JoeyM / PoeticIntensity Collab - Out Of The Rain

PoeticIntensity

MagicJones.com (is a website)
I hesitate to post this, but I figure only good can come of it.

So, Joey contacted me with this song and offered to let me drum for it, and mix the whole she-bang. To be honest, it kind of intimidated me because Joey's drum programming style is so mechanical, and well thought out - and well executed. My drumming style is very haphazard, and groovish.

Anyway... I thought I'd be able to put more mixing time into this one, but it looks like it isn't gonna happen for the next week or so. So I decided to put this out there as-is. It's really quite rough. Comments on any aspects are welcome.

So, without further ado, I present to you, a rough version of Joe Mizzi's "Out of the Rain". Guitars and vocals by Joe Mizzi. Drums and engineering by yours truly.

Updated and (hopefully) much better mix here.

Final Mix here.

Last edited:
Lol, I was just trying to explain about opening up a mix to a newer member...maybe you could just post this instead

Great tune, sometimes Joes stuff could be rock, slight different guitar tone could move it somewhere else..mix sounds big and "there", good drumming, I didnt hear any looseness there at all

Im sure youve got tweaks but as its stands this all sounds great to me and so fucking wide its makes my last track sound narrow and thats a fucker :D

Very very good! I like collabs on these forums. It produces some interesting textures and whatnot. I can tell it was mixed by you. :D Drums are out front and the vocals are pushed back more. Not bad, just different from Joey's style. I think the drums can come down a little actually. The guitars don't sound as big as I would like them to in the distorted parts. It would sound cool with just straight power chords behind that lead part. Maybe even more volume if you guys don't feel like tracking more. The bass carries the song nicely. A pretty entertaining song too! It's kind of Alice In Chains mixed with Stone Temple Pilots sounding. (That kind of stuff is right up my alley :D) Awesome job!

Lol, I was just trying to explain about opening up a mix to a newer member...maybe you could just post this instead

Great tune, sometimes Joes stuff could be rock, slight different guitar tone could move it somewhere else..mix sounds big and "there", good drumming, I didnt hear any looseness there at all

Im sure youve got tweaks but as its stands this all sounds great to me and so fucking wide its makes my last track sound narrow and thats a fucker :D

heh... Thanks, man. I think the whole thing came together quite well. As far as the looseness goes, I guess it's just me, but this thing is all over the place. Gotta tighten it up a bit.

Very very good! I like collabs on these forums. It produces some interesting textures and whatnot. I can tell it was mixed by you. :D Drums are out front and the vocals are pushed back more. Not bad, just different from Joey's style. I think the drums can come down a little actually. The guitars don't sound as big as I would like them to in the distorted parts. It would sound cool with just straight power chords behind that lead part. Maybe even more volume if you guys don't feel like tracking more. The bass carries the song nicely. A pretty entertaining song too! It's kind of Alice In Chains mixed with Stone Temple Pilots sounding. (That kind of stuff is right up my alley :D) Awesome job!

Yup. Thanks, Squibble. I know exactly what you're talking about. This mix represents literally about 30 minutes of time from raw mix, to what you're hearing. No time on it at all. I've gotta seat the drums in better, bring vocals, guitars up more. Didn't EQ anything on it. Thanks for the comments!

COOL. Def another stylistic sidestep from Joe. He'd be hard to tackle if he played Rugby. The upfront nature of the drums & the less so placement of the vocals give it a live feel - that's not a bad thing - a GREAT live recording it would be.
I like the arrangement & relative levels of guitars.
Joe, like Greg & RAMI, gets a great bass tone.
Wah wah - I love it.
I think it's a good starting place for the rest of the mix.
I have a new thing I'm working on at present but am TRYING to hold back posting until I have it pretty much in the bag. Normally I post early & use the expertise of the forum to get things right. This time I'm going to try to use my accumulated experience & the wise ears of my collaborators to get something nearer to done.
Good drumming PI. The song works with a slightly looser style - obvioulsy why Joe pitched it in your direction. Good choice Joe.

Absolutely great drumming, Jason! You really give the song a nice live feel! Drum sound is perfect to me (we'll see what Greg and Rami think....;) Of course it's still a rough mix but the basics are there. The rythm guitars have to come up a bit, even in the clean ones in the verse. Whether they need any EQing, I guess it's up to you to decide. Vocal level sounds OK to me, don't know if there's any need to make them louder. I really like what you're doing with this, thanx for taking the time!

You're right, Squbble, it is different from my usual style. Since it's kind of a blues-rocky thing, I only recorded 2 guitar tracks using just my Strat, 'cos I think this style needs a single coil sound. I think that once Jason gets the levels right, they'll be standing out more. I think with just 2 guitar tracks it retains a nice raw sound. Thanx for the great comments!

Thanx Keith! I love to to collab with Jason, 'cos he plays drums with a great feel. There's less distortion on the guitars, I was going more for a tube sound, neck pick-up and all. Definitely didn't want the song to go metal.....
Be proud you're Scottish, Scots have a great sense of humour.....and you invented whiskey....I tip my scotch glass in you direction!:drunk::D

COOL. Def another stylistic sidestep from Joe. He'd be hard to tackle if he played Rugby. The upfront nature of the drums & the less so placement of the vocals give it a live feel - that's not a bad thing - a GREAT live recording it would be.
Wah wah - I love it.
I have a new thing I'm working on at present but am TRYING to hold back posting until I have it pretty much in the bag. Normally I post early & use the expertise of the forum to get things right. This time I'm going to try to use my accumulated experience & the wise ears of my collaborators to get something nearer to done.
Good drumming PI. The song works with a slightly looser style - obvioulsy why Joe pitched it in your direction. Good choice Joe.

Rugby??:eek:
I'd have to move to play that....and it makes me think of broken bones, somehow....:D
I'm looking forward to hearing our new one ready too...;)
Thanx for the comments!

Great tune guys...can't go wrong with these guys collaborating :D
- the snare drum's a bit too loud
- the vocals are good where they are
- the rhythms probably gonna have to come up but need to drop the drums to see
:D:D:D:D:D

Well done both of you. I agree with much of what has already been said...rhythm guitars up please - drums maybe down a tad. Level-wise that's about it for me. Sounds fine as is, but just a little more balance and you'd be golden. I like the guitar sound on this and think you've already got sufficient fullness with just the two guitars. Again, nice job so far.

Wah wah - I love it.

Ray. Thanks for your thorough review. I've found you to be a guy who says what he believes, so your comments mean a lot to me. I've posted a new mix below. Hopefully this one is a bit better.

Absolutely great drumming, Jason! You really give the song a nice live feel! Drum sound is perfect to me (we'll see what Greg and Rami think....;) Of course it's still a rough mix but the basics are there. The rythm guitars have to come up a bit, even in the clean ones in the verse. Whether they need any EQing, I guess it's up to you to decide. Vocal level sounds OK to me, don't know if there's any need to make them louder. I really like what you're doing with this, thanx for taking the time!

Joey. There are some people in this world who are worth the time, even while wrangling a family of 4 kids, working a full time job, and trying to run a profitable studio. Your music will always be welcomed here, my brother. heh... Your music gives my rhythm a run for its money, for sure.

Thanks again, my friend. (new mix below)

Great tune guys...can't go wrong with these guys collaborating :D
- the snare drum's a bit too loud
- the vocals are good where they are
- the rhythms probably gonna have to come up but need to drop the drums to see
:D:D:D:D:D

Agreed on all counts, except the vocals. They needed to come way up, all is counted for in the new mix below.

Well done both of you. I agree with much of what has already been said...rhythm guitars up please - drums maybe down a tad. Level-wise that's about it for me. Sounds fine as is, but just a little more balance and you'd be golden. I like the guitar sound on this and think you've already got sufficient fullness with just the two guitars. Again, nice job so far.

Thank you, man. Your comments are valuable to me. Did pretty much what everyone said plus quite a bit more with the new mix below.

New Mix of Out of the Rain by Joe Mizzi

New mix sounds great, Jason! Nice levels, guitars nice and crunchy, Snare sounds lovely as does the whole kit, actually! Nice work, bro!:)

Back