any 15 year old rapper with a cracked version every plug-in on the net calls themself a "Producah". That ain't "pruducing", Sally.

First, pretty funny.

Second, I think I understand a little better. A real producer would be as much in front of the source recording and in the mix as well. Mixing is more aggressive than I had thought. I guess I lost the mixing contest ;)

A real producer would be as much in front of the source recording and in the mix as well. Mixing is more aggressive than I had thought. I guess I lost the mixing contest ;)
Yeah, mixing involves pretty much everything involved in getting the song one step away from a totally finished product (the next step would be mastering, but that's a whole 'nuther subject).

Like you say, a REAL producer (not a producah), is responsible for pretty much everything in the project, including approving mix decisions, or even being actively involved in the mixing. He would be responsible for hiring a horn section (for example), and probably making final decisions as far as "direction", the overall sound of the album, etc....

Here it is...

Thanks for re posting good sir and thanks for your effort, it is most definitely appreciated! It's so interesting to hear how someone else hears your work and takes it in places you would have never thought of. Now with two totally different mixes, (three counting my poor effort) their all like different songs in a way. Even on a professional level choosing the right engineer/producer clearly makes all the difference in the world and can make for break a bands future. I'm convinced that fresh ears are a must for anything I create now, (let people listen, get creative feedback, keep an open mind for anything no matter how crazy it sounds).

Thank you gentleman for this learning experience.

Hello guys...

Well, as far as I get it from reading the rules I should submit a request ofr a mixing project, and them someone from the forum will contact me via pm.
So here I am!!!

I have a general problem mixing screamed vocals (not death gutural or something like that - i can work out pretty well on those - I mean clean vocals singed with strenght and anger: screamed! Maybe something like Kurt Cobain would do or so!). I guess I get very good results on calm clean vocals, but I just cant work out those screamed vocals. By the way, you probably would think is cheating, but I use - once in a while - EzMixII. So, I have 5 files to share: a cut of the song with the vocals, a cut od the song without the vocals, and 3 clean takes of the problematic vocals! I'm recording a bunch of songs (and I getting out of time) and I just can't do anything satisfatory with screamed vocals (which I intend to use in a lot of songs). How can I have - pleeease - your help on this? Maybe some of you could try to mix this littel cut, and enlighten my way telling me how it's done!!!

How can I share the files?

Thanks

Back