JoeyM / PoeticIntensity Collab - Out Of The Rain

I'm listening to the updated version from the first post.

Big kick, maybe a little too much. Rest of the drums sound killer. Nice toms during the lead solo. Jason, your tracking has improved so much since first coming to the site.

Love the wah guitar in the beginning, thought it was some vocal effect at first, ha ha ha.

I like where the vocals sit here. I usually like them more upfront, but in this case they are well articulated and in their own space, they don't need to be any louder.

Nice song, too.

cool ya'll.

Big kick, maybe a little too much. Rest of the drums sound killer. Nice toms during the lead solo. Jason, your tracking has improved so much since first coming to the site.

Love the wah guitar in the beginning, thought it was some vocal effect at first, ha ha ha.

I like where the vocals sit here. I usually like them more upfront, but in this case they are well articulated and in their own space, they don't need to be any louder.

Nice song, too.

cool ya'll.

Thanx Dave!:)

This would make a nice "reference mix".....

Thanks, dude. That's quite a statement. So far, I really like listening to it, so... that's a good thing. :)

Yeah...whoever sang this is good.

Dude, unless you've heard his album, you have no idea. This dude has incredible pipes. His name is Joe Mizzi. Look him up. He'll be famous soon. ;)

It all sounds killer to me. Nice open live sound. Nothing much else to say. Sounds great as is.

Thanks, man! Good to hear from ya!

New mix sounds great, Jason! Nice levels, guitars nice and crunchy, Snare sounds lovely as does the whole kit, actually! Nice work, bro!:)

Thanks, Joe. Hope I did it justice. Heckuva song ya got... With Keep Fallin' Down, and now this one, we should work on a similar-themed album... hmmm.... :D

Nice song, too.

cool ya'll.

Thanks, Chili. ..and thanks for the compliment. Gotta keep gettin' better, if I plan on doing this professionally for the rest of my life. I know, I know, pie-in-the-sky, but hey... I still enjoy it after 3 full years, so why not? Thanks again, bro.

...I'll listen to that kick, and the only other change I'd consider at this point, is bringing the vocals up just a bit. Sounds great on monitors, but a few other systems are burying the vocals a tad bit too much.. We'll see.

Not too bad. These are probably some of PI's better drum tracks. Toms sound good to me. Overheads sound good to me. Snare sounds okay. I'm not liking the kick. The click is cheap and midrangey. It's not thumping me in the chest. If it's gonna be this dominant in the mix, it needs to be powerful. That's just my personal taste. There's something not jiving between the drums and the rest of the song though. It's like they're in two different spaces.........because they are. The drums are loose, live-ish, and a bit roomy, while the rest of the tracks are tight and pristine. I'd look for a better balance betwen the Joey stuff and the Jason stuff. A tighter snare sound will help. That's just me though.

Not too bad. These are probably some of PI's better drum tracks. Toms sound good to me. Overheads sound good to me. Snare sounds okay. I'm not liking the kick. The click is cheap and midrangey. It's not thumping me in the chest. If it's gonna be this dominant in the mix, it needs to be powerful. That's just my personal taste. There's something not jiving between the drums and the rest of the song though. It's like they're in two different spaces.........because they are. The drums are loose, live-ish, and a bit roomy, while the rest of the tracks are tight and pristine. I'd look for a better balance betwen the Joey stuff and the Jason stuff. A tighter snare sound will help. That's just me though.

Yup, we're a coupla thousand miles apart......but I trust your golden ears, Greg, and I'm sure Jason does too.;)
Nice that you think my tracks are tight, though...probably because because I recorded them with a click and a programmed drum loop. I think next time, we'll go about it differently, for example, Jason records his kit to a rough track and then I record my tracks. That would probably make everything gel better. Thanx for the comments!

Yup. It's just about time to replace my snare head. Hmmm... Maybe I'll try a new type of snare head, too. As it is, it's just a thin single-ply ambassador. They sound great for good snares with a lot of personality, but don't work really well for smash 'n' slam rock. Maybe I'll get myself a thicker head. ...and yup. I'm very much a groove-player. Playing along with Joe's stuff was seriously difficult for me, because it's on the other side of the spectrum - just like you're saying. I feel the difference, and will most likely use this to play along with to tighten up my technique. I'll re-visit the kick, too.

Thanks for the comment, Greg. You and your stupid golden ears. :eek: :D

Yup, we're a coupla thousand miles apart......but I trust your golden ears, Greg, and I'm sure Jason does too.;)

Yup... Unfortunately, I do.

Nice that you think my tracks are tight, though...probably because because I recorded them with a click and a programmed drum loop. I think next time, we'll go about it differently, for example, Jason records his kit to a rough track and then I record my tracks. That would probably make everything gel better.

Not a bad idea.... Hmm...

That would certainly work. Joey record some scratch tracks to a click, Jason track his drums to those, and then Joey re-record his tracks with the drums. That would help a bunch. Hell, that's how I do it and I'm all by myself. Unless you're mega awesome like Rami, it's hard as shit to put drums to existing tracks and have it really lock in and gel together without doing anything else.

I like the old school riffs in this and the vocals are brilliant. The drums are nice and tight, but they sound almost too clean next to the guitars. I would run the entire drum bus through a Maximiser or something similar to add a bit of grit and filth into some of the gaps, then blend it with the original drums. Sometimes a touch of distortion can help thing gel better

This sounds great guys! Jason, I really like the tone and the vibe of your drums in this. I think it's top-notch stuff. Joe, your vocal sounds fantastic - edgy, and original. I like the arrangement on this tune too - you just can't be nailed down easily to a writing style or genre :D. The only thing I can't get on-board with is the guitar tone :o. I know you are probably sick of hearing it from me, it seems to be the only nit I can hit you with man, but here I go again ;). My two cents are this: if you are gonna go with the Strat, it's got to be way more 'tubey', less distortion and more balls (low-mids). I think it could also be a Zakk-Black Label kinda tone with a LP/Marshall deal. But, this comes kinda late in the mixing phase and it seems like you guys are happy with it, so I'll bugger off now :D;):cool:

That would certainly work. Joey record some scratch tracks to a click, Jason track his drums to those, and then Joey re-record his tracks with the drums. That would help a bunch. Hell, that's how I do it and I'm all by myself. Unless you're mega awesome like Rami, it's hard as shit to put drums to existing tracks and have it really lock in and gel together without doing anything else.

OK boss, we're convinced. That's how we'll do it next time.;)

This sounds great guys! Jason, I really like the tone and the vibe of your drums in this. I think it's top-notch stuff. Joe, your vocal sounds fantastic - edgy, and original. I like the arrangement on this tune too - you just can't be nailed down easily to a writing style or genre :D. The only thing I can't get on-board with is the guitar tone :o. I know you are probably sick of hearing it from me, it seems to be the only nit I can hit you with man, but here I go again ;). My two cents are this: if you are gonna go with the Strat, it's got to be way more 'tubey', less distortion and more balls (low-mids). I think it could also be a Zakk-Black Label kinda tone with a LP/Marshall deal. But, this comes kinda late in the mixing phase and it seems like you guys are happy with it, so I'll bugger off now :D;):cool:

Thanx Brad!
I'll have to play around with my Sansamp GT2 to try and get that sound. But actually I'm quite happy with the tone. I was going for a gritty dirty sound, kind of like the guy from Audioslave. Of course, I don't have his equipment, so......
The style of the song is sort of a continuation of the first song Jason and me did together, hope we can do more of this. Maybe even a whole album....;)

Yup. It's just about time to replace my snare head.

ahh...just put some duct tape on it.

I'm not a drummer but I have noticed with other drummers that I really like the sound of a coated batter. I don't know shit about brands and such though but that's me 2 cents.

Ugh, I learned this the hard way.

Ugh, I learned this the hard way.

Hmm... I've always done it the other way. I always put my guitars 'n' stuff to the click, then put drums down to the click / guitars, then vocals. Maybe I'll try it the other way and see if it gels more. Or maybe I'm just overflowing with awesomeness. :D Nah... I just don't care that much about perfect timing, I guess.

Hmm... I've always done it the other way. I always put my guitars 'n' stuff to the click, then put drums down to the click / guitars, then vocals. Maybe I'll try it the other way and see if it gels more. Or maybe I'm just overflowing with awesomeness. :D Nah... I just don't care that much about perfect timing, I guess.

I'm just finishing up recording a new album with my band and I laid down the guitars on a click as a scratch for the drummer. This way he could play to the feeling of the song rather than the sterile click. Then we went back in and recorded the bass and guitars over the drum track so we could get the in the groove with his playing more and our dynamics would be more in sync. WAY over thought out, but it seemed to work as far as trying to capture a live feeling with actually tracking together.

You should. It doesn't have to be quantized to a grid, but things should lock together. It just sounds better. This sounds like the drums were added after-the-fact. It sounds like that even with Ido's stuff that you play on. That's not a knock against you or Ido or anyone else. It's hard for me to add drums to RayC's stuff. It's hard for damn near everyone to add drums to existing stuff*. That's cool if that's how you wanna do it, but try it the other way and put down the guitars and bass afterwards, or have your collab coworkers retrack their stuff to your drum tracks. It's probably gonna sound better. I used to do the drums last too, then I switched, and my shit got way tighter. When you're doing collabs over the net or doing your own songs by yourself, you're not a "band". There is no magical "groove" that you capture in a live setting. You're basically building a house. You wouldn't frame and paint a house and then try to lay the foundation underneath it, would you?

*Unless you're Rami.

ahh...just put some duct tape on it.

I'm not a drummer but I have noticed with other drummers that I really like the sound of a coated batter. I don't know shit about brands and such though but that's me 2 cents.

You're not alone. Most people prefer the sound of coated snare heads.

Back