Whats a great DAW software for recording?

best daw software for recording?

• Sonar

Votes: 75 14.0%
  • cubase

Votes: 99 18.5%
  • acid

Votes: 9 1.7%
  • adobe

Votes: 20 3.7%
  • pro tools (m-audio)

Votes: 67 12.5%
  • nuendo

Votes: 15 2.8%
  • logic

Votes: 77 14.4%
  • other (please specify)

Votes: 173 32.3%

• Total voters
Logic Express has everything I need. I find flex time and drum replacement/doubling really help out my mixes. As said its a nice stepping stone from garage band. It is definitely more midi friendly than Audio but I use a lot of external VST's such as amplitube and I get a juicy sound.

If you listen to anyone here, then whatever they are using is the best you can get. Sonar X1 does it for me but then you get comments like "pro tools hands down" but who for? That doesn't make me change over to pro tools as I have no reason to.

I think you could pick any daw mentioned in this thread and in a month you would swear by it. Just pick one

The trial version of Studio One was how I got started on it and it was super easy to learn. When I got the money, I upgraded to the newest version. I use it for pretty much every type of music and it hasn't failed me yet.

From my experience, when it comes to recording real instruments, I've found Cubase handles it the best. But when it comes to digitally making music, I've loved how Ableton Live gets it done. So to answer the poll, with "recording", I'd go with Cubase.

PreSonus Studio One is really good too like some other guys were saying, if youre thinking about choosing a DAW, definately give it a spin ;)

My vote is for Mixcraft (5).
Very user friendly.
When you're playing, you just need to focus on your musical performance, and not on need to have some kind of a Engineer Degree to even understand your DAW.

My vote is for Mixcraft (5).
Very user friendly.
When you're playing, you just need to focus on your musical performance, and not on need to have some kind of a Engineer Degree to even understand your DAW.

Precisely the reason I like Sonar X1. But if I WANT to exercise the engineering degree, it can do that too :)

I've heard from people who are a lot smarter than me that REAPER is the most bang for your buck. So I got it... its way more awesome than I am

I think you really need to be objective when you select your DAW. You first need to find out EXACTLY what it is you wish to do with your DAW and how you plan to use it. Almost all these programs are great software. As long as they're compatible with your hardware and rig, it really becomes a question of which one is the best fit for you.. What do you plan to do with it?

Most of these have free trail downloads, I would suggest doing some research, narrowing down your choices and taking those choices which reamin for a test run...

I hear a lot of folks saying great things about the new Studio One V2.0 but you'll need to test drive it, of course. This is supposed to be the simplest of all DAW's and also the most powerful/jcomplete all in one package, as it includes a mastering stage for an enteire album, fully inside the DAW. This is a very handy feature that not a lot of DAW's have. If you want extreme user friendly, simple to use and everything oyu could ever want, I'd say go for it, after you test it, of course...

If you want thei ndustry standard and are quite hand ywith computer software, like customizable programs and software that includes TONS of features and tweaking at a lot of levels, go with Pro Tools. If you're just starting out, I'd suggest the M-Powered version: you can always upgrade if you choose. Pro Tools has a steep learning curve, IMO, but, now that I am fully functional and able to do EVERYTHING it has to offer, I am very resistant to switching. I wanna try Studio One, but it just doesn't seem like it can give me what I want: I like how Pro Tools works, how I can make evrything super simple or complex with the touch of a few buttons.

It's mostly personal taste. Good luck!

I use Acoustica Mixcraft 5 for simplicity, effects, and price. I have to record to a Yamaha MD8 all of my tracks and then import them into Mixcraft... why? Latency issues.

I used ProTools before, mostly because it was tethered with my hardware. As I changed my hardware, I also bought a Presonus StudioLive mixer. Along with this came the Studio One Artist software. Assuming little, I was blown away by the simplicity and bought the pro version. I now use the second version (Studio One 2), and I am super happy with it. First of all the native components (eq, comp etc) are very very good, it utilizes AU, RTAS, VST (1, 2) and I am pretty sure AAX support is just around the corner.

It also seems like Presonus are ahead on many things. They make apps for smartphones that make life a little easier, like iPad live mixing for techs, iPhone aux mixes for bandmembers... Couldn´t be happier :D

Hi there again.
As you may read from a previous post, I'm a Mixcraft user.
But I must confess that I'm really tempted to move to REAPER.

I have written this question in another thread, but maybe here is the right place (so excuse the repetition).
I am a beginner and I've been researching some things about recording and production, reading a lot, seeing a lot of videos etc.
I tried a little of Cubase 5 Se or LE (it came along with my interface), but really dislike it.
Tried Ardour (Linux DAW) but it appears to difficult to work either.
And I also have Mixcraft 5, for a long time now. I actually bought it. A long time ago, but I was very busy at the time, so I’m just really starting to discover MIXCRAFT also.
I can see it's really easy to work with it. Very intuitive and simple.
But it seems to me somehow limited: for example, I do not see how to set the recording level (not to transient in concrete values: -13dB values, for instance – the value that my interface advises), and when I tried Reaper, it seems possible to do this: you just arm the track, and set the wanted record volume (you even see the light peaking – it’s a simple thing, but very important to assure we do not ruin good performances).
But, my main reason to consider to move to REAPER, and I’m sure you will think that’s a really stupid reason: is the wonderful user manual!!!
I mean, it’s not just a REAPER manual, is actually a real manual about recording, mixing, effects, etc..
I have learned a lot reading the Reaper manual.
And since I’m such a beginner, I was thinking: “If I’m going to have a “learning curve” in this DAW world (recording, producing, mixing, mastering), and if I’m learning so much with REAPER manual, why not to move to REAPER also.
Guess that if MIXCRAFT could have a manual like that, I would not consider moving. Cause, you now, sometimes I think we lose a lot the perspective of what we’re supposed to do: CREATE MUSIC!!!

So… what do you think?!

Saw studio has tape record saturation.When I compare tracks between Saw and Cubase it is a difference that you notice.SAW is the best for mixing and mastering.

Saw studio has tape record saturation.When I compare tracks between Saw and Cubase it is a difference that you notice.SAW is the best for mixing and mastering.

With respect, everyone will tell you that the DAW they are accustomed to is the best. You can say you like it for a given reason but to claim it is the best is a bit of a stretch if you dont back it up scientifically. Sonar X1 does an awesome job for me but I am not about to claim it is "the best" without trying every other DAW on the market. I read reviews and hear the complaints about other DAWs including SawStudio but I never read anything that makes me believe that Sonar X1 might not have it. When I need it, it's got it and it does it well. Thats the best I can say and is about what anyone else says about their favourite software. If you are good with SAW and not so good with Cubase, fine, go with what you are used to. But if you try to say its the best at anything, you are just going to generate friction

in my own experience, logic glitches/crackles/misses data etc. and often adds strange artifacts during mixdown, so i don't trust it personally.
i keep going back to pro tools. now that you can use any interface, it is even better (especially for travelers like me who take their studio all over the world and would rather take an apogee duet than a 003 rack unit!).

best of luck in the choice.

No Studio One love? This program is great! It might not have all the features that it's competitors may have (hey, it's still version 2), but it's awesome and comes with Komplete Elements and a nice 14GB of sounds for VI's and drums. It's included effects are decent too!

Back